Updating Torghast this Week

Since the launch of Shadowlands, we’ve been constantly evaluating and reacting to the player experience in Torghast, Tower of the Damned. In previous weeks, we’ve made surgical changes to address pain points. This week, with the opening of a much more difficult section of the tower, we’ve seen a great deal of feedback from players that we feel is best addressed with a whole slate of updates. Some of these changes have already gone live with hotfixes over the last 24 hours, and the rest will be applied to the game today (and possibly tomorrow).

In summary, we want to reduce the length of a Torghast run, increase players’ success rates for a few specializations that are struggling more than the others, and give players more options in dealing with the challenges that Torghast presents. Here are the changes we’re making:

Torghast, Tower of the Damned

• Health and damage of all creatures in Torghast reduced by 6% at Layer 1, increasing to 26% at Layer 8.
    • Developers’ note: The net effect should be that Layer 8 is now roughly as difficult as Layer 6 was prior to this change, with other Layers’ difficulty is reduced proportionally.
  • Health of all creatures reduced for players in groups by up to 25%.
  • Damage of all creatures reduced for 4- and 5-player groups by up to 20%.
  • When the Empowered enemy at the end of a floor is a spellcaster, they should now have a longer delay between their basic magic damage spells.
    • Developers’ note: The goal of this change is to make powerful spellcasters less punishing for specializations that lack a frequent interrupt.
  • For all classes, major cooldowns will now reset when you transition to a new floor.
    • Developers’ note: This functionality should mirror the way cooldowns reset at the end of a raid encounter, or when starting a Mythic Keystone dungeon, affecting most abilities with a cooldown of 3 minutes or longer.
  • Anima Powers/Cells
    • The starting Anima Cell in Torghast now offers a stronger selection of Anima powers.
    • Anima Cells dropped by rare creatures within Torghast now always have at least 3 choices to choose from.
    • The chance for an Anima Cell to drop from a creature on any given floor has been increased.
    • Unnatural Power no longer provides immunity to crowd controlling effects at 10 stacks.
  • Enemies
    • Massive Crusher’s Armor Plating cast time increased to 3 seconds (was 1 second) and can be interrupted and/or dispelled. Recast time increased to 16 seconds (was 8 seconds).
    • Tower Sentinel’s Oppressive Aura haste reduction and slow now scales up to 10% (was 25%).
    • Deadsoul Chorus’s Death Blast now reduces healing received by 15% and stacks 5 times (was 25% and stacks 4 times).
    • Skeletal Remains and Lumbering Creation’s Bone Shrapnel now marks the ground and then explodes after 2 seconds, giving players time to move away (was instant).
    • Deadsoul Stalker now fades away after 15 melee attacks (was 7) and remains hidden for 15 seconds (was 30 seconds).
    • Deadsoul Devil now reincarnates with 15% health remaining (was at 40% health).
  • Bosses
    • Elder Longbranch’s Bounty of the Forest cast time increased to 4 seconds (was 2 seconds), time between casts increased to 45 seconds (was 30 seconds), and Hardened Shell now only requires 6 attacks or skills to remove (was 9 attacks).
    • Decayspeaker’s Hardened Shell now only requires 6 attacks or skills to remove (was 9 attacks).
    • Goxul the Devourer’s Health and damage decreased by 10%, and time between casts of Mass Devour increased to 36 seconds (was 18 seconds).
  • Torments and Upper Reaches
    • Fracturing Forces and Eye of Skoldus enemies’ health and damage reduced by 50%, now increase assassin health by 5% per stack (was 10%).
    • Fracturing Forces and Eye of Skoldus enemies will no longer ambush players who have recently been in combat.
    • The Jailer’s Directive now increases health by 10% (was 50%).

You’ll find all of the changes above noted in our ongoing Hotfixes Update post soon after they go live.

56 Likes

in before shadowlands saved posts

Xmas came early!

Thx !

3 Likes

Seems like some pretty good changes overall.

Shorter runs will be nice and the end of level spellcasters being more forgiving is a good change.

3 Likes

This all looks amazing! Thank you! :blue_heart:

1 Like

Making it quicker is a win.

4 Likes

As someone who hates torghast I’m pretty satisfied with those changes. It will make things easier and the whole thing shorter.

Is it optimal ? No , but it’s on the right path

Still not worth doing it. I want to play WoW, not Diablo.

17 Likes

Thank you so much for these changes.

I was really enjoying Torghast until I went into Layer 7.
Layers 1 to 6 were fun, layer 7 was a train wreck.
The Empowered Imperial Duelist was doing 52K dps to me (Prot spec) in 3 hits.

These changes are welcome.

1 Like

And there it goes, the first step in nerfing Thorgast into the ground because a few people didn’t managed to clear the highest difficulty of it on release day. Pretty sad.

23 Likes

Can you have elites drop anima cells please? I made a post to discuss the idea I think a harder end boss would be a fair exchange. I just want somthing to show for killing 10+ elites on the first floor only to fail at the end floor boss with 1 anima cell. Please, it would be so much more fun.

2 Likes

Nope. It needed to be shorter it was way too long as it was and it was painfully boring.

12 Likes

Go do Layer 7 before commenting.

4 Likes

Layer 8 is more fun.

I didn’t get that far, died 3 times on Layer 7 floor 5 boss & had to quit.

I can only imagine how hard 8 is

1 Like

That’s fair, tbh I still think, and I have said this multiple times now BLIZZARD, elites should drop anima cells.

actually you can’t imagine layer 8. it’s much shorter than the others but harder. which is perfect since in the long run we’ll have powers from the maw rep farm and better gear.
the only problem with torghast were some classes being weak, and that should’ve been fixed by adjusting their anima powers, not nerfing torghast overall

3 Likes

I in some sense agree, I like the challenge. I just really want elites to drop anima cells. I don’t like that risking a life for what you can get from a couple trash mobs is worth fighting for.

1 Like

Torghast was way too long as it was. It was a complete bore.

2 Likes

yeah challenge is fine but on layer 8 if you got the worst animas (0 utility ones for mages for example) you werent able to kite/burn boss and he kills you in 3 auto attacks

1 Like