PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Orcs salivating.

Though it should still be in Thura’s hands, no reason not to give us copycat model for funsies.

5 Likes

I am getting so done with the Titans = bad, Light = bad, Void = not as bad as we thought storytelling.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/titans-protecting-their-interests-in-the-war-within-but-not-necessarily-ours-342746

2 Likes

final fantasy 14 and its consequences have been disastrous for the wow narrative.

9 Likes

Glad to know I’m not the only person rolling my eyes at the article.
Even though I think that narrative is still fun, in the rare occasion it’s done right.

3 Likes

The narrative is fun, and the war with N’Zoth in 8.3 could have been its pinnacle. We should have seen his version of the visions instead of the cartoon about the evil faceless ones and leaders falling to corruption, and maybe the idea of uniting under his banner would not be too bad. Damn, even Aysa Cloudsinger in the vision of the Vale doesn’t tell us a word, even to her fellow Pandaren monks, even though someone like her could have been a voice of reason behind this mess. More than that, if the tol’vir in Uldum and the Rajani alike had a consensus on the need to start the planetary purge and/or evacuation of Azeroth in case the Void begins winning, it would have looked far more realistic and we might not have needed articles like this. But alas, it seems that the Forge of Origination is forgotten by the storywriters.

Shouldn’t have broken their oaths!

1 Like

Literally every Titanforged race (and their keepers) have broken their oaths, atleast once or twice, but now they suddenly need an enforcer to put them back in place like, wth.

Most of the mortal races are literally cursed versions of their original forms, and that was fine. But now a group of Earthen don’t want to follow the edicts anymore and they suddenly need to be purged?

2 Likes

It’s not now tbh, it was something probably put in place for that particular station ages ago and us doing the thing triggers it. It’s an extremely basic scifi trope.

Is oath breaking really that bad?

That’s how you end up as a slayer.

1 Like

But why only that station and not something as important as the Engine of Nalak’she? Forge of Origination?

There’s another path. One further east. One in a land of ash and smoke.

Come to the dark side…you know what we have.

Most likely because it’s an important titan facility that they could not allow to fall to “corruption”. So they put safeguards in place if the earthen would for some reason abandon their purpose at this site.

true i hate world of warcraft wrath of the lich king too

If by fine you mean that their same titan edicts thought the world to be unrecoverable all the way back in Wrath of the Lich King back in 2008 only for mortals to stop Algalon midway through the process of enacting annihilatus on the entirety of Azeroth, then, yes! They totally were fine with mortals. They’ve only openly talked about how people on Azeroth are corrupted abominations and tried to actively purge it like, what, three times now in the storyline?

The titans haven’t been the best of people all along. People can’t seriously be hanging the events of the First and the Second War and its consequences over the head of current orc characters’ head like the Sword of Damocles despite them being fooled by supernatural forces, only to turn around and start going ‘no but Loken was a good guy he was just deceived by Yogg’Saron :pleading_face:.’

They have been dungeon bosses, raid bosses, and narrative villains that have openly wished genocide upon all the world since 2004. Blizzard hasn’t really deviated from their narrative just because people’s headcanons about what the titans are and how they view people and are viewed by people don’t match up with the reality of their lore. The few times there have been good titanforged characters, they’ve been actively disobeying their higher ups.

4 Likes

By the point that the Curse of Flesh was well and truly taking hold, the majority of the keepers were incapable of doing anything. Odyn was locked away, Loken was a thrall of Yogg-Saron, the other keepers of Northrend were incapacitated in a variety of different ways and Ra-den was too busy drowning in despair to care about anything.

Tyr, Archaedas and Ironaya are all exceptions to this and they were all planning to oppose and undo the machinations of Loken and Yogg-Saron - likely including the Curse of Flesh.

And most of the infected titanforged did view the curse negatively and try to stave it off by entering an extended period of hibernation that lasted for millennia.

My guess is that all of those facilities were constructed and monitored by Titans, whereas Khaz Algar seems like it was a remote facility without any significant oversight from any greater titanforged.

As always, I’m going to defend this particular storyline and this theme of the Titans being clingy, overzealous care-takers. I know that some people take issue with this depiction of the Titans as flawed demiurges and consider it subversive, out of the belief that they should be depicted as truly benevolent and just creator deities who stand for goodness and righteousness, but I personally like this interpretation of them, that has been a part of the setting since WoW’s release - see Uldaman.

1 Like

The experiments within Uldir conducted tests upon countless lifeforms, including several loa who inhabited the forests around Zandalar. After the experiments proved lethal, the loa’s remains were disposed of improperly, much to the delight of the dark consciousness imprisoned within Uldir.

Eff the titans.

All my troll homies hate the titans.

5 Likes

WotLK never depicted the Titans :tm: as Bad.

They depicted them as distant and not understanding of mortal flaws, and the caretakers they left behind as just as flawed as the mortals, but also that the caretakers were willing to listen and learn (after we beat the snot outta them).

But now they’re just depicted as “If you dont follow Order, you must be purged!”… which is also strangely opposite of how they were depicted willing to sacrifice themselves (and their plan of imposing Order on the universe) to stop Ol’ Sargy in Legion.

Never said they should be depicted as that specifically, I just said I am tired of the Titans bieng depicted as Bad.

They can be good in a different way than what we concieve, distant and with their sights on the finish line without going “lol, these earthen in a backwater facility are doing their own thing even if thousands of earthen preceded them, lets purge these specific earthen!”

Nobody cares for trolls. They’re even lower on the intelligence index than cows or murlocs.

https://youtu.be/L1XmubgIyq4?si=DZrr05NK4VdjHdQq

Look and hear these evil, evil biengs speak how they wanna purge the Children of Azeroth and not allow them to go home! Such vile creatures!

Or that other Seat of the Pantheon cinematic were Aman’thul urges the mortals to fight for the fate of their world because they are still too weakened to confront Argus and assist us!

2 Likes

is it truly a discussion about warcraft without having to drop that yes, things usually have been a certain way or set up years in advance

We have gone from cold, distant caretakers to “KILL THE CHILDREN IF THEY MISBEHAVE” which is stupid, and I find it funny that people coping out of their gourds trying to pretend this has always been the case.

8 Likes

Almost like, as has been proven time and time again, the Devs can’t keep their own lore straight, and keep falling back on “What do we want to do Now, regardless of what came before” and Rule Of (not so) Cool while ignoring the Lore Bible (lmao) as and when they see fit.

And people keep defending stuff and trying to piece together what is effectively a jigsaw puzzle that someones dog ate half of…

2 Likes