Protection Warrior talends

Hello there my fellow TANKERS! I m really glad to say that fun is back on warrior tank (at least for me… really enjoying it). I would like some advice from some “experts” here.

1)Has anyone else tested VENGEANCE over BOOMING VOICE? i was testing this in so many runs in m+ and i dont know maybe its my idea but i kinda find my self having way better survivability being able to spam more IGNORE PAINS and also keep my SHIELD BLOCK up always when i need it + bolster talend for LAST STAND.

and

1. what about Never Surrender talend. now that IGNORE PAIN IS off gcd would it be any usefull? (havent tried it yet cause the thing that it scales with missing health doesnt really sound well)

Thats all folks.

1. there some niche situations where Vengance is a better pick than Booming Voice but thats only on very high Mythic + keys and typically only on fortified weeks overall Booming voice is still the best option for damage and rage generation, there is a detailed explanation on the icy veins prot warrior guide that explains this in more detail than I care to type out here that I highly recommend you give a read.

2. Never surrender is still bad even after the changes to Ignore pain, you have to be allmost dead for the full 100% bonus of never surrender to kick in, Bolster is still hands down the best option on this row.

1 Like

Half the prot warrior talnent tree seems to make no sense at all…

The only thing that makes even a shred of sense is the following:

1. Impending victory
  2. all irrelevant
  3. unstoppable force
  4. Bolster
  5. All Irrelevant
  6. Devastator
  7. Anger Management

This is the only build I could make that had any reasonable survivability.

Impeding Victory is terrible, it’s a niche heal that most of the time don’t serve any purpose. Meanwhile ItF gives a lot of haste which means more rage and shield blocks.

Same thing to Devastator, Booming voice is just superior. It’s an on-demand 40 rage and its cooldown is reduced by Anger Management. And it even gives you more DPS making Prot aoe killing machine.

2 Likes

The Impending Victory/Devastator build is vastly more versatile than the Into the fray/booming voice build.

Impending victory is effectively a smaller last stand on a significantly shorter cooldown meaning you can produce far more health through this build while devastator saves you global cooldowns in favor of direct output of rage and dps, booming voice loses alot of its worth because of this.

Stop serving your anecdotal opinion as some of kind of truth when it is clearly wrong.

Impeding victory is not a mini Last stand, it’s a heal. Last stand increases your current and max hp thus increasing your effective health. Impeding victory is a terrible heal on long cooldown that relies on Killing blows for resets. Now good luck on getting those killing blows in a dungeon or raid environment. Besides, there’s a healer whose job is to do the healing part, your job as a warrior is to make that as easy as possible for them by reducing damage taken. Does IV reduce damage? No. Does ItF and Punish reduce damage WHILE INCREASING YOUR DAMAGE? Yes.

Then off to Devastator. it got gutted in BfA pre-patch with the removal of rage generated by autoattacks with it. Even if we’d assume it procced every 5th autoattack it still would not come close to BV since the Shield slam resets from Devastator would most likely just overlap with your resets from Thunder clap or Revenge.

2 Likes

I disagree

Thats fine

but your also dead wrong, Impending victory does less damage and nets you less effective health than Into the fray maintaining the 15% extra hase is not hard at all which translates to more ability use on our rage generating moves, which translates to more damage and more survivability via increased SB and IP uptime as a result of that extra rage.

Booming voice turns one of the key parts of the prot warrior rotation, maintaining Demo shout, into a considerably move valuable button press making us do 15% extra damage for pretty much the entirety of the fight and thats on top of the 20% damage reduction demo shout is doing anyway and the fact it generates 40 rage as well smoothes the rotation and again helps warriors maintain a higher uptime on SB and IP and thats not even taking into consideration azerite traits like Deafening crash that make it even better.

