Relevance of old content

Hi, I just restarted WOW (not WOW classic) after a 14 year break. I am happily leveling my 1st char through the old expansions and am about to reach BfA in a few more levels.

I havent spent more than a couple of hours on each expansion, and thus only know the basic concepts of things like WoD garrisons etc. One central question that has been following me through the whole level process: is any of the old content relevant once I hit 110? Based on the lack of any guides on this, I guess not. But I would like to know if any of the below are relvant for anything but achievements:

• Are any old professions useful? Or do you just train BfA skills?
  • Is it worth grinding any old reps?
  • Is it possible/worthwile to do old endgame content? Do you even find people for that?
  • WoD Garrison, Legion class hall, Legion artifact

Are these all things I just ignore on my way to 110?

Thanks for any advise

What is your goal? For me it is worth it.

In my opinion you can ignore everything except the content of the last patch. Minor exclusions apply

Legion reps might be worth it if you want the legion based allied races in the future. Also anglers rep from MoP for the water walking on mounts.

Pathfinder for WoD and legion if you wanna level more alts in the future (also remember there is pathfinder for BFA too)

Old professions are useful if you’re farming mogs, or even mounts.

Yes. Because not only do you get unique tabards/mogs/mounts, but also you can gain unique titles and achievements. Legion reps also award allied races if you’re looking to unlock them.

Yes, there are usually a lot of people running old content like raids and dungeons mostly. Which can be found on premade groups. But it depends on what type of old content you want to do really.

You can gain alot of stuff from them. Like class mounts and titles from the Legion class hall and unique skins for your artifact weapons. Garrison has tons of rewards to work for a swell. Like mounts/pets and the heirloom rings from the shipyard. Even titles.

You can work on them any time you want to really, even when you’re at 120. I find myself doing old content at my freetime, as I enjoy farming for mogs/mounts/toys, etc. But it also depends on what you’re looking for really.

Depends on what you classify as “useful”
From a playing-at-120-perspective? The old professions aren’t of any use to you.
From a collecting/completing perspective they most certainly are. For example transmog-items

The only “useful” ones are WoD and Legion reputations, as they are requirements for Pathfinder - which in turn unlocks flying.
The other, older reputations offers nothing more than items of cosmetic value.

You most certainly can, but that also raises another question? Do you want to do for example level 100 raids at level 100? Or do you want to solo-run them for transmog/achievements?
If you want to run raids at he “appropriate” level, I think you might have a hard time finding people unless you go looking specifically for guilds/communities that have XP-locked their characters at a specific level.

At level 120 you can run any raid/dungeon up to level 100 with the legacy-buff (kicks in at 11 levels above) which basically make you a one-shot machine.

You can still do all of that, but expansion-wise they are more or less irrelevant at this point. I still use my garrison from WoD, but I have AH, Bank and allsorts of stuff tucked in there from when the expansion was current.
Doesn’t mean that they aren’t worth doing. Even if the garrison perhaps failed abit, it was still nice to have your sort of own base you could customize and play around with.

The class halls and the legion artifact have some long missing class-specific questlines which I honestly think are worth doing.

I’m guessing that you want to check out 1-110 before you decide to upgrade to BfA and unlock the last 10 levels?

Water walking is buyable now via an item and applying it to all your mounts don’t bother with anglers.

1 Like

the only useful stuff that comes to mind about old professions, are engineering bots, to repair when you canot mount

old reps: they give old stuff so it is worth if you want mogs, mounts, toys, or titles, otherwise don’t bother if you’re after useful stuff.

you can solo most of old content so you don’t need a group for it.

you can do wod garrison and legion class halls for story, but the legion artifacts are deacrivated, they’re just normal weapons.

basically old content is obsolete, even previous BfA content is obsolete, unless you want to experience story or collect stuff, just cap your carachter and head to nazjatar/mechagon.

I thought it still needed rep to buy?

My mistake if not :smile:

no if you have the rep, you just get one for free.

1 Like

The inflatable shoes that let your mounts walk on water are crafted by blacksmiths. If you have the mount from anglers you receive something that let’s you do the same thing for free but it’s a hassle rather buy it off ah xD

1 Like

There’s so many rep grinds for stuff now I’m easily confused, I knew I got a free one on all the characters I had the rep on though so I had it in my head you needed to rep to buy them too :woman_shrugging:

It’s one less thing for people to hunt down though.

Hi, thanks for the extremely useful answers! That helps a lot to understand how to go through the leveling process. Basically, my conclusion as new player is

• Do whatever quests pop up and keep going up in levels without worrying about professions, reps or expansion stuff (artifacts, garrisons) for now until you hit BFA content.
  • At that point there are many up-to-date guides for levels, reps, and everything else.
  • Once the last expansion is “done”, figure out what you like in the game and do that - possibly including old dungeon sightseeing or old reps/item farm.
  • Old professions are rather useless in general, unless you are an obsessive perfectionist.

See u at 120 :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.