Resto shaman

Hi

Im playing resto shaman. And ive tried googling alot how to heal properly during dungeons. Heroic goes fine, but im struggeling on mythic. I tried mythic+10, but got the whole squad wiped again and again. One of them said politely that im not a good healer. No offence taken. But whats your go to spells and totems? How do you heal good? Thanks on advance

1 Like

Resto shaman are not in a good place right now for mythic plus (cant speak for pvp/raids as I don’t do them)

I levelled my shaman to 66 and rerolled to my priest as even at 300 il (from resto sham being my main in SL) I felt totally useless… and weak in dungeons.

Hopefully they will do some work to make the class viable as i love resto shammy.

1 Like

Thanks for reply. Now as i read trough other posts i get the same feeling. However ive spent alot of time with my shaman and wouldnt like to see him go to waste. Also when i play dps im at the bottom. Next up usually has double the dps than i do. Thats why i went out and asked here since i think im a crappy player

You are in a group, so the rest of the group aren’t playing perfect either.

What I did on mine, and I’m not playing keys, on the shaman talent side, go for everything that is giving you something to deal with certain things. Take that 3% dmg talents, looks nice on paper, but I’d prefer to go with hex, tremor, purge, stuff like that.

I specced e.g. Ever-Rising Tide, but giving me mana issues, esp. since right now there’s mostly doing healing, doing dmg is rare, in pugs at least.

1 Like

Which dungeon and what packs were giving you issues causing repeated wipes? I find these kind of things are all fairly situational and how smooth the run goes depends entirely on how good all of the players are as a collective. If people are interrupting, moving out of bad stuff then it makes a world of difference in how much healing is needed.

I’m by no means an expert or anything… I’ve just come back to game after not really playing since WoD. But I’ve done a bunch of 10-12s and now going to start going a bit higher… but I’m keeping up with lots of Riptide, Healing Surge and Downpour casts if multiple on low health. Then depending on situation - Ancestral Guidance, Ascendance, NS+HW or Healing Tide Totem for when things start getting spicy.

1 Like

it is just that shaman heals for absolutely nothing and that is because it has too many dumb modifiers.

healing stream totem gives 3 spells 25%
flame shock gives 2 stacks for 30%
selfhealing 30% mod
if you have so many high modifiers of course the base heals does nothing.

while all the other healers can crit for way up 100k, my basic heals crit for 30k tops lol
riptide ticks for 2k on 300k hp pools…
at this point you need to trade cds for every pack but the cds are too long and doesnt even do much.

the only thing shaman has going is that it can put out heavy dmg. so if your grp manages to take alsmost no dmg resto shaman is great, just not at healing lol

1 Like

That is what I feel when I use my CDs, or a buffed high tide chain heal that feels like a normal chain heal, I sometimes don’t even see people’s health bars increase.

And I can’t yet say how it feels at doing keys, so admitting to that I first need to start doing those and see how it feels then. But when leveling my holy priest I saw a huge difference.

Next to that…the slowness, I could take 3 cups of coffee whilst casting a healing spell…

1 Like

Resto shamans are fine in raid but they have mana issues. In Mythic +? Yeah they need some utility buffs / changes because when your team mate sucks then good luck.

1 Like

i only did a +2 on my resto and also my holy priest.
both have the same gear.
but my holy priest has like triple the healing output and i dont even need to use my holy words becaust my heal crits for 80k with a fast cast time
in comparision actually absurd

2 Likes

Did a +2 today as well, and it felt as you said.

Last expansion I used High Tide, and esp. in Season 4, it felt really strong. Now I un-selected it, it just doesn’t do anything. I don’t see any health added to anyone in the group when using it, I sometimes wonder if it’s working, since it feels like a normal weak chain heal.

I made some changes, unlike what most seem to use, I went for watershield and resurgence, I noticed mana issues. I also wonder if acid rain is worth it, same as fire and ice, any dmg looks nice on paper, but in reality it hardly adds anything tbh.

Take improved lightning bolt, now that’s decent. Why they made fire and ice 3%, that’s literally nothing. I’d put those at 20% as well, so it’s worth picking.

I feel like I need to invest in hast a lot, since it feels sooooo slooooowwwww.

Still, I prefer not to take the easy way and main holy priest or something. I’ll still level my priest, but I like to do things with my favorite specs. I also do M+ with my survival hunter, not actually the most wanted spec. I just really enjoy playing those specs.

1 Like

We wiped on the nokhud offence. The first bit were you take out the guys at the ballistas. Before doing dragon boss

At 391 ilvl i crit for over 100k, riptide can crit for 40k on cast

at my ilvl I got following numbers:
No buffs all non crit, you could just double so whatever for crit
Riptide 13k
healing surge 16k
healing wave 20k

why resto shaman is such a joke? Again because it has too many modifiers. But modifiers are bad as they have either charges or are limited to a person

earth shield 20%
Selfheal 30%
Undulation 50%
SC 25%
ERT 10%

So you could buff your heals by a whooping 135% but it is limited so much and sometimes no control over it as well.

Meanwhile my priest at similar ilvl
has 3 charges on basically no cd that does 80k non crit heals
a passive auto heal that ticks tripple of riptide
a passive jumping heal that heals 10k per jump

aside from that heal and flash heal which heal about 20% more than the resto shaman heals have also roughly 40% crit chance without doing anything.

the hps difference is giant, especially on random targets.

so yes rshaman can get a big crit, but a) you have almost no crit chance for healing wave and b) you need to setup the big heal while other heals absolutely dont

So, at the moment, the main thing with resto shaman is the lack of powerful heals for a small group. In dungeons, people aren’t usually stacked to make full use of chain heal either. And because our heals are weaker, we can’t spend as much time helping DPS.

It’s not that it’s unusable, it’s that you have to be much more pro-active in your healing, the setup for big heals takes longer. Know when the damage is coming and prepare for it. Get that juicy cloudburst stacked up with a Primordial Wave>Unleash Life empowered Healing Wave seems to work well for me.

I focus on speed at the moment. Sadly, not a lot of haste/vers gear has dropped, but that is what I’d focus on (eventually).

I focus my gearing on M+.

I saw the advise of talent builds on wowhead/icyveins. mine is different. Ever-Rising Tide, looks nice, but I get in mana problems fast using that.

I use water shield and esp. Resurgence.

Using Flash Flood as well, until it’s no longer needed.

I’m still not convinced on some things, take Acid Rain. I am also not sure about Prim. Wave, esp the upgrades, maybe just pick the basic one instead.

I am still tweaking, doing low keys, testing out if a build works. I might remove e.g. “Continuous Waves” and add “Master of the Elements”

The only thing I can’t change is healing output. I noticed this is much higher with my other healers, no matter what build I try, my heals are still weak. I am casting 3 times as much as what I did in SL. Chain heal really feels like it does absolutely nothing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.