RDF & Capitalism

Yes, of course? With vanilla dungeons for example, Scarlet Monastery grind is always gonna be more popular than anything else. It doesn’t mean you can’t find a group for everything if you put in just a little bit of effort.

Just because it’s harder to find groups for X dungeon doesn’t mean RDF should be implemented and the open world thrown away with it. It’s going to take longer with RDF as well, besides.

1 Like

Open world has nothing to do with it. It takes two people to summon. That means majority of any group get summoned directly to the instance, just like RDF.
I’m not in any way against people spamming SM.

Yes, which is why Lich King is already well into the sh!t design. Everyone should have to travel to the instance or at least 4/5.

But even with it taking only two to summon, it’s still not as bad as RDF would be. At least there’s some inconvenience involved still.

Why? Vanilla has 40 zones, TBC has 7 and Wrath has 8. That’s 55 zones split across 80 levels, 70 of those levels has completely changed to require less experience.
The Explorer title is a better method of giving people who want the explore the world a reason to do so.

Yes, clearly that is a great idea. Let’s relegate the world to a mere achievement farming role while 90% of the gameplay takes place in RDF instances. Because with RDF in place, most of the player base will only level through dungeon spam due to its efficiency and ease, killing the open world, just like back in the day.

I can’t believe you think having people uncover zones only for the sake of an achievement is a good use of the world. I’d think that’s a joke if I didn’t know you’re serious.

1 Like

Are you new to this game? That isn’t close to what happened. The amount of people in the old world grew after the introduction of RDF.
The whole sitting in city and spamming dungeons to level is a fantasy. Only people sitting in cities were 80s and they have the right to sit around in cities.
More people were inspired to create more characters and level them and majority of levelling was done through questing.
It’s not anything close to how it was back in the day, people didn’t know that you could aoe farm dungeons for fast exp.

2 Likes

I first played WoW in 2004-2006 but didn’t reach max level. Then I played the game again between 2008 and 2010, this time unhealthy amounts. More recently I played on multiple private servers and reached max level on Kronos. No, I’m not new to the game.

What I saw when RDF came out half-way through WotLK was people grinding their characters to max level exclusively through dungeons, and in a very mindless manner. It became a very popular way. In fact I leveled a priest to max level that way as well, and it was very easy, especially with heirloom gear. Yeah, the world does die because of this.

The whole sitting in city and spamming dungeons to level is a fantasy. Only people sitting in cities were 80s and they have the right to sit around in cities.
More people were inspired to create more characters and level them and majority of levelling was done through questing.

Oh, really? What’s your proof? My word against yours? Because I saw the opposite (and also took part in the phenomenon.)

You’re just talking out your butt. That definitely isn’t what happened and even in the bizarro world that it did, there is no way it is more mindless than repeatedly doing the same dungeon.
First real sign of damage to the old world was phasing in Cata.

Oh wow, like it is not happening right now without RDF.
Wait a minute, I just join /LFG channel to see what is happening there.

1 Like

It’s extremely mindless because it’s just queuing up, AoE bashing through the dungeon (with 0 comms), then queuing again. Rinse and repeat until you’re max level. You never even need to move out of the city because you’re going around the world via teleporting without any connection to said world.

You can literally easily sit on your a$$ on top of Orgrimmar bank and level your guy to max level without moving an inch (except for training.)

Even if you were to do that, it would be more efficient and faster to do it the current meta. The only difference being that classes like hunters can join in on the spam.

Yeah right, as if RDF doesn’t allow for players to just queue, get automatically into a group, teleport into the instance without having to communicate who does what nor travel to the actual entrance of the dungeon in the world of World of Warcraft, having zero patience because someone can leave and be replaced instantly with someone else who also teleports directly into the instance, and leave to get teleported back at the spot you were before the dungeon.

RDF has such a big cost in the holistic gameplay working that the price to have it is not worth. Of course, worth depends on the people who value the goods and the usage of it, and in the recent history we have seen many cases of big populations having a very distorted way of what’s valuable and the many ways marketing teams exploit people’s weaknesses, and RDF is simply too convenient for the sake of the game, and having it would destroy the other, more organic way of doing the dungeons, and the best example is in retail.

I do not want a World of Warcraft where half of it is automated and instantaneous, this is not (for example) Counter Strike or League of Legends, it’s not only about “playing a match” with defined beginnings and ends, it’s a continuous journey that people retake or resume as they see fit.

3 Likes

Yeah, good point. That’s what my point is as well.

RDF makes the game lobby-based. The world starts feeling like a lobby for the instanced content. The instances were originally designed as continuations of the world, feeling firmly connected to their respective zones, not some “choose what level you wanna play” on a list, complete with unlimited teleporting.

2 Likes

Yes, it allows you to queue and automatically joins you into the group and then teleports you to the dungeon. Rest of that first paragraph is nonsense.

It’s not Vanilla. The whole of Azeroth is hindered until RDF is released. I’m not going to pretend that there will be less players questing than they are because that’s not how it worked. For the 1-70 experience, it improves it in every single way.

1 Like

Then I feel Wotlk is not for you. When the content is easy, it is obvious that people demand for some sort of automatization. And guess what, there always were addons to find grp (= to socialize). If you are not okay with it, then go play on classic era.

Yeah but you still have to do professions. Mining. Herbalism. If you see someone else mine the vein and you have mining yourself, you can attack him in world PvP. Or just scare him and mine it yourself. That is the true spirit of World PvP anyway, not some lvl 70 grinding lowbies at the dungeon entrance.

1 Like

Yeah, you keep saying that, but unfortunately it’s what happened in 2009-2010, and it’s what would happen today.

RDF sucks players from the world into dungeons because it’s by far the easiest way to level then. You don’t even risk world PvP.

It’s the opposite. More people played old content once RDF was released.

Based on what data?

Achievements achieved would show it. Where is any evidence at all of low level players sitting around in cities waiting for dungeon queue?

Would? Sure they would if you actually presented data that would corroborate that claim. So where is it?