Resto Power | Viable?

After taking a break from the game I am leveling once more a shaman as resto and I have an issue. I am having problem keeping tank alive…

At the begining I only had problem keeping Monks alive, but nothing strange as low level monks have less mitigation. But ever since I hit level 70 even Paladins are seem to be melting and I am barely able to keep them alive with all my hots & spaming healing surge (as it’s only ~100HP difference and 0.9 sec less cast time).

So, going forward how viable will the Resto Shammy be?
Is the issue the shaman power as a class or maybe it’s quality of tanks not using their mitigation?
Should I keep going or try different class?

Maybe a bit of both? We’re not the strongest tank healer, but we are still viable. What kinda content are u aiming for?

Since you are still leveling maybe switch echo of elements for Earth Shield if you are spaming dungeons.It scales quite good while leveling and it clears alot of the spike damage on tanks.

I would say Shamans are quite good as healers in m+ and raids.I’ve out performed people who are above me in ilvl in raids.But it deppened on alot of details.But from my experience restoS is solid.To me its the best,but hey…i might meybe give the spot to restoD

It is unwise to judge too early seeing as both you, the damage-dealers, and the tank (in dungeons) are all likely levelling up – all of which typically leads to more pressure on the healer than anyone else. Lower damage numbers and squishier than average tanking = you’re the one who’ll be working harder, whereas your life is infinitely easier with a sturdy tank and good damage to make fights shorter. That’s typically how the trinity works, so it can be very easy for people to fall into overall bad group (repeatedly) and have their opinion tarnished. Furthermore, levelling is always going to be spiky because of scaling, but I never saw the problem (and I say that as someone who levelled three different Shaman, primarily as Resto from 1 to 120).

Shaman are perfectly fine for M+ until higher keys - at which point their reliance on long-cast boils down to needing more coordination compared to other healers. Our strength is mostly AoE healing rather than single-target, which is why Shammy is more desirable for raiding as they can pump out impressive throughput and have desirable raid-buttons. There are various essences in BFA that can help with the single-target issue, albeit they are typically cooldown based or RNG/proc based, ie. they’re not going to ‘fix’ the problem, just help you deal with it slightly.

I just finished levelling an alt Resto Druid and I can tell you that I prefer my Resto Shaman in most content by quite a wide margin as far as Healing is concerned, but that may be my comfort-zone bias. I’ve played multiple Shaman over the years and it’s still the class I always fall back on in the end, so I’ll be sticking with it in Shadowlands.

Regarding Healing Surge: That is the panic button. It is not meant to be spammed as that is a one-way ticket to going oom (and mana is one hurdle you will have to learn to deal with in end-game), though there will be plenty of situations where you are reduced to spamming it by necessity. The other (Healing Wave) is your efficiency button - the one you use when people need topping up but aren’t in immediate danger. It’s slow, but far less costly.

Regarding Prot Paladins: They’re easy to play and smooth to level, but also very easy to play “badly”. Prot Paladins won’t be very tanky if a) They are outside of their Concecration and/or b) Use all their Shield of Righteousness on a whim. A lot of Paladins levelling up will just lash out all their SoR charges to do damage (and probably move out of their own consecration a lot), meaning they don’t have much protection without sacrificing proper cooldowns. A lot will also waste their self-heal, and playing Prot Paladins in such ways leave very big windows where they’re prone to being unmitigated.

Still, a really well geared Paladin who knows what they’re doing are one of the most comfortable tanks to heal if you ask me. I’d much rather that compared to Monks or Demon Hunters. Prot Warriors seem to be the go-to, but they have little to no sustain at all and far less versatility compared to a Prot Paladin.

In short, the issue goes in both directions. To truly answer you, people would need to know what you wish to achieve with your Shaman. Eg. Raiding, M+ spam, PvP… or some/all of it. I wouldn’t judge it too early, but if you’re really not having fun with it now, I can’t see why you’d magically have more fun with it later. Shaman are in an average spot - and have been for a long time.

1 Like

Resto shaman sucks. period. I struggled to get over 2k pvp rating in 3s with this garbage class. Switched to holy pala and arenas felt like 3 times easier. Got 2.1k in no time and still pushing. May aswell transfer my gold and delete this famished class.

Ah yes, the eventual and ever-helpful “I struggled in one thing as one spec, therefore the entire class sucks everywhere” salt post.

1 Like

I have been playing resto shaman since vanilla and i have always been able to outperform other healers in raid.

The biggest problem with shaman is that you need to proactive since you don’t have any emergency button, unlike other classes.
We have many amazing tools to use, but if you want to become a good shaman you need alot of practice.
In m+ healing as a shaman Vs a druid its extremly hard as you would have to singel target heal more then aoe, unless they are stacking and or lots of melee players
So they also can have the full benefit og healing Rain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.