PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

How is “they don’t take kindly to disobedience” a departure in attitude to “unknown lifeform trying to access historical archives->murder them”.

'cos they seem pretty damn similar to me

Or to turn it around, when have we ever seen the Titans take kindly to disobedience?

Perhaps they were once super patient and benevolent. When Sargeras began acting increasingly erratic and they did little to intervene however, they learned a very harsh lesson in what happens when giving insubordination too much time to fester.

So they turned around and went full-sprint in the other direction.

Or maybe they were always orderly control freaks. :woman_shrugging:

The guys associated with Order (as written by Chris Metzen in Chronicles 1, 2010) being control freaks? Nahhhhh…

Interestingly, the titans were fine with disobedience in Classic.
The projection of Norgannon’s servant mentions how the dwarves are an “acceptable” variant of the earthen, and acknowledges them as having free will.

Even in WOTLK the titans did not seemingly care so much about disobedience. Algalon was indifferent and calculated the maximum utility. In a way, you can say that he’s a despot, that he’s authoritarian, but control and order were, so-to-speak, a means to an end: keeping Azeroth safe from a greater evil, the Old Gods.

But with the myth of Elune and Eonar being in love, and Aman’Thul appearing as an authoritarian despot, aswell as the whole TWW depiction of the titans being unable to take “no” for an answer, or Odyn and his edicts, I can’t help but imagine they’re going in a whole different direction, with certain titans being obsessed about control at all costs, and control being an end in itself because… duh, they’re creatures from the realm of “order” (whatever that means).

4 Likes

That doesn’t really work when it also says troggs are unacceptable does it.

The trogg retains some composition of Azeroth’s various stone core compounds, but the loss of cognitive power makes this variant unacceptable to the Creators.
The trogg procreates as per a standard biomass. By default it consumes stone and anything else it can acquire, including other troggs. Cannibalism is considered unacceptable by the Creators.

Why it doesn’t work?

Because clearly they’re not fine with troggs?

Yeah, how is that a problem in what I said?

As I said: one has to differentiate between someone completely authoritarian, a despot for being a despot’s sake, and someone who believes their creation should uphold certain standards of life, albeit somewhat coldly.

The titans were never, how to put it, depicted as perfect. They did not have the qualities of a christian divinity, of loving everyone and everything. In that, they were much more Greek-like, cultivating standards of beauty, a certain type of civilization, and so forth. But they were seemingly accepting -us-, that is, the playable races, and the cultures we developed.

It shows they believed independence and deviation from their standard/original creation/vision was fine as long as it respected certain parameters, and that they were seemingly accepting freedom of choice. As of the final titan, I am inclined to doubt they will remain as tolerant towards us, and they come across a bit Denathrius/Jailer-like in their approach: I am cosmic team X, thus everything will be turned into my team.

Sorry but, it is lazy writing.

Eh...

In general, I always believe the titans suffered a bit from the same thing Sylvanas suffers from: different writers’ visions colliding with one another. Certain writers tried to depict them as benevolent, overall good-willed and so forth, whereas others tried to depict them as heartless, and more villain-like. In many ways, I think Algalon was a good synthesis of these two worlds, and worked nicely. But I doubt the Final Titan will work in the same way.

Yeah I think we’re kinda forgetting that everyone’s hopes and wishes for these things to all remain unanswered about the mythos and cosmos of WoW are going to get unraveled over the next 4~ years given that we have straight up confirmation this trilogy is going to be a “War in Heaven” style trilogy with all the Gods coming to Azeroth as a form of battlefield. How on earth they’re going to make it believable, in-universe, to have every single God suddenly beaming down to Azeroth to partake in “Reni’lash” I do not know because frankly its going to be insanely jarring, but it is going to happen :person_shrugging:.

1 Like

And also, mind you, I think I should say this before my post is misunderstood: I understand why the phrase of Mr.Titan Projection guy is a bit on the nose.

Placed in context (the early 2000s), I think the quote against cannibalism was meant to be reassuring: it is a bit like a throw-back to some kind of Indiana Jones movie or some such, where the hero opposes the dehumanizing stuff of… ahem, different groups. Yeah… It gives us a bit “classic centaur” vibes doesn’t it.

In WoW, troggs are depicted as stupid cave-dwellers which harm everyone in their path, including themselves, don’t really have a culture aside from eating and bashing things, and are just cruel and brutish. Today, we kind of see through these things, and it is, to put it mildly, a bit on the nose.
BUT I doubt this was the writers’ intention back then. It is embarassing to think about it, so I am trying my best not to see it.

