PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

This.

6 Likes

It is rather wild how people keep using Algalon as an example - it feels purposefully anti-intellectual to me. Algalon isn’t a guy who presses a button and everything goes boom because he wanted it. There are several protocols and steps you need to go through before Algalon is even willing to come down and make sure you aren’t BS’ing him; the Prime Designate needs the authority to transmit a signal to the pantheon, who then chuck Algalon down to check, Algalon checks the transmission protocols to make sure they’re correct, Algalon begins a systemic scan of the planet to see if it is too far gone and can’t be salvaged etc.

I do not know why people continue to deliberately obfuscate the fact that Loken purposefully disabled all these steps and protocols and then sent a false transmission code and set-up a false tribunal system in a corrupted forge of wills to give Algalon incorrect, falsified data. Its ridiculous. Its such an important context. What Algalon does is objectively correct, even from a human perspective, if 90% of my planet is covered in Eldritch Cancer I’ll be real with you I don’t want to try and survive, I’d rather take the option of reorigination to ensure my planet is reset, cleansed of corruption and life can regrow and people can live free of that horror.

All of this done under the will of the Void and Yogg-Sarron, to boot. But don’t worry because [checks notes] it was totally the Titans fault guys! Blegh, purposefully anti-intellectual in every way.

7 Likes

Where and when exactly are they hiding this 12-gauge shotgun under babies crip in the new lore?

How is this new instalment any different than any prior Titan defence instalment in any of their other facilities installed across Azeroth?

So far the argument has been “It just is.”

2 Likes

I think the discussion, several tens of posts ago, changed to discussing the overall nature of modern Titan and cosmic worldbuilding lore in WoW, not just the Khaz Algar defence system. Thus, Zodeyak’s response is I think intended to differentiate between major player disagreeing viewpoints over how modern Titan lore is interpreted and written.

Do you think blizzard will remember that Wrathion ate aman’thul’s soul in MoP for the Last Titan

Seems unlikely, since “the guy who worked out how to counteract void corruption with a potion” doesn’t seem to have any part TWW so far either.

Maybe he’s busy making a new cloak for Alleria so he can’t show up. Locked up with his sewing machine.

5 Likes

It continues to be insane to me that we now have, like, 3 relatively simple cure-alls for void corruption forever and we’re now just ignoring them after Blizzard wrote them into the story over the last 3 expacs lmfao. Made stranger that Wrathion, Man who knows everything about the Void on Azeroth, is being weirdly ignored in the Void trilogy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

Make the Pillars of Creation into a tourist trap so that everyone gets a taste of Titanic power and becomes void-immune.

3 Likes

Just a quick note, it’s not really constructive to make vague comments about how “some people” are “coping out of their gourds,” “blind, dogmatic shills” and “anti-intellectual,” all because of a disagreement about the consistency of how the Titans have been depicted in the Warcraft setting - because of a discussion about a video game.

Feels like a bit of a vitriolic overreaction if you ask me. We’re also cognizant of the fact that you’re talking about us, the people who are disagreeing with you in this thread.

4 Likes

The argument is generally anti-intellectual because it deliberately obfuscates a lot of lore. The people are not anti-intellectual (at least I would hope).

To elaborate slightly because I realise that’s not entirely helpful: I don’t think anyone here is particularly a ‘shill’ of Blizzard, everyone here is either cynical about the story because we’ve been burned 50 times in the past or they’re trying to retain a glass-half-full optimism towards the future of the story despite previous major failures. Neither is wrong, neither is right. But our discussion in this thread is a microcosm of a much bigger on-going discussion in the WoW community as a whole and is one that the community has found itself wrangling with for the better part of almost a decade and there are people who blindly salute the Blizzard flag to their own misfortune - particularly the content creators (for fair enough reasons mind you, I understand they need to eat and drink and pay the bills).

2 Likes

How have they changed the overall nature of the Modern Titan(s) exactly if Khaz Algar’s defence system falls with the consistency of other Titanic instalments throughout Azeroth and the lore itself?

