Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed

Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed Removed

29 Likes

I thought we call them surprise mechanics :crazy_face:

Which loot boxes are u talking about anyway? Bonus reward u get for doing mythic +? Or loot chests that appear after u kill certain bosses? Or lockboxes containing loot? Or loot boxes u get for mechagon recycling grind? Or box u get from Nazjatar bodyguards? Box u get from timewalking? Chest at the end of mythic+?

Loot chests/boxes/bags are part of every MMORPG i ever played and most RPG games. If there is game genre loot boxes belong to, its MMORPG

5 Likes

They need to remove alot of those rng mechanics if you ask me,and the infinte grind with Artifact weapons and neckles.
They did those to prolong the play time for people who stopped going into guilds and doing anything end game to keep them playing with those insta gratification rewards.

4 Likes

Any RNG besides boss drops is very bad for the game and the motivation of players to keep going. Not to even begin with ML but thats another topic.

Benthic gear is definitively on the right path because theres only 2-3 options per slot so the RNG is reduced not like how we had it in Argus and the NEED for it to titanforge. I would personally just have an emblem system back with vendors so you know what to work for.

Titanforging is a big issue. If I want to do a +2 I should do it out of will to help whoever is making that group, not because I want to maybe have a titanforge, that is what builds relations between players which in return makes them play for longer. Besides, most people will not do lower content unless it’s for a friend or a guildie so lets not pretend like titanforging is doing something good on this department. I would be so much happier if I knew what to pursue in this game for my chars (BIS lists).

2 Likes

RNG doesn’t need to be removed from the game - RNG Progression needs to simply be replaced by Player Effort Progression as the main source of gearing.

RNG should be a boost to progress rather than the only real way to move forward.

Give us a currency to grind! Valour and Justice points! If an item doesn’t drop, still give us some progression for our efforts. If an item does drop then great, thats a jump forward in progression because you don’t have to save up for that item!

Upgrades should be a bonus to adding power to your items that you yourself can do with currency. Make it expensive but make it that, for example, titanforging gives your new set of boots 3/3 of its upgrade tiers, but everyone else can still purchase those tiers with their own effort rather than praying for RNG!

RNG is a shady mechanic to hide the lack of true content in the game though. Most gameplay revolves around the push for better gear. If RNG is relegated, we need Blizzard to also wise up and release a decent volume of content per patch!

Currencies have their own issues though, like looking for the most efficient way to farm and keep doing it the whole patch/expansion or an mostly set in stone progression path.

Imo upgrades with currencies but Gear through drops or chest with similar RNG would be better. Benthic seemed to be this way until they added the ability to get gem slots which kinda defeats the purpose of the system.

Yet this system too has downsides, like not being able to use a new drop because you need to fully upgrade it before it becomes an upgrade. Reminds me of azerite before 8.2 where a new upgrade wasn’t really an upgrade until you farmed some neck level to upgrade it.

3 Likes

I get what you mean but I think “delayed upgrade” is better than “Pray for Titanforge”.

Getting your BiS and “just having to power it up” is in my opinion far better than hoping for an item to upgrade so that it is an upgrade, or worse, never getting an upgrade because your current gear just jumped to absurd levels already!

But that’s my opinion. All systems have their problems but I’d say some of what I said and you said would be far better than ghe current RNG system! :slight_smile:

They’re surprise mechanics.

What exactly are you classing as a loot box?

1 Like

Think he means: PVP rewards, weekly chest from M+, WQ’s chests, pretty much all gear from any source as it’s random which stats you get or sockets / warforge /titan etc. Think his problem is much like mine, you can’t target a build anymore.

8 Likes

I don’t see any good reason for it to be removed. Raids give best items and u can target bosses and even bonus roll on them for stats u want. RNG was always part of WOW and should always be.

2 Likes

Got the timestamp for you, at which the presenter is talking about the gacha mechanic, which although stemming from Japan it is present in the West as well and we’ve been using it for a while now.

Here’s a bit of the transcript as well:

“(…) It’s really a lot more exciting and you get more content because people cannot immediately progress to the stuff they want. They have to keep trying a few times, so it really takes like 5 times as long to get the collection they need, compared to just progressing and collecting soft currency and buying it straight off.”

Whilst the video is titled "Let’s go whaling: Tricks for monetising mobile game players with free-to-play", these tips and tricks have been widely adapted to PC and Console games too of course :upside_down_face:

These industry-crushing practices are here to stay. If you wonder why there are no more PvP or PvE vendors selling gear for a badge system of sorts (soft currency) then this is your answer.

For full soul crushing I recommend watching the full video, it comes with brilliant gems such as:
“Make sure your games aren’t too skill based, I made that mistake myself.”

and

“Put morality aside for a bit, we can discuss it later”

6 Likes

That doesn’t apply here. Blizzard doesn’t offer paid shortcuts. Thats about paid microtransactions.

4 Likes

No, Elaynne, you are wrong.

I find it hard to believe that you get hung up on the “microtransactions” part, as I explained in my post the gacha mechanic is alive and well in WoW.

Moreover these practices do not have to be carbon-copies of what is presented in the workshop. You can custom tailor models to better suit your game’s needs… which is what happened. Because there are no more PvP or PvE vendors. Content becomes stretched, just as I quoted.

Weird that you think about defending such a practice and cherrypick that one thing to try and defend Blizzard’s obvious whaling practice :thinking:

11 Likes

I don’t think u understand this thread. Its about ingame mechanics.

Yes, I don’t think you understand the thread or the very game you are (maybe?) still playing.

WoW’s systems are fully entrenched in RNG lootboxes, which although aren’t directly purchased through real money, the lootbox system is alive and well in World of Warcraft. The in-game mechanics are pure lootbox.

7 Likes

I don’t mind loot boxes, but I think to be more fun they should have an exalted reputation grind added to them before you can open them up. Might be a cool addition to the game.

And thats a good thing as long as they don’t offer way to obtain them with money. Loot boxes aren’t an issue. Paid loot boxes are.

I disagree, I think the millions of players who quit the game didn’t do it because of lore reasons you know.

I quit the game because there are now RNG systems within RNG systems, and whilst not paid, you maybe get a lootbox which maybe contains gear which then is the slot you maybe need. I just described PvP for you. In rated PvP you get a lootbox for sure, but the other two levels of RNG remain :smiley:

It’s a sad state for the game. It’s a sad state for any game.

7 Likes

I don’t mind the weekly M+ chest/emissaries/paragons, it is just a bonus and I can see how it would be too powerful if we could target exactly what we needed.

I do miss the days of having a proper BiS list. These days I can rarely see if something is or isn’t an upgrade without simming.

RNG stats on crafted items have been a thing for a while now but that does make it frustrating. As did getting my benthic boots. Opening 30+ boot items before getting the right item with a socket before I was willing to waste pearls on upgrading.

I am not a fan of all the additional RNG in the game, I don’t find it exciting. With all the gear being thrown at players now from WQs and Emissaries I’m not sure that they need all this titanforging tbh.

3 Likes