Random PC freezes and gamecrash when running the game in Direct X 12 mode (Only in WoW)

Hey, after many days of trouble shooting and trying all different kinds of solutions I could figure out myself, I have finally come to the conclusion that this is an issue I am unable to troubleshoot and solve myself.

When I run the game in directx 12 mode I will get random crashes where my entire PC freezes. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes and sometimes I can go on for 1 - 2 hours without any crashes, i will however always crash sooner or later. When I get a crash its not just a gamecrash, my entire pc freezes and I am forced to use the restart button. When I get back into Windows I am then met with the “radeon wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure” inside my AMD Radeon software.

Running the game in Directx 11 mode works fine and I can play for hours without any crashes.

I would continue to run the game in DirectX 11 mode if it wasn’t for the fact the game runs far from smooth in Direct X 11, Performance overall is MUCH better in Direct x 12, apart from the random crashes.

Worth noting is that this happens ONLY in WoW. I can run other far more taxing games perfectly fine, CoD MW2, overwatch, halo infinite to name a few.

Okay so that’s my issue. Any help or tips on the matter?
Below is what I’ve tried so far and my Pc specs.

*Crashes happens on all combinations (that I could think of) of graphics options whenever Dx 12 is turned on.
*Temperatures are perfectly fine, no overheating
*Updated drivers + bios
*Clean + Fresh install of drivers
*No overclocking

PC SPECS
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
gpu: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
ram: 16gb of 3200 mhz ram
Running a dual monitor setup. WoW on my 170hz gaming monitor + one side monitor.

1 Like

Hi,
postet the same issue a few days ago in the german technical support… after searching the us forum i found this thread.
just downgrade to Adrenalin 22.3.1 or 22.5.1
22.5.1 is the latest recommendation on the amd page for win 11 64 bit users but you can google easyly for the 22.3.1 version just give it a try

WoW Freezing up PC - Support / Technical Support - World of Warcraft Forums
(blizzard.com)

I purchased a brand new AMD Radeon 6900XT and after a couple of hours playing WoW I started getting PC crashes, drivers crashes, hangs, freezes - only while WoW was running and I didn’t ever have any of these issues running my 3070. I’ve sent the AMD card back thinking it was faulty.

After reading this though (and a ton of the other reports from AMD users) I’m starting to think it wasn’t the card and instead the problem lies with the game. That is extremely frustrating.

Your not alone
x570-E
5950x
AMD 6900 XT
4x 8 gb ddr4 3600 cl16 flat also tested slower memory kit did not resolve
2x 980 pro 2 tb nvme
2x 2 tb mx500 ssd
2x 1 tb 860 evo ssd
1x 4 tb mech drive
windows 11 testing windows 10 so far since overwhelming amount of reports all reported having these freezes on windows 11
psu be quiet dark rock power pro 12 1200w also tested evga 1300w g2 no difference
Can test another cpu but given so many reports its a waste of time
drivers 22.11.2 also had gpu driver crashes on 22.5.1 altho much more rare and 22.3.1
Feels like some kind of vram memory leak treating the game as if there is a memory leak seems to help in avoiding freezes or gpu driver crashes, also been clearing shader cache daily also may help, if had bad experience on nvidia gpu 2 years ago where clearing shader cache fixed tree flickering and if heard this issue is back for Nvidia users, so till then im very suspecious of this being shader problem or memory leak issue especially with vram

Altho AMD gpu drivers have been having issues for 6 months probably even longer for others.

Im trying anything right now currently testing windows 10, my system freezes always happen after about 3 days and then get gradually worse till i clear the shader cache by the looks of it or install another driver that invalidates shader cache and then couple of days later get same issue again.

Still waiting for a better AMD gpu driver, can defiantly recommend doing bug report to AMD as well, its probably issue they created.

They changed it to 22.11.2 which is technically speaking more stable cos it fixed MPO flicker, but did not fully fix all driver issues yet.

edit: can OP include everything in specs including nvme and storage

edit: had another blackscreen now and system freeze responded to win+ctrl+b but then did nothing, so i just kept in plugging in usb sticks and unplugging them eventually driver timed out, technically still haven’t had a freeze yet just driver time out so far.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.