Razer Blade 15 Base Model Question

I want to buy a laptop to play World of Warcraft and other future titles of Blizzard like W3 Remastered and possibly Diablo 4. The settings I am most interested in are High to Ultra (with maybe some unneeded settings lowered) and frame rates between 40-60, be it Dalaran or Raiding.

The question is about the Razer Blade 15 Base Model and if its specifications can get me the results I want with WoW. The specs are as follows:

Windows® 10 Home (64-bit)

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 6 Core (2.2GHz/4.1GHz)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB VRAM)

15.6" Full HD 60Hz, 100% sRGB, 4.9mm bezel, factory calibrated

128GB SSD (SATA) + 1TB HDD (5400rpm)

16GB Dual-Channel (8GB x 2) DDR4 2667MHz

Battery: Up to 6 hours (65Wh)

Please refrain from recommending other laptops. I know the competition and I am considering it. The question is about this specific Razer laptop. I would appreciate input from people that have the laptop and also from people who understand tech and want to comment how the specs look on paper.

Thanks!

• CPU is good
  • GPU is mediocre (on high it will handle it, ultra not always)
  • Storage - kick both, use SSD only (big cheap SATA SSD) which will vastly improve WoW load times / some performance :wink: This should be doable on your own too. In 2019 I would not buy a laptop with forced HDD and dreadfully small SSD.
  • RAM is good
  • add laptop cooling holder
  • external ultrawide monitor for extra immersion? :slight_smile:
1 Like

I was afraid the GPU was not going to be adequate… The next best is : NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 (6GB GDDR6 VRAM) if I’m not mistaken? They get pretty expensive though :frowning:
Your input is much appreciated, thank you!

This is 1060 Max-Q so downclocked 1060. There are likely still some laptops with 1070 which would be really high for a laptop. Non-Max-Q 1060 would also be bit faster. RTX 2060 would be premium for being current gen and having RTX part.

1 Like

Simplest question to ask (yourself): why a laptop…?
I can’t be happy recommending a ‘portable’ machine for a game that is intended for ‘hours at a time’ sessions.

If WoW really is the primary reason for looking at a laptop, "you’re doing it wrong’, my personal recommendation would be to spend similar money on parts & build your own PC… if you don’t have the space for even an ITX unit (many have quite small foot-prints), then I can’t faithfully say that your time of life is ready for WoW… yet.

I’m gonna be as ‘brutal’ as this sounds to me… just buy it, you’re 95% of the way there… you don’t want advice, you just don’t have the 100% conviction of choice you need to make - what the other 5% of you is saying - will be a mistake and you want other people to apportion blame to if your choice turns out to be one.

Simplest question to ask (yourself): why a laptop…?

I am a student a travel a few times a year and also want the laptop for other things as well. In the end I may end up buying/building a good desktop but that wouldn’t be optimal in my situation. I simply want something that is not confined in a room so i can take it wherever I want and have ‘hours at a time sessions’.

you just don’t have the 100% conviction of choice you need to make

Actually that’s not the case. I really wanted to buy it but after some answers in this thread and watching some more reviews it seems that it’s quite underpowered for what I want it to do. I am still considering Razer but other brands as well.
Also, I would never blame anyone for my own decisions :wink:

You can check local boutique shops with Clevo laptops - you can pick components quite freely in those. There are also gaming brands like Alinware, Aorus or MSI laptops - although depending on model it can be good or really bad. At a premium there are Kaby Lake G based laptops with Intel CPU and AMD GPU on the same package. The higher tier is around GTX 1060 performance if cooling permits it (they often put it into super thing super expensive laptops that throttle a lot).

I will look into those, thanks. Although the idea of building a desktop for half the price is even more appealing now. I will see how I can fit that in my situation.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.