Recklessness Ideas

I (also) think Recklessness is a really cool spell, but should be reworked to fit in 2026. It feels very weird to be an absolutely overpowered damage machine for 15 seconds, but otherwise be only useful for cleave.

Also when I pop all cooldowns on a fury warrior at Onyxia, I can already see tanks not holding threat and I just die. The powerspike is too singular, too high and because of the 30min CD, to me it does not even feel like an ability of my class, but rather like an item that I use here and there.

Most importantly I think there are many design possibilities that are way more interesting that the old one. Here are some that would be fun to me, as they involve some more strategic use of it while effectively having a shorter CD, but less power (if tuned properly, which I can’t do without simulations).

  1. No Cooldown. Per minute since this spell has been used the last time, the warrior gains 1% crit chance for the next 15 sec, but all damage taken is increased by 20%. (For example if you haven’t used Recklessness for 20min, you get 20% crit chance.)
  2. The warrior gains 50% crit chance. Lasts up to 15 seconds or until the spell is manually interrupted by using it again (minimum 3 sec). Cooldown in minutes is equal to the number of seconds this spell was active.
  3. On activation, the warrior gains 20% crit chance. During the effect the warrior gains a stacking buff granting 2% crit chance every second and a stacking debuff lowering his AP by 1% every second. 10 min CD. (Interesting to me, because it has a soft cutoff for the usage time and the ideal usage time depends on the gear)
  4. The warrior gains a stacking buff granting 2% crit chance and 1% AP increase every second. At the same time, he gains a stacking debuff every second which lets 2% of the the damage dealt also be dealt to himself. (kinda stupid but I like it. Soft usage time cutoff which is actually not so soft, because the scaling should kick in rather abruptly at some point)

Also these variations are less powerful on average during the effect (if tuned correctly) than the current Recklessness and could be given to the Warrior way earlier than at lvl 50, so warriors could play around with it during the leveling experience.

what about just putting cooldown to 10 mins. (so about once per boss pull) and then turning critchance % down until overall dps is fine.

1 Like

Sure, that is the SoD solution. Now SoD was a testing ground for forever and the devs didn’t ship the SoD-Recklessness to forever.

In the latest interview with soda they also said, what they think, Recklessness should feel like. It shouldn’t be part of your usual rotation. You should not be able to pop it every boss. It should be something special. (Don’t remember the exact wording)

Now I don’t really agree with their opinion on that. I don’t think, it really feels special, just because you can not use it on every boss. It just feels risky to press the button and in order for it to be worth the long CD, it has to be overtuned.

However, they have a good point, that Recklessness shouldn’t just be a normal part of your rota I think. I like the big Warrior CDs to be used in a reactive way.

And that is what my ideas are supposed to do: replace an overtuned mechanic, that doesn’t help 99% of the time by an interesting mechanic, which is special for the way you use it.

At least I think so.

EDIT: Retaliation is still reactive, as it only makes sense in certain situations. Shield Wall on the other hand is sadly just another button in the prot Warri rotation. I would love to see it being tied to a condition, like a 100 rage cost, or it can only be used 0.5 seconds after you blocked. That way you really have to pay attention to this big CD, instead of just pressing it the exact same way you press shield block.

i like the idea of 100 rage cost for recklessness. flattens threat before big crits come in and requires a bit of planing

1 Like