Ramblings and questions in Argent Dawn - Part deux

Howdy folks,

I hope y’all been coping during this crisis and haven’t had to resort too much on the spiral of negative thinking. I know some folks are just fine with the situation, but not everyone can handle it as well. Lots of different people out there.

Anyways, before I get too pulled into that thought, I just wanted to check with you folks about roleplay and few ideas I’ve been having around it. I haven’t had active account status in WoW for a good while now, I’ve had some time to think about these things as well.

How do people fare outside the standard roleplay definitions, and does the region define your intended roleplay?

In the paste I’ve seen the roleplay turn into what roleplay should be in per region/bubble and how people behave around the scenarios. I’ve just noted that it profoundly impacts folks’ way of character creation depending on which zone i.e., in Stormwind, Duskwood, Ironforge, or elven lands they choose. Almost like peer pressure to create something that you fit the surrounding people and no, I am not talking about it from an in-character perspective. You’d think this would be obvious, but why people do it? Or if they do it at all? I could be wrong.

Do you find it challenging to find roleplay outside the designated areas in Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor?

Now, I know well that there are people that can arrange these occasions pretty well with the help of guilds and communities, but how about your ad hoc approaches? Something that does not tie you into a community or active guild that continuously defines your actions of definitions of character in-directly or directly?

What is your view on character creation, and what drives you when it comes to characters in World of Warcraft?

I personally try to create characters that fit in the lore and do not adhere to pop culture rules or any other strange remarks outside Warcraft’s boundaries. Though I am aware of questlines, stories and easter eggs in the game itself that could be pointed out as pop culture reference, in-directly. But I never really given that to be a good enough reason to have characters background story that externally reminds me of pop culture stars or something similar to that range. Still, I won’t deny that from anyone, people can do what they want with their characters. Still, it doesn’t change my character’s puzzling behavior around them. Either how I am curious to hear what you folks have to say about this.

Is there a mental force driven to achieve “serious” roleplay and less force towards light-weight and comical roleplay?

The wording of the above question isn’t perhaps the best to form the scenario. Still, I’ve taken notice that on some occasions, people seek a more dramatic, serious, and rigid approach to the roleplay at times. Perhaps even more nowadays. Do we aim to it due to the current atmosphere or because it is the trend? I’m not sure.

I used to create characters that weren’t exactly in the serious spectrum, but they were things, i.e. aloof druid that sat in the gardens, eating bowls of fruit salads in a bear form, frustrated janitor cleaning stairs after messy visitors, deranged dwarf selling door hinges as a solution to everything or alcoholic brewery owner from Ironforge with bad jokes. I could add a few more examples, but I can’t recall the older ones.

Bonus question: do you have any ideas for goofy characters?

I’d thought this would lighten up the day for everyone. :slight_smile:

Take care and stay safe!

I used to RP Duncan the Dung Shoveler, he was from a long family line of dung shovelers and would wander around and talk to random people about the ancient art and see how long he could keep the conversation going.

I personally enjoy encountering some comic/goofy type characters which can often be quite fun to RP along with.

RP is for fun, so I don’t like it to be deadly serious all the time.

2 Likes

I use to roleplay a courier now and again that handed out junkmail to people just for a bit of fun. It was pretty fun having the interactions with people reading through it and their reaction of it.

“I just deliever the mail.”

1 Like

This, but ultimately this:

It is a strange thing when the players care more about consistency and are passionate about the in-universe rules moreso than the creators.

It’s a bit of a tough one but I do not begrudge anyone who let’s say purposefully (out of spite or what not) will ‘colour outside the marigns’ to the point that they might just draw a completely new image outside the margins, if it complements the existing setting well or if it brings something useful.

I am thinking in particular about the old organizations that haven’t seen any recent developments or whose new developments will be througholy disappointing (such as the Argent Crusade or Scarlet Crusade) but this is a matter of opinion ofc.

But the latter had suffered numerous retcons throughout the years, then been left to wither, then propped up, only to be left to wither again and player speculation abounds.

