Recovering an account with a different surname?

As the title says, has anybody had any luck recovering an account with a different surname?

Basically back when I first started playing prior to the mandatory Bnet merge in 2009, my account was under an alias surname.

An alt at the time was transferred off to another account & the original account was later compromised (courtesy of a room mate).

Blizzard have confirmed my current account was created in 2009, when it had the achievements & a character from prior to that. They’ve said the only issue is that the surnames don’t match (I’ve explained that it’s an Alias)

I’ve provided every bit of information - characters, realms, the months created etc. Between this and the account history (looking at my character / achieves) there should be enough evidence. I’ve got enough info that under GDPR should be enough to prove I’m the owner, a person can also be identified from a ‘combination of significant criteria’. It also includes a right for individuals to have inaccurate personal data rectified.

Has any body had any luck in recovering an account with indifferent surnames?

The thing with having a “right” does not equal getting your “right”. The inaccurate personal data rectification is only when you can support this with official documentation (e.g. court/bureaucratic documents, an official name change) which you lack.

Because it boils down to: You submitted a fake surname, claiming it is an alias. The alias in question is likely too close to a real surname. Therefore Blizzard will not change the account’s surname or give the account ownership to you.

There is circumstantial proof to localise the account, which Blizzard did find but for account ownership the name must match your ID barring an obvious fake name like “Donald Duck”.

If you got more supporting proof the only other way left to compel Blizzard to give the account to you is through the court, which I recommend to consult legal advice on this step with your own proof so far to see your chances.

There is one more thing, giving a fake name is against the rules you agreed to when you created the account.

1 Like

Do you have the cd keys that were used in the past to make the account ? Sometimes that works if you have them . But in future you could get in trouble at any stage when retrieving the account .

Hey Urukguy,

While we won’t be able to comment on this kind issue on these forums, you can contact us via the ticket system if you believe that you have information that could prove that this account belongs to you.