Where and when exactly does the Nuke turn into a 12-gauge shotgun, when does the plague turn into a baby’s crib, exactly?

The Algar defence system spawned this debate, whether or not it is consistent to the Titan(s) and their Keepers lore which I think it is and I don’t see how this one instance changes, well, if anything at all.

It feels to me more that people have assigned a benevolence to the Titan(s) which we just haven’t seen in any of the lore thus far, equally, I think people are assigning a malice to the Titans we haven’t seen either. - They’ve always been the absent gardeners who are not afraid to prune ‘their garden’ for what they view as the greater good.

Our whole role or plot for us as the ants that meet the Boot (repeatedly) is for us to have our own GOURDS thinking on whether or not the end justifies the means, why, why not.

And I for one hope we never get the answer because it’s infinitely more interesting to have the Titan(s) vague posting than knowing they are the Good guys or the Bad guys.

But it doesn’t. We acknowledge the fact that Algalon isn’t a big meanie killing people on a whim, he’s part of a failsafe system. Just like how the Edicts and the Colossal Titan Construct are part of a failsafe system as well, rather than the Titans killing people out of petty cruelty. There are less steps than Algalon, because one facility isn’t as much of an investment as all of Azeroth, but the steps are still there. It’s not just wanton slaughter because disobedience.

And I’m reaching the point where I’m willing to brand this refusal to acknowledge the complexities of the Khaz Algar situation as anti-intellectualism as well, since you and other seems to be purposefully refusing to explore the logic of the Titans and why they would set up such a system in the first place. It’s easier for “some people” to make hyperbolic analogies about shooting toddlers and complain about how the game doesn’t pander to your religious values as much as it used to.

3 Likes

This equally feels like a vitriolic overreaction I would say, no? Branding people as hyperbolic old boomers who aren’t getting their religious values appealed too for disagreeing with the fumbling and inconsistent writing of mythological and theological elements of Warcraft.

I myself am not religious and as far as I know many of those who agree with me aren’t as well, some are even Atheists. I’m just not willing to be ignorant to the clear and present Christian themes and storytelling that Warcraft has used for its characters and worldbuilding. Those are old themes by now, yes and the worldbuilding even older, but deliberately being obtuse and saying that they aren’t christian themes, or that its mad to think they are, is deliberate ignorance because the writing for it is, quite literally, on the wall.

Whether you agree with these Christian themes and worldbuilding elements existing is a completely different matter and everyone is entitled to their own view there, but to say that Warcraft doesn’t have major and core christian thematics in its characterisation and worldbuilding is just pure nonsense.

2 Likes

It was the Thunder Kings Heart, but I see what you mean! Especially since his Soul empowered Jaina’s Staff to allow her to divine spells like summoning s a floating ship to besiege Lordaeron Keep on her own…!

Wrathion alone knew more then all of the Shen’dralar remnants combined. We burned their library and somehow this immortal beings forgot everything related to the Void with it, even if Wrathion lamented the loss of knowledge with the burning of their library :smiling_face_with_tear:

Feels like they were working towards making the Shen’dralar relevant again, only to switch gears and make them relevant to the Night Elves-only and forego any and all other knowledge from a secret society of Imperial Night Elves focused solely on research :weary:

1 Like

It’s not inconsistent though. The Titans deploying lethal force when you step outside their standard processes is kind of normal for them. They’re not exactly inviting people in or sharing the depths of their knowledge. Every time we try to access stuff they say we’re not allowed to, their automated defense systems start going murder mode.

We saw this with the Tribunal of Ages in Wrath. We tried to access some info and it deployed a bunch of murderconstructs and laserbeams. despite the records we went for being…histories. Uldaman did the same thing, where just trying to get in immediately jumped to lethal defenses.

How is this Edicts stuff any different?

It had a portion of Aman’thul’s soul in it (which Lei Shen acquired when he stole Ra-den’s powers).