I also don’t appreciate the simplicity of Blizzard’s setting in current time, as it truly does feel that something was lost from the old days, something that was sacrificed for accessibility let’s side, as even the quest-text isn’t what it used to be.

Challenging to find, but a joy to create.

2 Likes

I don’t get the wording on “designated areas” when all the world is there for us to RP in. (Or should be anyway, were it not for certain blots of OOCers and ERPers.)

7 Likes

Not really, not that long ago, I been rping in Pandaria, so it’s up to indivuduals to try and make rp elsewhere. (and make that enjoyable ofc.)

I based my characters on Npcs and build up from that along with the story.

Often tend to make characters with serious (and sometimes even dark) backstories, but I also like to add a bit of goofiness to them, even if it’s the character himself being goofy or just having a comical fall.

I have but one, and it’s Zag’kush. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

this really struck me, I’ve had so many heated lore discussions and debates that we’ve had to cool down from by admitting that no one, not even blizzard, care as much about this weird niche lore fact we’re debating, as we do xD

2 Likes

Closest I came to a comical character was my throw-away dwarf during the last riot in Stormwind. His name was Drungan Bassi, heavily based on Casimir Bassi from the Witcher 3 and Redania’s top cuckold, who was angry about his wife running off with a blood elf and proceeded to call the Horde wifestealers and pelting the guards with rotten tomatoes. Eventually like Casimir he threatened to blow himself up, but a brave Stormwind citizen was faster and kicked him into the moat. Mister Bassi’s fate is thus currently unknown.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I don’t adjust my roleplay based on anything but logical character progression.

Not really. Also, there is no such thing as designated areas. The whole world is there to be RPed in. Not sure what you’re on about.

The PC already serves as a very bad example of wish fulfilment nonsense. The main focus I have when making a new RP character is to stay as far as possible from that. As for tropes, I sometimes like looking at what is usually RPed very poorly and then try making a character that is a more faithful representation of what that trope actually means.

There is a time and a place for both. The big difference is that usually when you are used to “serious” RP (I kinda hate the way you’ve worded it tbh) you can easily have a few light-weight and comical characters and moments whenever they fit. But if all you do is funny, lighthearted, happy go lucky roleplay then I must question why did you choose to do it in an universe plagued by war, social issues and conflict.

Ogres.

1 Like

For a long time, I was of the opinion the only way to RP was to be serious about it. Not necessarily in the ”grounded/no magic” way, but I couldn’t bring myself to insert humour or interact with primarily goofy characters. I’ve mellowed out a lot in that regard over the years, and now honestly prefer it. What the RP is about is still usually serious, but I like presenting it in a comical way.

I think, ultimately, I’m more interested in having fun when I’m online than I am in doing things the ”right” way (excluding ERP, that is still objectively wrong).

5 Likes

When Game of Thrones was the Big Thing there were plenty of RPers who despised any sort of humour (or RPing with anyone who wasn’t a human).

People are less afraid to be a bit more silly nowadays - which is good, in my opinion, one of the most defining things of Warcraft’s setting is the spectrum of outright goofy to serious moral matters that exists within it.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone for their answers so far. Appreciate your time bringing up your perspectives regarding these.

There were some questions that required some clarification from my way of thinking. For example, the question where I brought up the designated areas. Now, there has been for a long time specific hubs created over time, recognized or not, in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor where people can safely gather and find roleplay in such a manner that does not require community arrangements. Like Stormwind, Ironforge, Orgrimmar, Crossroads, Ashenvale forest, Duskwood, Booty Bay, and such. Most of the time, you’ll always end up finding a bundle of folks there.

Regarding the region defining your roleplay, my thinking was that people create their characters to fit the area, perhaps not always knowingly, but enough to meet the template to specific zones or activity that happens there currently, like following a trend.

Thanks once again and have a great weekend. :slight_smile:

Talking about hard decision based on roleplay…
Anyone mind to visit me?
I feel lonely.

Leave the island then, and go where the people are, not making them go to a deserted place.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.