Realm Connections -- 5 August

Tbh I don’t see why, considering that the world is pretty much cross-realm at this point, we shouldn’t have all the non-rp realms in a region (or in the case of europe language) connected to each other and all the RP realms in the region connected.

There’s probably a good reason that I’m too ignorant to know though, and the concern of lag does spring to mind.

It would appear they changed it so you can have all 50 on a single realm. Last I checked though you could only fit a certain amount on a realm.

Guilds? Kilrogg is mostly dead from what I can see, guilds that where dead while I was active are still in the guild finding tool lol

Not convinced merging completely dead realms with other completely dead realms will do much , but good luck nonetheless

Well at least they are doing something now. Let’s hope they don’t abandon it for a few years and keep at it until they have it working. We’ll be needing it every couple of years.

Extremely low pop servers should be closed down and merged with medium population servers , merging completely dead servers with other completely dead servers wont do much

Not until they have a solution to dealing with: Character names and Guild names.
Besides connections are just merges without some of the negatives. And you can bunch up as many as you want to get a decent population.

The only reason for mergers I could think of:
-It looks tidier in the server selection (even that you could fix with naming a group of servers as they did with Battlegroups).
-On the hardware: you’d think by now they just have a scalable environment set up.

Or why do you see a merger as a necessity?

1 Like

They could keep the same names as with the merge though which would solve that problem , they would be seen as “xxxxxx-servername” , that solves the name issue. On the loading screen they would simply see their original name.

Indeed, that’s something I said in the past as well.
As long as they deal with the names/guilds I honestly don’t care what they go for. Merge or connection.

It is probably easier for them to do connections than mergers though (I only base that on my own experience with merging big databases).

And how is a dead guild a reason not to merge? More connections = more players = more people that could be recruited.

He does not mean we should have merge instead of connections, he means that merger/connections should happen to mix a dead realm with a medium realm instead of between two dead realms.

Anyway, the connection process has not ended yet, just because today has announced one connection between two realms does not mean those two realms won’t be connected to a third realm in the future, it makes sense those connections to be made progressively. If there is problems just with two realms it is not feasible to just make a big merge of 4, 5 or more realms at the same time, so it is better to just go 2 at a time.

2 Likes

This, playing alliance on Nemesis is really bad, top guild is sitting at 5/12 M right now

1 Like

I have said it multiple times, but for me it makes sense to think that realm merge and realm connection it is exactly the same. Realm connection is the implementation Blizzard has made to have realms merged solving any problem with character and guild names and at the same time do not admit that game will have fewer realms after the connection than today, even if internally for all purposes those 2 realms will be just one.

Merge realms is the theorycal process that have some theorical problems. Realm connection is the practical implementation with a solution to those problems.

Also the mentioned realms in this thread aren’t dead at all!

They’re just relatively ally heavy, but they’re perfectly fine medium realms, there’s realms in a lot worse conditions than hellfire or kilrogg.

If you play horde on those realms you see a very small part of the population.

Also they’re re-doing 2 of the 3 failed german connections and 1 of the 2 failed russian connections as well, always at the weekly reset.

Not anymore - that was changed early in BfA. The only limit that remains is that you can have only 50 characters per account. If you want them all on one realm, that is now fine.

Well, if you allow me to be a bit nitpicky: they aren’t exactly the same, these are technical terms and its better to not mix them up.
As to one being the theoretical and other being the practical, no that’s just making things up for ease of mind.
I will agree on one being favourable when putting things into practice.

But yes, I can see why people mix the two up.

Please merge Lightbringer also!

Why? What difference does they have? I still no one has been capable to give a me a convincing reason why both are not the same thing. Just because two things have different names does not means it is not the same thing.

I am totally conviced that behind the scenes of realm connections there is merge of both realms databases, moving the data from one realm database to the other and closing down one realm. The names problem has been solved probably having a column in character and guild table with the original realm name and the unique value for the names is not the name but the combination of name and original realm. Then in the realm list table they have just make two entries of the original realms to link to the merged realm on Blizzard’s servers to keep the ilussion that no realm has been shut down.

please make draenor kazzak and tarrenmill connnected ? ;-;

No thanks.