PvP Warfronts - Alterac Valley?

Why is this not a thing? Is this a thing? Did I miss something? Is this already in the works?

Seriously though, Warfronts are an AFK PvE-fest between 2 player-filled opposing factions. Why is there no PvP Warfront?

We have PvP Island Expeditions. We have battlegrounds with basic objective co-ordination (get the thing, bring the thing here. Stop them taking the thing. Sit and defend the thing) and then we have epic battlegrounds like Alterac Valley.

Many EBs haven’t been properly done in years. Most, if not all of them, are just bumrush fiestas with tactics skimmed over just as just a speed bump in charging down the enemy boss.

Why not actually make the main “feature” of this Faction War (totally not Old God II) expansion actually a Faction vs Faction War? Let the players decide who wins each battle.

Alterac Valley could look epic with updated story, sites and objectives. Allow players to queue and fight in a PvP scenario with PvE in the background. Setting up their bases, taking resource sites. Attacking or defending the enemy players/sites to gain more resources. In the background, have the PvE NPCs being built up.

Winners are not just who zerg rushes the boss the quickest, nor who sits and AFK PvEs until the NPCs zerg rush instead.

Enough with this “everyone wins” conflict. There is no point in a Faction War when both sides constantly match victories. Warfronts are flip-flop affairs. Assaults are pyrrhic stalemates. Any perceived defeat of the enemy is faced with a surprise hand and actually the enemy wasn’t set back that far. :roll_eyes:

Make this war an active thing for the playerbase. War Mode is a bit of a shambles with in Blizzard’s lack of interest in both initial implementation and shoddy “fix” application. There are no open-world active dynamic player-led activities like capture points. Not yet anyway. There are open-world CPs in the works, right? Fingers crossed a global network!

But seriously, there is no “war” in the current Warfronts.

1 Like

I did a 40v40 Wargame recently. I’m was so badly surprised that the servers can not support 80 people pvp. It has been 14 years. I feel that this is the main reason why Warfronts are not PvPed.

3 Likes

Lore wise, I don’t think Alterac Mountains (i’m guessing you mean the original vanilla zone and not the BG) makes a lot of sense currently. But it could get an update for the BG, like with AB and WSG

1 Like

Warfronts are mostly a 20-man scenario. The way you claim and set your base in Darkshore, defeat the NPCs defending, and push toward the final boss, it’s mostly a scripted and planned-ahead course of events. It has nothing to do with PvP. It’s just a story event that you play with others. Not sure why people tend to think of Warfronts as everything else than what it is.

Because they were shown how they were supposed to work - with a bird view camera to set up your troops and the engage with your own character in the battlefield. Players rightfully so felt cheated with the end product that is nothing more than prolong world quest.

3 Likes

Now I just had to go look at the Blizzcon 2017 panels, and I did not see that.
It’s arguable that the way they presented the idea was more grand than the way the feature was realized. But the PvP take on it is definitely not one Blizzard has ever hinted at. That’s entirely spun within the PvP community.

No, people just want Warfronts to be more than a 30 minutes WQ.

You didn’t look hard enough, unfortunately the “trust level” doesn’t allow me to post links, because I’m a bad bad boy and I like to use the attack command, nowdays less, because last time I got baned for calling someone a “white knight” as a form of harrasment. Go figure, the Tought Police is everywhere and if I want to continue to undermine the corporate garbage, I have to watch my tongue.

1 Like

Sadly, this happens often, Just look at your Wotlk disk box, if you have it. It says there would be dog fighting with flying machines. Still waiting for that to happen.

1 Like

Sure. And there will be a Heroic mode in patch 8.2 I believe, so that should make them more interesting to those who feel they are a pushover in their current state.
But the way they’re designed and built is just as an instanced PvE scenario. You can’t really make that into a PvP thing like it was possible to do with Island Expeditions.

Hey look, I can post youtube atleast. But yeah, this is what we were supposed to get, instead of the bare skaleton, the shadow of the promise, the literal garbage that is BFA retail Warfronts.
I think Activision should do the Bathesda thing and let the game get moded, so that the community can fix their poor excuse for content :smiley: .

