Dragonflight Preview: An Eye on Professions

Dragonflight Preview: An Eye on Professions

In this preview, the World of Warcraft development team takes you further into the new profession updates and what it means for crafting in Dragonflight.

View Full Article

5 Likes

Wow, did any od the reward designer had read a GDD i made last i year at school by any chance?

The part about upgrading crafted items to mythic raid gear level.

So far it looks alrite, if a bit complicated but I’m not the smartest man around so that might just be on my end.

We also hope this means crafting the very highest quality items turns out to be very lucrative, while also being something that a large guild could coordinate to do on their own.

I really like this aspect of bringing a guild together.

Also:

Please note though that the goal is not to have high-end gear cost anything remotely approaching the costs of top Legendaries in Shadowlands.

Let’s hope this doesn’t change.

1 Like

Actualy look very cool. Orders and the fact that you can craft mythic level gear is fatastic.

My biggest concer with yet another “proffesion revamp” was the fact that it will always end up in same rails - only profitable are gathering proffs and alchemy. Nothing else.
This approachbwith crafting high end gear will kinda sort this out a bit. I hope all other proffesions will see some powerfull lasting recipes, that can be profitable, too.

I would also like to see or read some input on crafting tools or gear as they presented it.
Other than that it looks very promising.

Edit: ye as the gentleman above said. Lets hope these items wont cost in hundred of thousands or even milions. So far it looks more like the value of proffesion is more in the fact that you can make it…those who place orders will have to provide the resources. Idk will see.

1 Like

Being able to p2w these with WoW Token are a concern of mine. It would be nice to attach soulbound materials to everything that can result in a Tier4/5 crafted item (equipment if I understood correctly).

Second thing is, 30 minutes for a flask feels a bit off. If you consider using it for raids then it’s whatever, but for m+ 30min seems just a bit shorter than optimal. Would love to see these to be set to 45 minutes.

Without seeing all this in practice sounds a bit too complicated since it’s reasonably different than what we have now, but I assume the game will introduce you to newer and newer methods over time so it’s pretty self explanatory.

Okay. If I understand this correctly.

It is going to work like this:

1. I get a drop/loot (Optional Reagent) from raid which is BoP.

2. I buy BoE materials including whatever Finishing Reagent from the auction house.

3. A crafter with all the skills presses one button to craft the item

Here are my thoughts: If it is extremely hard/grindy to have the skills the craft the 5star quality, perhaps the 4-7 people who can on the realm can set an exorbitant crafter fee.

Otherwise, the crafter is just pushing one button, why should he get more than a pittance.

Perhaps there is a world where the cast time of crafting all the intermediate finishing reagents is high enough that your time is money. But I doubt it, as you can just set up 100 crafts and let it run while you play another game/sleep.

Not sure why I will have fun pushing the craft button.

I get why getting the option item might be fun. There is gameplay in brining down the harder raid bosses.

But as crafter you just push one button, where is the gameplay?
I could same the same for gatherer, you just fly in circles and right click, it is not diverse or challenging.

1 Like

Provided that I am not expected to raid to get the best recipes, I’m fine with these changes.

I appreciate certain materials will come from raids etc. But the crafter shouldn’t be locked out of their professions because they don’t either Raid/PVP/M+.

3 Likes

If you are a miner, herbalist and/or skinner, you already have a good 3/6 bag slots for each profession occupied, with this change, you will triple the slots because you can gather three qualities of every plant/ore/skin, i hope this will be addressed somehow.

I will reserve judgement until I get to see it in action.

4 Likes

same. im an avid crafter but lazy.
we’ll see while playin if it worth to do that.

So no changes to legacy professions. Would be cool if we could have a crafting order table thing for legacy stuff too, just with the Dragonflight-specific stuff hidden in the interface.

3 Likes

I kind of like and dislike being able to craft mythic gear. I like that idea because it’s a deterministic way of getting gear. However, I fear Blizzard would lower drop rates from actual content since gearing could be made faster by purchasing items.

This will either be SL leggo system again where one good item cost 15000000 golds so you are forced to buy token if you don’t know how to farm or don’t want to :smiley:
Or it’s gonna be system where people that will post order and wants to pay you like 2 g fee xD

2 Likes

It kind of looks ok, although sounds a bit complex but might be easier to understand once you get to use it. The problem I would see is that if only a few crafters are ever going to be able to get skilled enough craft those high end items then the costs will be extreme, meaning mostly only players willing to spend lots of real cash buying gold are going to be purchasing these items.

Also I would like to see more cosmetic and fun items being able to be crafted which will be more in the price range of a normal player but would be sold in more numbers to more people and provide income to crafters and some fun effects or cosmetic items for transmog to players, I would be much more inclined to do crafting if I could work towards making things which give me a new transmog or give me a potion or toy with some fun/quality of life effect.

For example I use reflecting prisms lots in RP events to NPC as creatures for players to battle, being able to craft these at higher quality so the 5mins length could increase to much longer would to be be a huge plus.

I am trying to read all this but being critted with wall of text. Thanks for all the info though, I’ll get there :laughing:

2 Likes

“All (mythic crafted items) are Soulbound, so you’ll either need to craft them yourself or have someone craft them for you through a crafting order.”

“Each piece of crafted equipment will require several types of Soulbound reagents.”

Cool.

1 Like

It’s the one who places the order that offers a commission for the job not the crafter setting a fee (see first image).

Yes, but they can ignore anyone who isn’t putting down 10000 gold as tip. In reality I predict that crafting order tips will quickly end up as near nothing. Maybe in the US they are so used to tipping…

Then that’s the market for crafting services.
If there is a demand for getting the crafting service for free and there is a supply (as in there is a crafter that is willing to craft for free) then that is the price for the service I’m afraid.

Imo there should be some soulbound stuff that only the crafter can supply in the recipies.

By that you make the crafting-service itself a somehow limited resource and the customer putting up the tip has to account for it. Tip too low, then the crafter puts his resources to the higher bidder.

Isn’t this just like in Legion? Find recipes around the place by playing the game, obtain rare materials from raids and dungeons to craft the best items, and unlock a higher rank on the item youre crafting (except now it’s on the item itself and not the recipe unless I’m mistaken).

What this does it turn crafting into a secondary activity for high-end raiders and M+ players. They’ll use it to fill gaps in their own gear.

I’d prefer if crafting was something you excelled at by being a crafter. Being out in the world to look for materials on your own, in deep caves, atop mountains, and at the bottom of the sea. Then you bring it back to your workstation you’ve customised and perform some type of interactive task (not just click a button).

Let Mythic raiders be dependant on you, not the other way around.