Removing portals in 8.1.5

I don’t really mind traveling in the game. After experiencing Argus portals and all it’s loading screens I know for a fact that I prefer the flight system we’ve always had. I’m not in the game to rush from one place to another though so there is that. :blush:

Buy SSD drive I am loading Argus in 2s.

It’s not really about the loading times. I didn’t actually find them that bad on Argus for the amount of time loading. I just didn’t enjoy that kind of travelling around in general. Maybe it’s cause I’m used to the flight path system and I also like that kind of travel.

All the other MMO type games I’ve played in the past use portals everywhere and I think wow’s flight path system is one of the things that adds a bit of uniqueness to this particular MMO. :blush:

Blizzard artificially making travel time take longer at all costs isn’t a good thing. Does it “only” take 2-5 minutes longer per character to get to a particular area? Sure. That’s not the point, though.

The point is that every time I sit on a gryphon, I will alt tab out of the game and do something else. I usually forget I was even playing WoW and come back seeing I’ve been logged out and don’t bother getting back on. Travel time is like ads in between a movie; when the movie isn’t particularly interesting and you have no engagement with it, you change to another channel and don’t bother getting back since you forgot you were even watching a movie. When I’m on WoW I’m here to play a game, not to afk on a flightpath. I can afk without paying you 15 euro per month too.

Ground mounts feel like a punishment. You’re slow, you get stuck behind every twig, pebble and bush and have to run around mountains. Getting in combat is dreadful since you know that the enemy will follow you for 3 zones straight and you won’t be able to mount back up unless you kill the mob (and when you do start engaging the mob they will most likely evade and run back, just to spite you). Lets not even speak about daze, since why is that still in the game, really? Or those fun corpse runs in zones where you have flying unlocked but ghosts can’t fly.

I’m all for unlocking flying with Pathfinder, but it’s been 7 months since release. I know these 2 tiny islands, Blizzard. You should have added Pathfinder Part 2 with 8.1.

You say your only metric is “fun”. Did you actually ask anyone about how much more “fun” WoW would be if there were fewer portals? Was removing portals an important decision when you keep getting criticised for lack of actual content? Maybe you could have spent that time on getting worgen and goblins out sooner? Make a new hairstyle? Maybe create a fourth skin colour for nightborne?

It honestly feels like you Blizzard devs are from a different planet. You guys have zero respect for my play time. Everything you do seems to be about dragging one or another mundane task out so it can take up more and more of my time.

Flying is fun. Portals are fun. When I use them, I’m playing WoW. When I sit on a gryphon, I’m not even looking at the game. Give me a jump or sprint button I can use while on my mount, a rocket boost on my flying mounts, a rocket surf board for those puddles in Nazmir. Those are things that let me PLAY WOW and not afk out. Let players engage.

All you devs: go play Guild Wars 2. There are no flight paths, only instant teleports. The mounts are amazing. Gliding is unlocked once and then a base part of all your characters. It feels fun and natural to go through the world in GW2. It doesn’t take much to get the same fun into WoW. Removing portals is not the way.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I do like there being less portals, but at the same time, I hate seeing the old cities being turned into ghost towns because of no portals from there.

Not happy at all. They are basically artificially increasing time played to please the share holders.

How about for the first time in years you think about the players instead blizz?

Oh and just add, I will refuse to give portals on my mage out of principle. I also do not want to be mithered by players all the time which is bound to happen now.

Thanks blizz. DND on my mage.

I personally would think removing portals is a backwards step and does not improve the game experience

1. Will it make the world feel bigger, yes, will players be engaged and excited by this no.
    All that will happen is someone will log in and instead of taking a portal to X they will now need to go to a more distant point and then either go AFK on a taxi or go on auto move on a flying mount.
    A game that is designed on making players AFK for an amount of time rather than playing it , is not a good choice.
  1. It won’t be difficult to get to any locations it will just take longer. There is no threat to flying anywhere and no challenge.
    So pushing players into flying longer when there is no gameplay to it is totally pointless.

2. The game should offer convenient and time saving ways to move around and get players to the content/areas they are interested in being at.
    Those players that wish to not use them and take the longer route are still free to do so.

If the aim is to make the world fill bigger then it will do that, however in order to make the player care or be interested in making a world feel bigger you would need to add content to make players interested in exploring that bigger world, currently there is nothing in the travelling from point A to B that in anyway engages or challenges the player.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.