Returning UK player - a few questions

Greetings. So, recently got the itch to have a look at WoW as it’s being a while since I last delved into it (left shortly after BfA launch and to be honest, wasn’t really engaged much int he game since Legion launched). Decided to give it another try so re-subscribing but think I’m going to start a fresh character (probably a Druid, or Shaman - I prefer versatile classes with healing being the go-to spec) though just finishing off some race unlocks at present.

Just got a few questions if nobody minds:

1. Should I get Dragonflight straight away or is it one of those “Don’t get it until your level X” situations?
  2. I’d like to find an active, casual, guild (preferably with a good number of UK players) to hang out and enjoy the game with. Any recommendations? I’m a mature player (40+) with a kid so mostly online on evenings, due to work I’m not always able to guarantee I’m on so not looking for a commitment thing - just somewhere I can chat, get help, provide help, and maybe some relaxed endgame content later down the line.
  3. I know we can now choose which expansion to level in so what’s a good one for levelling story/fun wise? BfA? Shadowlands? Stick with earlier expansions?

Thanks in advance for any responses and happy adventuring!

Welcome back!

1. I would say that if you KNOW you’re going to play it, get it whenever. Getting to level 60, which is when you’re going to need it, is so fast nowadays that it’s not even a thing. I think the World Record for levelling to 60 is now about 5 hours. The rest of us will be slower, ofc, but you’ll be there soon enough.
  2. This is the easiest thing in the world for some people. Not so easy for others. Lots of mature players these days - I’m sure we’re an overwhelming majority. You can check out guilds on sites like wowprogress.com and raider.io or on the realm forums here. There has been a growth in Discord communities and in-game Blizzard Communities as well. https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/recruitment/communities/231
  3. Whatever you like, really, except Shadowlands. DO. NOT. GO. THERE. It’s long, linear, tedious. Best forgotten. When raising an alt, I always like to stop off briefly in Warlords - great XP on the intro questline - to pick up a Garrison Hearthstone, and set up a Garrison, and in Legion to pick up a Dalaran Hearthstone. Since you can go to Chromie to switch your Chromie Time expansion, skipping through a bit here and a bit there is perfectly practical. BfA should be a lot better now we will have flying without Pathfinder.

Most classes in Retail are versatile. I like Enhancement Shaman better than most. The recent expansions have been linear, not something I like that much, so if I was to level it would be in Legion or before. I haven’t done Mists of Pandaria in a long while

I haven’t even played Dragonflight yet, the linear progression is far too much handholding for me.

I’ve been playing Classic, there are two versions Classic Era, which is like 2006 Warcraft and Classic Wrath of the Lich King, which is currently in the beginning of Ulduar. I missed out on a lot of Wrath so I’m having a ball playing it.

Quick question, has my “classic” tag disappeared for you too?

1 Like

You’ll get to level ‘X’ really quickly, so there’s no reason not to buy it right away if you know you’re going to keep playing. Equally, I’m pretty sure expansions are applied instantly (just requiring a restart of the game) if you buy it online through your bnet account, so there’s also no reason not to wait until you get to 60.

Feel free to check out my guild. We’re active, friendly, plenty of UK players and do all kinds of content. It sounds like we might be the kind of guild you’re looking for, and there’s loads of information on the recruitment post on the Ravencrest realm forum if you want to check it out.

My personal choices would be:

• Legion if it’s a class you haven’t played before, for the class hall and artifact mogs.
  • BfA otherwise because it’s a new story that I assume you haven’t done before and I find levelling always feels quicker that way.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I see no Classic tag on your character on your post.

If I click on you to get the View Activity box, I do see “WoW Classic”

You should play whatever expansion fancies you the most and if you want to spend more money on WoW then finally purchase DF. Though I see there’s a limited time offer of 40% on DF though.

Yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice all, greatly appreciated.

1 Like

The most you are going to save is one day of playtime. You can easily level a character through dungeons in a single day to 60. Dungeons can take as little as 10 minutes and you gain a level on most dungeons up to about level 40. At least this has been my experience with 3 characters I have just pushed through.

For questing any will do as you do not have to complete that expansion. You can buy cheap gear at 61, 66 and 70. Those were the markers I aimed for. For dungeons running BFA is the most populated as it is the default. BFA is not an expansion I completed, but I never got an ounce of grief in any dungeon for not having a clue. Just tell them as you enter that you can take any advice given.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.