Removing portals in 8.1.5

Players in US are mostly not happy from that change, but what think players from EU?
There are question from Bornakk - community manager.

1. When there are fewer portals, does the world feel a bit bigger to you? Do you like that?
  2. How difficult is it to get to the locations you mentioned without a direct portal (talking to everybody who isn’t a mage here :wink: ) ?
  3. How convenient should things be for everybody?
  4. Why do mages have portals?
  5. Should everybody just have the teleport abilities that mages have?
  6. What content are folks doing in like CoT that the portal helps so much with?
  7. How much time do you think the new setup will add to your journey?
  8. For those of you who have mentioned the Caverns of Time or Dalaran Crater portals, is this specifically about the Legion-Dalaran portals to these areas?

? werent they introducing portal rooms? im.confused

They removing most of portals and leaving only portals to main cities in portal room. But in Orgrimmar you still will have 2 diffrent zones with portals, because all cataclysm portals are in diffrent disctrict.

1 Like

You just want answers to the lot? Okay…

1. Slightly. Yes, I like that.
  2. I don’t believe there is a single place in WoW I cannot reach from any location in less than 10 minutes. I consider that fine.
  3. As far as travel goes, a mix between mounts, flight points, and teleports feels best.
  4. Mages should have portals because it’s part of their lore background.
  5. No, but many items allow players to have teleports regardless. So everyone is basically a Mage, to some extent.
  6. Dragon Soul, because there are lots of mounts to be had there.
  7. Nothing noticable. Of all the countless hours I spend in WoW, a small percentage is claimed by transportation. An even smaller percentage is affected by portals. It’s insignificant.
  8. Caverns of Time can be accessed through other means, but I believe many enjoy the convinience of the Dalaran portal hub(s). I don’t use them much myself.

People complain that flying isn’t in the current content yet and making posts about it every day and saying it’s annoying to travel around on foot. What is blizzards response? They make it even worse to travel, and this time in “older” content… They are completely out of touch with the playerbase, except for the 10 or so fanboys in total that don’t want flying just to spite the rest even though they can walk from orgrimmar to caverns of time during a whole weekend if they want to. It’s disgusting

9 Likes

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: so true :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

Nothing more to add here

4 Likes

I don’t like when traveling take more than 5% of my playing time, because I know every location from previous expansions, even I remember now every horde zone in currently expansion. Searching for mage in main city is paint in butt, because they are afk or they are not nice people and lots of times give you portal to dalaran crater when you want go to new dalaran.

3 Likes

A hahaha they are trying to bring the vanilla sense of travel into retail. Ahahahahaha this is so funny I’m dying of laughter!!!

You cannot just add in so many quality of life changes, add fifty expansions, increase the world size and then take away the portals and stuff like that!!! It makes you look sooo desperate to increase time played.

Haha haha they are either clueless or lord almighty they are greedy like a leprechaun before payday.

4 Likes

Exactly thats why I have done enginering, got every portal item in game and now I am Monk/Mage. Can you even explain me whe flying is even thing now? You can just make every zone connected by portal. If they mages don’t have that idea then this civilization can die. Really they have so many ways to upgrade they lifestyle and they don’t use it. Fast transport is one of must have things in military and good city.

I mentioned it in a separate post. I personally think their are too many portals in the game still. Portals used to be a nice benefit that needed interaction with a Mage to obtain. Seems a lot of players would just prefer to login to the game and have instant menu saying “Where do you want to go today?”.

In guild with 50+ active players I have 2 mages. That really show how rare is to find mage when you can chose from more interesting classes like warlocks, demon hunters, death knights. Mages are in every fantasy game, why even pick mage when he cna only be a dps?

Just gonna answer directly because boi portals are handy dandy for those of us who aren’t mages.

1. No not really, world already feels large and I use portals to go fast from one place to another, THEN I fly from portal landing to my actual destination. I like how the world feels right now, if you want to make it bigger than actually make it bigger and not just remove portals.

2. LMAO nothing is difficult when travelling and hasn’t been for a good while. It’s more of an inconvenience than anything without a direct (or as close as can be) portal there.

3. A relative mix of something unique to ex. Mages and some generic like the major city portals, CoT portal et.al.

4. Class flavor and instanced stuff I guess, not every person has their HS set to major city hub #42342.

5. No, by all means no. We have items that help with teleporting around ex. the trinket for Timeless Isle, Dalaran ring etc.

6. Dragon Soul hello??? Also gives a quick way to the old Hyjal raid (lawdy I forgot the name), Culling of Strath and the other CoT dungeons. Not to mention it gives a nice southern Kalimdor portal that isn’t Uldum (I like Uldum but you know).

7. Hard to say, a couple extra minutes? Half an hour? All depending on where I need to go and how many times I get DC’d from In-game voice in a row (: (Let us opt tf out please).

8. In my case Old Dalaran (Wrath one), Legion one is too laggy to be of real use outside quick access to Order Halls.

I don’t care, I’m already going places fairly reliably without ever using the Dalaran portals, so I’m not losing out on anything.

The only portal I use from Legion Dalaran is Wyrmrest Temple. Since they are adding a portal to WotLK Dalaran in major cities, it’s the same to me.

1. No, of course the world does not feel bigger.

2. Difficult? Not at all. Tedious? Yes, notably more tedious and resentable.

3. “How convenient should things be for everybody?” Really? that’s a dishonest, nonsense question, and insulting too. When we have SI units for convenience, you can ask again.

4. “Why do mages have portals? 5. Should everybody just have the teleport abilities that mages have?” Mages have portals because it’s part of the class in the lore. Also to provide a social form of transport for others. Actually, at this stage of the game, with so many possible destinations on different continents, I would be OK with giving all these destinations to everyone. Mages would still need an edge, since it is fundamentally their ability … maybe a personal teleport (but not portal) to any Inn?

5. “What content are folks doing in like CoT that the portal helps so much with?” Really? You’re asking that? Again with the dishonest. I’m sure you can look at what’s in there, and the numbers that you have internally. I expect DS is the main attraction, but hey: you pull the numbers and tell us. But apart from the actual CoT, there is also the issue of travel to southern Kalimdor.

6. “How much time do you think the new setup will add to your journey?” No Idea. It’s not about the time. It’s about the friction, the annoyance.

You might want to take part in this discussion

white noise

1 Like

This post is edited

I never liked flying because it felt like the last nail in the coffin for world PvP. As a PvPer (or at least an ‘ex’ player in general), whilst flying is unavailable it makes for more enjoyable playtime when out in the world.

I understand those pro-flyers desires for flying and why they enjoy / want it however, and why it is such a frustration for those who want it and can’t have it immediately to be denied it after having it already in xpacs past.

Removal of portals seems completely pointless though, especially in older zones! It doesn’t make the world feel larger, it’s just a pain in the rear fanny. (This is gold, forum does not let me use the term ‘a s s’, but ‘rear fanny’ is fine… this PC liberal world makes my head spin).

2 Likes

If they really wanted to make world alive, they should’ve just added faction invasion world quest in old zones similar to Legion pre-patch. This would also create the actual war.
Portal removing gives only frustration and nothing else.

6 Likes

Making world larger by making people “walk” through old content is something that only idiot would believe and “sheep” that work for Blizzard will try to convince you is a good idea even though they don’t believe it as well. Like really, portals are essential to this game, the ability to traverse huge distances faster is the only reason why from time to time I venture into old and forgotten parts of the world, if I have to look for mage every single time or if i need to wait for minutes then I don’t think I will leave current content at all…

1 Like