I wish it were different as I feel that there are some interesting talent options in the prot tree that could open up some different play styles but as it is right now there is a single talent build for prot that is hands down the best for not only survivability but dps as well and thats

Into the fray
Bounding stride or crackling thunder
Unstopable force
Bolster
Rumbling earth or Storm bolt
Booming voice
Anger Management

From what i have experienced. if you wanted a good smooth gampe play as prot for +10 and lower with the less headache ,you go booming voice+Anger management. It feels smooth and great ,also it is the best for protection warrior@ pvp with Moral kill. you will lower it to almost 15 sec for each booming sound use.

However , if you wanna the serious stuff it is on Devastator+Angermanagment. On that 40 rage 30 sec booming sound this talnet will gets you around 6-7 free slams which each are on 15 rage. It will give a great steady defense in contrary of booming sound on big fights. its gonna held you up with never surrender and will keep you alive all the time ,but bolster is great as well for a certian positions when you’re in a really bad spot.

As for the damage ,Devastator by far gives you the best overall damage compared to Booming Sound.

Bloodsport + Never surrender is just great.

i would keep dragon roar for when my party messes up or when i lose aggro. This talnet is an instance aggro for everything.

Impending Victory, is also a favorite for when you’re without a healer …which happens sometimes. It can save a game on dungeons. But raids i would go Into the Fray …its amazing.

Vengeance is bad. I hope everyone agree’s with that …

Thats it ,this is my insight for prot.

Then I demand real statistics to back this up.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nWJbJFR-a2hjG5C3p_Oi8aumGxQx9PD2sdoMFViJyck/edit#gid=0

I’ll pinpoint the key information

Over the 500 seconds long fight, Devastator generated 424 rage. Booming voice generated 720, almost 70 % more.

No, Never surrender is terrible as the current tuning of Ignore Pain is bad and you need to be on brink of death to gain full value out of it. Bolster is just too good to pass on since it increass your effective Shield Block uptime by weaving it between your Shield block downtimes, e.g you use both chargest of SB, then 1 more after ~12 seconds when it has recharged. Then you follow up with Last stand and let your SB charges recharge during LS. Once LS ends you use the recharged charges resulting into insanely long 100 % block uptime.

Nothing wrong with Bloodsport but there’s better options like Deafening Crash and Brace for Impact.

With Unstoppable force your every Thunder clap during avatar turns into an instance aggro for everything. Seriously with Into the Fray, Unstoppable force, Booming voice and Anger management prot turns into an aoe killing machine that regularly out-dps’es actual dps’es on aoe with Avatar. And you’ll pretty much have Avatar up for every second pack thanks to AM.

Already covered this earlier.

But still better than Devastator.

Like seriously guys, someone might enter this thread to seriously learn something from Prot and there are you two just spreading misinformation. You can play with your choices as much as you want to but sometimes it’s just better to stay quiet if you don’t really know anything about the subject.

4 Likes

I am one of those guys coming here to learn smth about prot warr and I am now even more confused…

So devastator or booming voice?
I have been using devastator in normal dungeons and I desided to switch to booming voice to try it out. I do not have that azerite piece to compliment my demoralising shout but nvm.

My problem with booming voice - I run out of rage especially in single target. With devastator I just have enough rage and shield slam procs.
I am not afraid that i will loose aggro in single target because of taunt but no rage is a problem.

So how do you guys have enough rage to do your stuff? With devastator I have rage for 100 percent ignore pain uptime as well as shield block and even sometimes I have to spent rage on revenge (above 90 percent) because I have both ignore pain and shield block active and thunder clap is about to come off cooldown.

I know I am tanking normal dungeons but then again in higher difficulty when ignore pain lasts for one hit rage starving will be a really bad problem. I have more than 10 sec downtime of each shout and usually during that time I can generate fir either one shield block or one ignore pain…

So help out. Maybe I am doing amth wrong. (i do not use devastate at all)

Prot is one of those specs that feel starved and terrible to play when leveling / being fresh 120 with bad gear, and then it just becomes miles better to play once you start getting more gear and haste.

