Random Battlegrounds

Hey I left right at start of Shadowlands as was overloaded with work, but returning now. I used to main mage and my favourite end game pursuit was just chilling in random bgs, but I’ve heard some negative remarks about mage lately and just wondering whether I’d have much fun as I used to on mage or whether it would be better to level something else for this.

Frost Mage is the best (at least mosy productive) spec for BGs

The other specs lack the constant stream of sustain damage, not to mention how powerful Ice Wall can be!

Ok thanks. Is the consistent damage of a frost mage more valuable than the burst of a fire mage in bgs tho? I mean if frost is better this is fine as the answer would still be that levelling mage is ok which is my main question here, although I am also interested to hear about specs.

I do that exact activity so here’s my ten cents for what its worth. I play frost. Typically 1 in 3 bg’s I’d say i “enjoy”, 1 will be meh and other frustrating. You can’t get the best pvp gear anymore from bg’s alone, even at a slower pace. This stage in the season most pvpers have the fully upgraded (9/9) conquest pieces of gear that requires rating to get giving them over 100k hp. Im full conquest available from non-rated (so 1/9 in terms of upgrades). Im at 88k hp and its a massive difference in terms of dps against many classes. Read into that what you will. Fire mage is more proccy, insta cast as you probably know and not a style I personally enjoy (and seems to be chosen more frequently as the arena spec). Frost requires you to get many casts off still but effectively has only one 1 school of magic) hence why it can be so frustrating to play (interrupts/silences). That said it does feel rewarding to get kills and when able to cast during icy veins, with legendaries up etc it is fun and can do some good dps. Forget it against any warrior who knows their class or MM hunter…but others you’ll be able to get some decent uptime.

In most cases it’s about how geared your enemy is, rather than coming across a specific class (with a few exceptions) in random BGs.

The main issue with random BGs is that the upgrade currency for conquest gear is honor (for some inane reason), so you’ll often come across Gladiators, Duelists and Rivals who vastly out-gear you (and pretty much everyone else) farming random BGs to upgrade their gear (or just because they like stomping lowbies).

Fresh honor gear being 255 in PvP while maxed conquest gear is 311 in PvP, an absurd gap in power between players who are both after the same currency to upgrade their gear.

@Sirtraksalot
Ok thanks. Makes sense it is more the arena spec as with Combustion they can burst an opponent down which is what tends to be the strat in arenas and also useful in bgs i.e. for killing healers and fcs.

@Icefall
Ok thanks. I mean I used to grind arena for conquest so may not mind doing that again but maybe honour for upgrades is objectionable as you say: not sure yet, but being farmed by top PvPers in bgs doesn’t sound fun for sure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.