2 Likes

And what’s a video by Bellular got to do with anything?

There’s a legitimate discussion to be had about whether Warfronts are well-designed or not. But the PvP take on it is not something Blizzard have presented players with, that’s something players have wished for on their own accord. But Warfronts are just not designed with PvP in mind.

1 Like

I agree, I told you, Blizzard can not support 40 v 40 PvP. I’m just saying, people want Warfronts to be more than what they are. Heroic Warfronts would not change things, I guarantee it. Warfronts need a whole makeover, well, just as much as 90% of the expansion, but that is offtopic. Warfronts need to be what is in the video I posted.

1 Like

It would be actually 20 v 20

1 Like

I don’t know…
I think it is possible to have large-scale PvP modes with 40v40. It just doesn’t work when everyone gets clustered together like Southshore vs. Tarren Mill. But Alterac Valley works fine because it has a way of spreading players out across various objectives. So that’s a way to have 40v40 without running into all the lag and engine limitations.

In regards to Warfronts, then some people definitely seem to feel that the idea sounded cooler than the way the final product turned out. But that’s how it goes. Sometimes Blizzard makes something that exceeds expectations, sometimes they don’t, and other times it’s exactly what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

Ideally they’d constantly tweak and re-design everything to be of the highest possible standard imaginable. But development resources are never infinite, so the discussion is probably more about whether it’s desirable to pour a lot of effort into re-making Warfronts or whether those efforts are better spent on upcoming content?

I still want to see what a PvP warfront could possibly look like.
In the current version, the assaulting faction takes one base after the other all the way towards bringing down the last boss. In a PvP scenario, how would that even be reproduced ? I get it each faction can have their own boss, but how would the battle around bases be managed anyways ? It takes to hold sway over the entire warfront in order to win it, so unless we put teams of Russians vs Europeans, I can hardly concieve how a PvP warfront would possibly reach an end.

1 Like

They haven’t exceeded expectations in 10 years.

Warfronts were set to have the RTS elements into the game - you build your base, your economy, your army and fight the enemy. Mate, there is no economy building and you can train 2 units to follow you :smiley: . And the base building is a copy paste from WoD’s Garrison system. I have no clue if the whole concept fell apart, or we were just lied to from the begining, but the current Warfront is a waste of bloody time, effort and recousres.
And to top it all off. They are doubling up and making more useless Warfronts :smiley: .

2 Likes

Hence my point: Is it then worth pouring more resources into them, trying to make them appealing to people like you, or is it better to just leave them be and focus on new things instead?

They are? As far as I’m aware then there’s no new Warfronts planned in the near future. Heroic Warfronts is on the table for patch 8.2, so if any new Warfronts are to come out, then it won’t be before patch 8.2.5 or 8.3 – both which would be on the other side of summer.

I don’t know, if this is your selling point of the expansion and the majority of players don’t play it, except once every 2 weeks for the quest, well Darkshore atleast, I don’t even bother with Stormgarde anymore, you either make it worth playing, or you throw the whole concept away.
And to answer your 2nd question - Darkshore was made long after the huge backlash towards the Warfront content.
In my humble opinion, Warfronts can be made worth the while for all players if there was some kind of creativity given to the player, while also making the opponent a lot harder to beat. Conventional wisdom says: Deffending Faction should have a huge advantage over the attackers, yet 20 people just run towards it and beat it in 30 minutes, 15 of which have no clue what they are doing and randomly killing stuff. Give me a break!
Warfronts were the perfect opportunity to bring back social interactions between players, voice comunication, strategy. Every player could have build their own troops, but you have to play with the others to beat the defenders. Trust me there would be Discord Servers and even guilds created ONLY for Warfronts.
But hey, who cares about fun in a video game, when “Cut costs” and no more “trial and error” is bound to bring a lot more “muh money” to the share holders, than actually trying to make a good game!

1 Like

You apply this point way too often (pretty much in regards to everything), and then you also wonder why there is an uproar against the design of the game. /shrug

1 Like