You’re probably spamming Ignore pain too much. It has pathetic cap of 130 % which means that if you have 80 rage and use IP twice in a row, you waste 70 % of the other one. Here’s a nice WeakAura that tells when IP is safe to use without wasting rage https://wago.io/IgnorePainTracker. Also IP isn’t something you should seek to have 100 % uptime, it’s an ability you use to supplement your tanking aka use it when you’re soon capping rage and you already have your SBs rolling (or if you’re in danger of course). Later on in more difficult content IP will just melt away and it just becomes impossible to keep 100 % up. Shield block is your main tool.

The thing with Anger management is the more you use your abilities the more you can use them. If you keep hitting Demo shout on CD you get more rage that will then lead into more SBs and IPs and thus into more Demo shouts thanks to Anger management.

If you mean with Booming voice, then you absolutely should use Devastate to fill your downtime and fish for Shield slam resets since more shield slams equal more rage to use and more cooldown reduction to your CDs via Anger management. Remember the golden ABC rule, always be casting.

4 Likes

@Zengliu

I have a weakaura for Ignore pain that I made myself. The button glows when I have rage and I have no ignore pain buff. Only then I press it. I prefere not to press IP when I have one active.

As for devastate with booming voice, I am not pressing it. Might be just what I miss but… No idea whatsoever. Will try it. To me it seems as a wasted global cd. Will try again with booming voice tonight :slight_smile:

Wasted global cooldown compared to what? Not doing anything? But yeah, it’s a filler you use when you have nothing else to press. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

doing Gods work here my dude, listen to this person they are giving you good honest advice regarding prot warrior talents:+1:

2 Likes

So I played a few more dungeons with booming voice last night and my performance was pretty much ok. I was rage starved only in ST fights and I will try to add devastate to the rotation.

All in all booming voice was speeding my rotation and that ment more blocks and IP and revenge procs. And oh boy sometimes I was second in dps. So its definately the way to go.

Now the question is wich traits should I aim for?

They changed the rage generation model in BfA. Iirc before you got more rage the harder you got hit, now you get 3 rage everytime you get hit bit a small cooldown of about a second. So yeah being rage starved on bosses compared to trash is “normal” considering the fact that there’s usually only the boss hitting you.

Prot is lucky in that regard that all of our traits are pretty good thus you want to always take the prot trait over the generic trait in azerite gear. Even after the nerf Deafening crash is by far our best trait still. Overall the order goes somewhat like this.

1. Deafening crash
  2. Brace for Impact
  3. Iron fortress
  4. Bloodsport
  5. The revenge trait which name I can’t remember
  6. Bastion of might

Deafening crash is worth UP TO 45 ilvls, and yes if you get a 385 item without DC, you won’t use it to replace your current 340 DC item. Also you only want one copy of DC, since its only stacking part is the Thunderclap damage. The Demo shout extension doesn’t stack. With rest traits, consider ~15 ilvls to be an upgrade.

Then from the 2nd row Azerite veins, Lifespeed, Crystalline carapace, Blood siphon and Winds of war are great. And from 3rd row you’ll be looking for Gemhide and Impassive visage.

1 Like

Thanks. Well I will soon start tanking heroics and mythic 0. Its about time for me to learn that role.

So far I have been healing but I have always wanted to tank. Its just that it seemed too hard of a role while healing is easier than dpsing :slight_smile:

Of all tanks I will learn on warrior.

Last question. How do you know if boss dmg is physical or magic? And how do you know if smth is blockable (so you mitigate with shield block) or not blockable so you mitigate as much with ignore pain, spell reflect and pummel?

Also how do you know when to kite? (how do you hold aggro with warrior while kiting given no slow and no ranged attacks? DK, pala, bm monk and even guardian druid with balance affinity can do that but warriors?)

Check out this spreadsheet, credit to Sense from warrior discord for it
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRvMMhBT1xyvECDvAlxXirfLYtgzYZ18vjY3zRyA4LU7NgVg5Vmj-MroMT5W6i94q0aYNodyer0hbZ3/pubhtml#

Since prot CDs are quite short thanks to AM I charge in, facetank as much as I can with cooldowns if necessary and then heroic leap away when things start getting too uncomfortable.