[Returning player]Preparing a restart on a different server

I was a semi-serious raider until WotLK. With the release of BfA, I decided to make a new account and give it another try. Unfortunately, I did not have time to play and stopped after three months.

I got excited by Shadowlands and some of my friends have said they will pick up the game again as well. They are playing Horde on another server.

I am restarting as Horde on a new server and I am looking for tips. Are there things I can do on my Alliance character that will benefit me on a new server as a Horde when Shadowlands is released?

I was thinking about joining a guild and buying some heirloom items. Are there other things that will give me a headstart?

I thought about pre-ordering now and boosting a Horde character to 120, but that seems unattractive as the character would miss out on all the BfA quest content. Additionally, I wouldn’t want to commit to a new character knowing so little about the new expansion.

The only thing you can benefit from your current alliance character (without paying for faction change and realm transfer) to your future horde character is getting the BFA pathfinder achievements so you can fly in the BFA areas (since you said you wanted to experience those from the horde side with your new character). Other than that you can polly make some gold. After all there’s a lot of time till Shadowlands.

I did not know it was possible to send gold between realms/factions, but that would be good indeed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Might follow up on the Pathfinder achievement depending on how much work part 2 is.

You cant, but you can use the gold on the current character to buy useful account-bound stuff like functional mounts if you don’t already own them (Sky Golem for being able to pick up herbs without dismounting, the Mammoth who give you access to reagents vendor and repair vendor wherever you are and so on). You can also try to get as many mount equipment pieces as possible, most useful will probably be the water walking one that you can buy from Nat Pagle of the Anglers. But you need to be Exalted with them and for that you need like 6k-something Timewalking badges. You can check Wowhead about that reputation, there’s a neat guide there if that something you might wanna do.

Edit: hmm… according to this https://www.wowhead.com/npc=63721/nat-pagle#sells:0+4-2 you don’t have to be exalted with the Anglers in order to buy the water walking equipment… You can check it out and maybe you don’t need to farm this reputation.

As Goreeth says, you can’t send gold between realms, but there are things you can do.

Account-wide vendor mounts are a good example.

There are two other ways to send gold across realms. indirectly.

1. Buy account-bound items with a vendor price. I use Renowned Guild Tabard. This is handy for small amounts. Send a dozen or so to your new alt and vendor them for some pocket money. However, you lose 75% of the value on the deal. Not a problem for a couple of hundred, but not appropriate for your whole stash.

2. Buy battle pets at the AH, learn them. On your alt, cage them and sell them. Two caveats:
    a) You can learn pets only up to the max level you have achieved, so pick level 1s.
    b) The pet market is irrational and somewhat slow. Choose the pets you intend to sell wisely, based on demand and on the consistency of prices across realms, so you don’t lose gold - or at least don’t lose much - on the deal. If you’re patient, and do your research, you can make gold on the deal, but if you’re in a hurry to buy and sell, you won’t. Breeds are also a potential factor.

Pathfinder 2 is all about the rep. It can be done in a week, but that’s a grind. Two or three weeks of more moderate daily visits to Naz and Mech will do it.

When you come to deciding a realm for Horde, look at Draenor. Maybe, if you want to go real hardcore, you’ll follow to wherever Method are planting their camp - currently Tarren Mill - to get in with the guys who are aiming towards the real top, but I figure Draenor ought to have enough high-impact players for anyone.

Hey!

I im also gonna restart. got the shadowlands boost but i dont know what i will do:D
Interested in grouping up somehow? add me DrMoist#21625

Interesting suggestions, thank you all.

I had 50k, so I bought a lot of Heirloom gear and upgraded the heirloom gear of the character I’m currently leveling as Horde.

I’ve finished pathfinder part 1 and will try to finish part 2, though I’ve yet to start Mechagon and just did the introductory Naz’jatar quests. Think that might take some time, but we’ll see.

I’ll definitely buy the Mammoth, that’s a very good suggestion. Though I need to save some after buying all that Heirloom gear. The Sky Golem is even more expensive, but I’ll see how much money I can get together by questing for Pathfinder.

With regards to the Waterstrider, I would love to be able to walk on water, but I read that it’s about 3 weeks of grinding fishing in MoP. Don’t think I’m willing to commit to such a dull grind as a casual player, but in my research I did find you can buy inflatable mount shoes as equipment for your mounts.

Thank you all!

@Clebb, I’ll be grinding on this character till Christmas and then not be back until Shadowlands releases, but let’s see when Shadowlands releases!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.