Returning player

Returning player, last played in 2011 so a lot has changed. Levelled a handful of characters, enjoy some more than others. This time around I don’t have the friends I used to play with nor the time to sit in a raid for 6 hours so the way I play has also changed and been solely reliant on LFG/R.

I have a few questions:

Is there a good, populated, EU, mostly English-speaking realm? Magtheridon was the place to be for horde back in the day but this time around I joined Ragnaros. However, it seems mostly non-English so willing to move.

Mythic dungeons seem a hard barrier for new/returning players. Never stepped foot in an M+ as there isn’t a LFG (Why?? Seems strange to make people manually form these groups when an automated system already exists), I just get constantly declined from M0 premade groups (Not right to ask newcomers to set up their own groups either when they aren’t really sure how to do things). Is it because they can see I have not done a mythic before? I have 256 ilvl on this character so this is enough surely?

I hear there is some sort of addon that is scoring me based on my previous (none existent) runs, sounds a pretty messed up elitist thing to do. Is that what people are doing?

Due to living arrangements I am not willing/able to talk on a microphone. I also don’t wish to sign up to an extremal service like Discord, is this a major problem for joining guilds these days?

Draenor, Kazzak, Tarren Mill. I thought Ragnaros was majority English, but maybe I’m out of date. Twisting Nether may suffer from the same language problem as Ragnaros. See https://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/eu/lang.en and sort by Horde population.

Draenor will likely suffer from lag and queues for a few weeks, or even a couple of months, when DF launches.

If you are thinking of moving, make a level 1 on your target realm and spend some time checking out Trade.

They are.

Blizzard’s aim was to get people out of the automated queues. IKR. :woman_shrugging:

It’s enough to do the dungeon. However, if they they can get higher gear and better record, they won’t take you.

Yeah. Raider.io. Though now Blizzard have incorporated a simplified version of it it into the Group Finder itself, so people don’t actually need the addon. (But they all have it anyway.) Consider it the 2022 version of Gearscore.

Voice comms are widely used for organised groups. Discord is where a lot of the social interaction happens both for voice in groups and text chat outside them. FWIW, you can access Discord through a browser rather than install the client, and sign up for free.

You can certainly join guilds and Communities (like guilds, but cross-realm) without them, but how important those things are will vary from case to case.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

1 Like

Thanks for the response, seems I need to reconsider renewing my subscription with such an impassable barrier to end game. While fun for a while, levelling a toon to 60, gearing to this ilevel then standing around doing nothing stops being fun after the 5-6th character.

Most of the chat/yells/whatever I see on Ragnaros (that isn’t a boosting advertisement) is non-English. Received various random whispers in a language that I don’t know, so as people aren’t defaulting to English, I take it there is a majority of another language.

Have a good weekend.

1 Like

It was a compromise made due to auto dungeon finders cant base on some factors, and yes 256 is, and you are correct, ignore the meme of “make ur own” advice.

Sadly the only advise i can give is networking, if your willing to move, maybe look into some guilds with active players doing the content your looking for join some communties / discords that are for content organisation or simply pass ur battlenet ID to people you see posting about similar things.

This is the strongest way to get a long term answer to the problems in pug content, this week is the complete 4 dungeons for a heroic raid piece of gear btw (291 ilevel) you can get the quest from the NPC outside the vault in oribos. For the completion of 4 dungeons u will get a box with a random piece of loot from herpic selpture.

The downside is alot of super high geared players will be farming it for that piece of loot so the pug system will be even more elitist then usual.

Also yes due to a system called RIO people can see how much experience in dungeons you have although this is a m+ feature some try to use it in other areas.

I recently returned myself and yeah im on ragnoros too, does seem like alot of non-english are here, horde wise ur prolly better off looking at tarren mill or draenor.

But the barrier is high in pug enviroments sadly, i struggled quite abit also.

Theres fated raids which u can auto queue for on LFR. Those raids drop loot of higher ilevel (276 i think)

Guilds / communities are sadly the best way forward tho, this late in SL cycle the pug enviroment is awful to try and get into. So maybe do some looking around for a guild thats maybe getting ready for DF and see if they do some active content that you can get involved in.

Otherwise wait for DF or atleast prepatch where everything tends to go put the window. As the pug enviroment right now is at its worse.

Play fresh WOTLK that starts 26 Sep. 10th Sep Blizz starts fresh fresh-wotlk pre-patch servers where all start with lvl-1 chars and 0 gold !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.