Question about naming policy and reporting players

So i got a response from a GM i belive, refered to as Janny in the following, that my name indeed violates naming policy and appeal has been denied. I still got one question about the answer the Janny gave me. He said that:

Keep in mind, that ultimately it’s up to the World of Warcraft community to what they find offensive or not (along w/ the guidelines we already have in place) and this one sadly crosses the line a little too much to be able to keep. :frowning:

Essentially my question comes down to the following: Can bunch of players find certain player’s name “offensive” and spam report him so hes forced to name change? After all it says its “up to the community”. For example can 10 players report single person in RBG so he is unable to play the game for certain amount of time or can players from guild X report main tank from guild Y racing for world #1 to get him screwed?

2 Likes

Please remove the GM’s name - it’s against the rules.
I think what s/he is saying that GMs can’t actively police every character on every realm as it would be impossible, so they rely on players reporting characters’ names and, if they agree that the name breaks the rules, they’ll tell you to change it. If they don’t think it breaks the rules they’ll close the reports and you’ll never know it’s been reported.

Janny is not his real name, it’s jsut a nickname i gave him so the newcomers don’t have to worry about abbreviations. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just got a ticket reply saying they don’t take name reports via tickets and you can only do it ingame.

Looks like being sacked has affected their motivation.

My old thread was locked so I’d thought I’d post here.

I had a character I was forced to rename now another player is using the same name on the same realm, no accents, it’s exactly the same. That’s how far they care now.

2 Likes

Being sacked does have a huge negative impact on a persons ability to care about the job, yes.

Been there myself when I was younger.

I can concur with that.

where i work, being sacked means you longer work there. so i doubt thats the problem. the problem is that many GMs simply dont care. their job is to be a ‘judge’ in those cases, not to see “10 reports = change name”. the WHY matters.
if the person doesnt do their job, its on him and not the company.

Dottie is not only one who has encountered the “name stealing”.
I have had people who have same happened to them. On a RP server mind you. :roll_eyes:

You would think that, wouldn’t you, since the 10 reports now automatically changes your name for you and it takes weeks to appeal, even then you get someone who is about to be sacked and isn’t a native speaker of the language the word is in, so upholds the report.

Then someone else uses the name and you are told they only take ingame reports on the automatic system, no manual reporting for names anymore.

So after some research I’ve found cases when bunch of people report a certain player for no real reason and the innocent guy is forced to name change / receives a chat silence for x days. This is pretty pathethic handling of naming policy and reports overall. I guess in case of names its basically pick a name and hope people wont report it x times for whatever reason they feel like

That’s what happened to me btw, I think that person did it to take my name. But I like the name I have now almost as much.

In a recent ticket about my problem another GM saw that it isn’t a bannable name but for some reason the original GM didn’t add it to the banned named list when the first GMs looked at it so someone else could use it.

They talked to their management and they also saw that it wasn’t a bannable name. However, in their opinion they could not take it from that person and give it back to me, but in way of compensation they gave me a store pet.

ahh ‘compensation’, or in other words, “we made a mistake but we wont fix it, instead we will give you something to make you happy for now and leave us alone”.
probably learnt it from cable companies. “we screwed with the payments, well get a free movie”

A pet? Not even a mount? Bah…

I find it funny that some people have a name I would like to use but it is against naming policy so I can’t use it. But still there are lots of people using the exact same name. What gives? How I love Blizzard inconsistancies.

Hey everyone,

When a name is reported, it generally is always reviewed by a Game Master, if it’s deemed inappropriate it will be changed. Otherwise, no action is taken on the name or account. Game Masters will check for player collusion in these reports to ensure that there has been no abuse of the report system.

If a name is inappropriate and changed, this does not retroactively change any other existing characters who may have the same name. These still need to be reported.

Thanks!