Repetitive shared covenant story arc content feedback for devs

Each of the four Covenants in Shadowlands has its own unique story campaign, consisting of 9 Chapters. This was a really exciting bit of news for me when I started playing Shadowlands, because I love the WoW lore and I am a bit of a story freak. So I got four characters to 60 and then I started the Covenant story-arc campaigns.

With the exception of Ardenweald, the other three Covenants (Maldraxxus, Bastian and Revendreth share quite a chunk of content, I found. I am talking about the exact same quest chains, making the experience rather repetitive.

To me, that is just very lazy, not to mention rather boring. I don’t mind the cross-overs (in small doses), but you actually have to repeat the exact same content. One such example is arriving on Maldraxxus with the Bastian Covenant. While I understand that this is a cross-over with Maldraxxus, you’re actually repeating the exact same quest content as the Maldraxxus story-arc. In my opinion, it would have served the cross-over better if you were doing something else, unique to your Covenant. For example, a cross-over is happening, Bastian has to protect the Eastern flank, while Maldraxxus protects the Western flank. Same cross-over, but different quest content, with a different path.

But the devs didn’t do that! = Boring!

On the subject of Cross-overs, as I say, I don’t mind them in small doses, but I do disagree with too much cross-over, and definitely when it comes to a finale/conclusion to the Covenant story-arc. Both Maldraxxus and Revendreth share the same conclusion, which was so disappointing for me.

In my opinion, that diminishes the excitement and immersion of the story. I am playing through the Bastian story-line right now and have already arrived in Maldraxxus during the Bastian - Maldraxxus crossover, and I have been doing the same quest as I did on Maldraxxus for the last 30-45 minutes :S. I found it quite tedious. I knew what is coming. I got bored. I logged out. The plan is to carry on later and hopes it concludes that chapter quickly and gets back to being unique.

3 Likes

I’m afraid it will only get worse. In patch 9.1. all covenants takes the fight to Jailer and the Maw. So it wouldnt surprise me if all we get will be shared campaing like the one we had with Legionfall on Broken Shore back in Legion.

I hate when Blizzard split story between some Covenants or Class Hall. I have only one main, so I will just skip more than the half of the story, the story on which developers were working hard. Just because of this stupid game design…

2 Likes

Well, after I wrote my initial post, I logged back in to carry on with my Bastian story and to suffer the rest of the repeat content for Chapter 4. Then, Chapter 5 begins, and I am now repeating content from the Revendreth campaign. :frowning: I enjoyed Ardenweald, I enjoyed Revendreth. I was ok with Maldraxxus until the last chapter, but I am so bored with Bastian. When the Maw content arrives, assuming that everything merges into the same content, I will play through on my main.

EDIT: In the spirit of fairness, I am playing further into the Bastian- Revendreth chapter and I can see that after a few quest, the story arcs do divert away from each other. So it’s not as bad as the Maldraxxus story-cross-over.

1 Like

In my opinion Bastion campaing was overall rather dull. Though I liked the mission where you traveled to Redridge, to grab a soul whose time was up. And the one in Ardenweald. Both of those missions made me go “awww”.

I enjoyed the Redridge story as well. It would have been nice to expand that slightly as it was rather quick. I enjoyed the suspense as well. I have not gone to Ardenweald yet, but I bloomin’ well hope it’s not sharing yet another chapter with another Covenant! Already had two chapters from other Covenants for Bastian :S

EDIT: Awwww! Yeah, I just played the Bastian in Ardenweald arc :frowning: Sad! Happy to see unique quest chain too :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.