Question about the mantid

So…Why did the mantid join N’zoth when they were followers of Y’shaarj who was an enemy of N’zoth? And why did the mantid willingly let N’zoth corrupt their sacred kypari trees and yet had worked against them being corrupted by the sha which are remnants of Y’shaarj?

Because the idea of the Old Gods having any character at all, and thus be different in any way was essentially scrapped somwhere along the way. N’zoth, Y’shaarj …both are just some expression of the hungering void.

Or that’s how I see it. And we all know “continuity” is not something they care about, if it conflicts with their ideas of the moment.

4 Likes

Just ignore BFA lore, it’s full of convenience and “Because plot” logic.

2 Likes

Everything Winbert said. Killing an Old God was, once very long ago, a big deal. Now it’s like just cutting a toenail off the Void or something.

Upon reaching exalted with the Klaxxi, a faction of mantid that have turned against their queen, Kil’ruk the Wind-Reaver will tell the player the story of the mantid’s origins and Y’Shaarj.

Wakener, your deeds have earned you the trust of the Klaxxi.
You are to be rewarded. Walk with me.
We mantid are an elder race. The pandaren you associate with - they are but children. They have their role to play.
Each cycle, our young swarm their walls. The pandaren slay the weak. The strong return.
With each generation, we grow ever stronger.
Before your history began, our empire was vast. We shared this world with our sister kingdoms, Ahn’Qiraj and Azjol-Nerub.
Our Gods were many, and powerful. We mantid worshipped the seven heads of Y’shaarj.
Great was the Old One, and terrible was His wrath. He consumed hope and begat despair; He inhaled courage and breathed fear.
When the usurpers came - the ones you call “Titans” - Y’shaarj was destroyed.
His last terrible breath has haunted this land ever since, but the shadows he left behind are mere whispers of his former glory.
I tell you now, because you have earned this warning.
Your gods are not our gods, outsider.
If the Old Ones ever return, we mantid will once again stand by their side.
The wisest among you will do the same.

They told you what they will do…
Blizzard actually stayed true to their “lore” this time

4 Likes

Alright, but that still does not explain why they tried to prevent the Sha from corrupting their home while freely letting N’zoth do just that.

The Sha did not serve the Old Gods. They were mindless monsters who threatened the Mantid’s way of life that were spawned from a dead Old God. N’Zoth, however, rallied and empowered the Mantid.

I see. Makes sense I guess.

Here’s the confirmation:

https://twitter.com/DaveKosak/status/368091834444029952

A bit odd he said that the Mogu killed Y’Shaarj, but I assume that just means that the Mogu helped fight Y’Shaarj’s forces until Aman’Thul ripped the Old God off the planet.

Let’s hope that the mantid don’t fall into depression if they find out that an other Old One screwed up again.

Maybe the next Empress will choose a new path for her race and sever their ties with the Old Gods, like the Nerubians did…

As the murder hobo responsible for both killing their queen and their new god, I’m accepting applications for worship. Weekly cache offerings will do.

Just don’t expect me to leave limbs and fluids everywhere.

1 Like

Now now, don’t be hasty!
I’m sure you could do something about it…

I guess your tentacles would make the transition easier for them…

1 Like

Well they worshiped the goat with seven heads… so… :octopus: :goat:

1 Like

You know that meme from the incredibles 2
Math IS math!

yeah, just put a mantid there…
Old god is OLD GOD!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.