Random dungeon finder and Looking for dungeon tool

Are you mentally challenged? Is it not clear from that post that I was responding to the part about us “And you guys will quit the game after a month or two anyway because you want instant gratification and dont have the social skills to get anywhere.”
Seriously, your takeaway from my post is “he’s a spoiled brat claiming RDF was in original wrath from the start”???
I don’t think I’ll ever take anything you post seriously anymore after this. That’s like 3rd grade text comprehension level. I can’t believe I ever took any of your ramblings about solo play no changes at a face value. You dummy.

Yes I WANT RDF in Classic from the start. I think that would be the single best “change” they could make to it. It would be a very minor change, since we are going to be playing on 3.3.5 anyway, but I acknowledge it wasn’t in the game from the start. Seriously, sod off with that strawman. Nobody on this forum ever claimed that it was. If they said they are adding it in ICC phase, I would be here arguing it’s a stupid decision and it should be in way earlier. Not adding it at all is just even stupider, imo bordering on malicios.

Actually I reacted on this:

If that is not wanting LFD from get go and patently not as it was … ?
And your whole post just cscreams “I want!”!" to me.

No, this was not clear. I saw it as responding to

as that is what you protest in most of your post.

You do not want is at it was … OK!

But Blizz is a bunch of :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: all set to prove that we really don’t so save your insults for them.

Just to add to it, OF COURSE I don’t want it released “as it was”. Just like Classic and BC it should be released with all the features and balancing of the last patch with only time-gated raids and their corresponding vendor rewards. I don’t want utterly broken DK’s, I don’t want no dual spec until Ulduar and I don’t want no RDF until ICC. I never claimed otherwise.
Imagine if we got classic with utterly unplayable specs like Ret pala, disc priest or survival hunter. Like alpha test level broken. With barely any quests for levels 35-50. It would be an unmitigated disaster. How about TBC with all old world world buffs working until BT release? Wouldn’t that be fun? Releasing it as it was is a stupid, stubbornly blind position to take.
Even 4 years ago, when designing Classic vanilla, Blizzard somehow understood this. But even those people are now gone, replaced by bumbling idiots like Birmingham and Longdale (lol why would I think her name is Freeland? Whatever)

There’s been quantitative research made on the topic over the years since the Dungeon Finder was introduced and it shows that it’s not just a “loud minority” that’s opposed to the Dungeon Finder. It didn’t even take a year before people were discussing the social ramifications the Dungeon Finder caused. This has been an on-going debate for years.

Like I’ve repeated many times in various threads on the matter, what I deem most destructive is the cross-server aspect of the Dungeon Finder. And I base this perhaps primarily on my own experience with MMORPG games, but also on essays I’ve read and watched. Let me just share one experience I’ve had:

In World of Warcraft I’ve not befriended a single person through the game’s random (cross-server) Battlegrounds. The closest I’ve gotten was when I was doing the grind for the Isle of Conquest meta-achievement (which requires 100 victories). I had a strategy of just going to and holding the oil field. There I somewhat frequently ran into an enemy player. For full transparency, I never spoke to him – but my friend who was on the grind with me did. He logged over to his server and wrote to him and learned that this player was doing the exact same thing as us. That is the closest I’ve gotten to creating a meaningful relationship through WoW’s random Battlegrounds.

Contrast this to Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR), a largely failed MMORPG. Before the game was launched the developers were asked whether the game would have cross-server queues for PvP, and the developers responded by saying this:

No. We believe that fostering rivalries and memorable encounters with recognizable players are important in building a good PvP community on a server. We suspect cross-server queuing compromises these key tenets.

And this, in my experience, was absolutely true. I made many meaningful relationships through PvP in SWTOR. I befriended many and butted heads with others. The server I was on had its own online forum curated by one person from each faction where players organized events. Dueling events were somewhat common and the rewards for these events were created by the players.