I thought that was retconned out with their souls being captured by Sargeras and the Legion :frowning:

Jaina explaining the history of the Kaldorei Empire, when Shandris was just chilling next to her, still pisses me off to no end! Shandris literally lived in the Kaldorei Empire, yet we have Jaina explaining it to us! D:<

I will die on the Hill that Gods should stay Gods.
Talked about in legends and what not, not somethings to be deconstructed and shown as equals to the adventurers!

3 Likes

You: “Titans are okay with disobedience (no qualifiers added) because they accept the dwarves as an anomaly.”
Me: “Titans are not okay with disobedience, because they do not accept troggs as an anomaly.”

They’re not okay with all ‘disobedience’, clearly.

So they’re not okay with some disobedience then? Like maybe smashing up their Edicts?

I’m glad you agree that this latest thing is not a deviation from how the Titans have been portrayed since…Vanilla.

Its weird because they’re totally chill with Trolls and even teach them how to build architecture just like theirs and use magic like the Arcane, despite Trolls in Blizzard storytelling generally being depicted as primal and savage - something that in nu-wow speak should go against the Titans being “beings of pure order” (just ignore that every Titan actually represents a completely different cosmic force).

2 Likes

No, they were not fine with ALL TYPES of disobedience. In fact, I very much said in the first topic that caused you to disagree that:

They still had some controlling traits, and that they were all but flawless, and that obviously they wouldn’t have been fine with -ALL- types. So stuff like this:

Some is ambiguous, but I stand by what I said: yeah, certain types of disobedience were not okay - they would have never been fine with mortals siding with the Old Gods, duh.

Again, you are trying to reframe what people say in the most ungenerous way. It is not smart, it is cheap.

If you can’t see a difference in how their values/methods are depicted in the older versions of the game, and how they come across as much more despotic and cartoonish in this newer one, all because you are more focused on trying to nit-pick certain elements to have a gotcha moment, the fault is not on me.

There weren’t really ‘edicts’ in the old version of the titans to begin with.

I think at this point ya’ll really need your own thread, because this is going way, WAY beyond PTR stuff, frankly.

5 Likes

This conversation will rear its ugly head again whenever there is any new information about anything relevant to the Titans (or the Light, for the matter), as has been the case throughout the entirety of Dragonflight.

So, it would be pointless.

So why are people circular-ly arguing about it?

Agree to disagree, and people could stop clogging the thread?

Because information breeds discourse, for better or worse, especially when its new information that rewrites or recontextualises older information.

The issue isn’t necessarily one where this is “possible” in good faith, because its discourse regarding incorrect and inconsistent perceptions and writings on different parts of the lore. That makes it particularly hard to just shrug and agree-to-disagree. But it doesn’t seem like there’s any sort of compromise either so we come to the Great Impass. People feel strongly in the WoW community about this and like I said earlier this thread is a microcosm of a much bigger, ongoing discussion so its bound to continuing rearing its head as new information and lore from the PTR continues to come out.

I don’t have much an opinion or stake beyond what’s been discoursed to half-death in this thread and the wider community, but Troll Lore?

I may be wrong, but the Zandalari were taught the Arcane by the Mogu in exchange for knowledge of the world beyond Pandaria. That, and as much as I revile the off-handed mention that the architecture of Zandalar took inspiration from G’huun’s seals, there wasn’t an explicitly open line of communication with the likes of Hezrel and MOTHER. The Zandalari as a society value order and denounce corruption like Hakkar orr G’huun, and the trolls as a whole saved the planet from Aqir, i.e Old God goop from overtaking everything.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure whether that still held up with the confirmation of Troll tribes hanging out in the Dragon Isles and other places when the continent was still one, but I can’t find anything that contradicts it beyond “Shadow Hunters led Tribes in ancient times” but that could easily mean Shadow Hunters back then explicitly used Voodoo magic (which might be Shadow? Or Arcane? Or Nature? Or all 3? I don’t think Blizzard is ever explicit and we’ve seen all 3 used to represent it).

It doesn’t seem like there’s any confirmation of where the Zandalari aesthetic itself explicitly comes from, but the fact that that they’re all based on/around MOTHER/Hezrel etc. way of dressing with geometric patterns and a mix of Amerindian cultural aesthetics it was probably inspired by the Keepers/Watchers or alternatively the Keepers/Watchers were inspired by the Trolls.