Question about expansions

Can someone tell me what the name is of the content I am playing. I started my druid on the normal wow launcher playing classic content on the island kalimdor but what is this content called. To me it is really confusing cuz it is not classic because I can get to lvl 110 instead of lvl 60 so it is not the actual renewed classic expansion but what is it then?

It’s Battle for Azeroth, the current latest expansion. With BfA, you can get to 120 even. (110 was the max level in Legion, the expansion prior to BfA).

You play part of the “classic” content that was revamped in cataclysm. This content scales up level 60 when you go above level 60 you will receive less experience from doing it. The game will suggest you to go to either Outland(The Burning Crusade) or Northrend(Wrath of the Lich King) to level up further

Hey Depid, welcome to WoW! :slight_smile:

This can absolutely be a little confusing even with the changes we’ve implemented to help with that. The best way to explain this is that there’s a game content part, and an expansion level part and they can be different from each other depending on what you bought to start playing the game.

There’s basically 3 game content levels here:

• Starter or Free to Play level, with the max level at 20
  • Base game, with the max level at 110
  • Complete Collection/BFA/Shadowlands, with the max level at 120. This is any variation of the base game + Battle for Azeroth and these days, a prepurchase of Shadowlands, the upcoming expansion.

Expansion level in this context simply means the one we’re currently on gameplay- and storywise. Class changes and patch content would reflect that, even for game content you may not yet have access to.

There is a 4th game content level, which is WoW Classic and gameplay-wise it’s completely separate from the above 3. You automatically have access to WoW Classic if you have active game time or a subscription on your WoW account, but it is a completely different version of the game that recalls the original, Classic experience of WoW from how it was in 2004/2005, which has a max level of 60. You would need to specifically log into the Classic version of WoW by changing your “Version” on the Battle.net Desktop App and switching that to World of Warcraft Classic instead of World of Warcraft.

At your level (currently showing as level 39) and with the realm you’re currently playing on, you’re on either the base game or Complete Collection content level. That means you have a ton of potential adventures ahead of you that will get you all the way up to level 110 at the very least. All you have to do is follow the in-game directions for what zones to visit next via the Hero’s Call (Alliance faction) or Warchief’s Command (Horde faction) boards in the main capitals of Stormwind or Orgrimmar respectively. They will always give you a level-appropriate quest to head to 1 of 3 zones of your choice to begin questing - just pick which story or zone sounds most exciting to you :slight_smile:. If you don’t like it, or have finished there and want to continue somewhere else, simply head back and grab another one.

If you do come across anything confusing, don’t hesitate to ask your friends or guildies in-game, or come back here so we can help you out!

Those boards are also in almost every zone in the main town near the inn. You can enable track Warboards to see them on minimap.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.