The closest thing I came to this in World of Warcraft was through World PVP – another aspect that was killed by yet another cross-server functionality. The forum servers were quite active back in the day, and look at them now. My old server’s forum is this one: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/defias-brotherhood-ravenholdt-et-al/181 … and there’s barely any activity there.

We live in 2022 and servers can seem like an outdated concept. Yet servers were seemingly responsible for the “Classic feel” that so many of us remember. And is it such a hard idea to grasp? Having a large player pool to draw from has its obvious benefits, but as far as the social aspect is concerned servers are necessary – until someone can come up with a design that sparks the same or similar social atmosphere even in an environment that is supposed to host all players playing on a continent.

1 Like

In that case they can just remove cross realm and keep rdf in ?

Also its entirely on personal experience … I made tons of friends in pvp, I even recently befriended a dude on gehenas with my firemaw alliance character and we are chatting now when I play my gehenas horde chars …

Sure. I think there are still some negative aspects to the automated grouping process, but I believe the cross-server aspect to be the most damning. I’d rather see how their new LFG-tool is going to work. I think it has potential.

Yes, and so was Nicolay’s long post. Most stories that are being shared on these forums are of personal experiences. If you want facts they exist and I’ve linked to them in other posts (example). But when you link research you get arguments such as “professors pay to get their research published” which, while actually likely true in most cases, is not an indication of a poor article. Point is: people will use any argument to shoot down things they don’t want to hear.

Make the world and the community the core of the game, nothing else.

What community, is there any community?

Yup, on some servers there are indeed communities. And it’s a lot of fun.

1 Like

The server he plays on have a community, actually so im just guessing he isnt taking part of it, we have at least 2 different server discords (one of them is a lot more active after some things went down in the other one of them).

RDF wouldnt change taht, becase its the community decision to decompose, not some artificial system. Its Your choice

Discord? So its not a ingame server community :)))

RDF was one of the first systems that started taking away from the world.

I’m not saying it’s not fun or useful, I’m saying that in an MMORPG it does not make sense to have such a system.

I’d much rather blizzard focus on issues plaguing the game right now, instead of slapping a bandaid on it.

Its also your decision to take part of it, can only see a few people from your guild on the less active server Discord non of you on the more active one, if you took a part of the serve community then maybe you wouldn’t feel like the community is dead. Ofc server Discords are where most communications happen now, back in the day people used forums for server community now people use discords, we play on the same server and I can tell you for a fact that it have a really active community if you actually go and engage with it.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by this or the whole discord stuff.

You use 3rd party tool man. Consider RDF 3rd party tool then for community that wants to get in, do dung and in the meantime not wasting time on Discrod / LFG channel, but do something else instead.

It was players that made the choice to use it, it was not forced on anyone.

1 Like

In that case instead of using the forums (we can call that a tool as well) you should be shouting about RDF in game instead, Im just saying if you wanted to actually see the community on the server we both play on you could easily find it and realize that the community is not dead like you claim it to be. Server communitys have never been only in game back in the day people used ether the official forums or set up their own for their servers, now people use Discords, thats how you engage with the community without everyone having to be online at all times in game, lets say a community event happens in the arena in STV (there was one that was planed actually a while ago) how would you ever find out about it if you werent online when someone announced it if it was just in game chat? You woldnt unless one of your friends happened to see it and informed you.

If Blizzard employees were present in the ingame chat, id gladly do.

1 Like

This is the biggest issue I have … are people seriously missing this so hard ?

Do you actually believe that millions maybe billions of people changed over night just because blizz added RDF into their game ?

Not even the slightest chance it was the other way around ? Not even a single thought that maybe changing single thing in game, wont magically shift whole humanity back in time ?

We literally have classic wow without RDF and its absolute clown fiesta, do people think that when they remove rdf from wotlk, all casuals, bots, afkers, solo players, retail baboons will just leave the game overnight ?

If you are social or in a community, then you will be social and in a community even when RDF is around … rest of the people dont care and dont matter …

4 Likes