1 Like

Sometimes I think about the fact Prince Tortheldrin was alive in Legion and then in Chronicles 3 they randomly wrote that the Horde destroyed Eldre’Thalas and killed the Prince for defending it. Truly insane piece of writing to hide in a book, this man defied space-time to be alive in Legion and then went back to die in Year 25 during a random Horde destruction of Eldre’Thalas that occurred for seemingly no reason?

1 Like

I mean, it tracks.

Azshara shows up, THE number one long term nemesis of Tyrande and we get… Lor’themar and Jaina. I think? I can’t even remember, Nazjatar was THAT un-memorable.

5 Likes

Because the cutscene description shows us the authorial intent behind it. The Colossus doesn´t awake because of defensive protocols in case of console being lost due to huge battle with Void, it appears because destruction of the console means Earthen are disobedient and Titans don´t like that.

Now to answer the question that would likely be asked by someone: Why should the intent matter when the text itself may not support it? Because the author is still writing the story.

It doesn´t matter when J.K. Rowling comes on Twitter and says Harry Potter was actually time-travelling porcupine, the story has been finished and unless she writes new books, anything she says can be ignored.
But when Blizzard writes in their cinematic description “The Titans don´t take kindly to disobedience”, it´s important because we will interact with those Titans in few years. When Last Titan comes and the Titans return back to Azeroth, they won´t be the distant, absent gardeners willing to prune the garden, they will be tyrants coming to enslave the world according to their Order again.

This is why people kept getting angry at all the “Uhm, aktchually the Black Empire had some cool inventions.” stuff from Dragonflight because it was showing how Blizzard viewed their story and how they might develop it when the focus shifts to this theme (fortunately, I think with Metzen back, we´re safe from this as I believe Light = bad, Void = good was one of Danuserisms).

We will get the answer in 2027 when Last Titan releases (if Blizzard sticks with the 18 month expansion plan).

4 Likes

He shows up to toss the Void cure-all potion at Xal’atath in this leaked cinematic.

1 Like

His whole Legion appearance was actually confirmed a non-canon easter egg level reference to the original corrupted ashbringer mythos players cooked up on how to obtain it.

A chunk of Legion was much like WoD; deliberate nostalgia bait wedged into the rest of the expansion with references to old content, books and niche lore for the fans.

4 Likes

And here lies the issue. - I think you are jumping the gun with the assumption that the Titan(s) will be tyrants intent on coming back to enslaving the world on a singular line meant to describe a Titanic failsafe meant to indeed crack down on disobedience.

I don’t see how it is NOT waking up due to defensive protocols, you are assuming that the Colossus wakes up with the context of what actually transpired throughout our questing experience and decides to exterminate us as opposed to simply waking up due to the disobedience of the Earthern, which might mean several things including potential void-corruption.

We’ve seen past defensive machination and sentinels operating under the same parameters, to destroy anything that might be a threat, whether they are there to plunder secrets or ‘corrupt’. - It wasn’t until recently that our Free Will and Mortal lives were put into perspective for the Titan(s) or more so their keepers when we quite literally beat one within the inch of their lives to prove it.

So unless I missed a quest/lore bit where the Titan(s) and or their Keeper, or Algalon send out an update to every Titanic console on the planet updating their defensive parameters they were first installed with telling them that “Free will is cool now, chill.” I don’t see how this is an alteration of how the Titan(s) have behaved with any of their prior instalments and I think it’s a stretch to divine the intent and will of the Titans from it given our prior interactions with them.

and I understand that frustration, I share in that frustration but I don’t think this cutscene line is such a moment, it looks more like a fairly standard interaction with a Titanic failsafe.

I like how you completely ignored the whole point of my comment that this isn´t about some interpretation of the in-game lore but rather about interpretation of the authorial intent.

And authorial intent here is to me quite clear given how the cutscene placeholder text in Beta says “The Titans don´t take kindly to disobedience”.

4 Likes