Role-playing a Zandalari paladin

Greetings,

Now that I am leveling a Zandalari paladin, I wonder what kind of a storyline I should write about it. I have to admit, I know very few things about Zandalari role. And although I will soon re-read the Chronicles, I guess I Need some guidance on the Zandalari.

1. What is the lifespan of the Zandalari? At what age they are considered adults?

2. How do the Zandalari prelates obtain the abilities to use the Light? How similar/different is this to human/dwarven or tauren paladins?

3. What do the Zandalari know about the outside world? I know they have tried to influence the history during Cata/MOP timeline, but how aware are they with world politics?

4. How much do the Zandalari hate/fear the Alliance? The attack on Dazar’alor is a recent event, but before that?

5. Can somebody explain to me the caste system as simply as possible?

1. Very few races have stated lifespans and most of those that do, had that done in a now non-canon RPG. So we don’t really know. Unless otherwise stated, it’s best to go with human numbers.
  2. I presume Zandalari prelates work in a manner similar to D&D paladins, in that they obtain their power from a god they worship. I don’t know how/if prelates of Rezan still have powers, or if the PC paladins are supposed to be prelates of Torcali, given the mount.
  3. Zul’s Zandalari made a push for global dominance in Cataclysm and MoP and even regular Zandalari showed up before that while using us to quell the more rebellious tribes. So they presumably know a lot. Point of interest: there were prelates in Throne of Thunder. I personally plan to RP one of those that escaped and converted.
  4. Outside of recent events, Zandalari had everyone in very low regard.

Lifespan:
As already stated, we don’t know their total lifespan, but we can tell that they aren’t mean to be 300+ since that was Rastakhan’s age and he was blessed by Rezan with longer life.

Faith:
The Zandalari gain their power from their loa, which in most cases is Rezan, despite being dead Talanji reminded those that remained faithful that even if he is dead, everything he stands for is still a thing and that is how they have their power, you can however make a prelate of a different loa if you so desire, wouldn’t be too farfetched.

Outside knowledge:
Think the zandalari has a general good knowledge of what is going on elsewhere in the world.

Alliance:
They have been wavy when it comes to the Alliance, like all other trolls they have a hatred towards Night elves because of racial history, something that they won’t let go of, same could be said about the humans, but in a less of an extent.
That said during Vanilla a group of them did ask both the Horde and Alliance for aid to defeat Hakkar in Zul’gurub, but any positive thoughts they may have had are likely gone now.

Caste:
The caste system isn’t as complicated as you think…
At a young age you get tested for various ability and connections to loa
Depending on how well you do you gets put in a caste.
For instance… If a loa shows you favor while young you will become a priest/priestess of that loa, but if you don’t you will be tested for combat and might become a soldier, if you fail that you continue down until you have those that fail everything and becomes the homeless, living off the stresses.
Once you’re in a caste it is close to impossible to leave it. You are there til you die.

2 Likes

The most recent was a blue post that claimed that troll lifespan can reach 250 years.

Current Paladins are sill loyal to Rezan’s teachings, but their purpose is to serve any Loa. I think prelate Rata worded it best:
https://i.imgur.com/meAELzI.png
You’re vessel to carry loa’s will, elite of the soldiers, blessed by loa and trained since the very childhood. You proect empire, royal family and temples.
It wouldn’t be out of place for prelate to form bigger bond with other loa I believe.

They know quite a lot because they have scholars, but nothing specific, hence they wanted to recruit Darkspears as this tribe has the biggest experience when it comes to battling toe to toe against various enemies. And quest about Da’jul and Keldran in Nazmir showed it to extend.

They looked down upon them like on any lesser race. They hate the most undead and elves. They can tolerte them now but that doesn’t change the fact that they’d wish to put all undead back to grave, and purge elves out of their path.

Zandalari is a priest/scholar society so Priests and Prelates are on the top.
Then goes regular military
and below are merchants and crafters.

To add onto this. King Rasta was around 200 years old when he was killed, this was ancient for a Troll, he was only being kept alive by the power of the loa.

Use Human metrics of the prime being between 20’s and 40’s

In Mop they were prelates of Rezan, in Hearthstone they drew power from Shirvalla, anymon’s guess of who they draw power from now.

Zandalari are scholars, they collect knowledge and document events, like the fall of the Drakari.

Before, they didn’t care, a few of them came to us for aid when there were whisperings of the Blood God returning.

He was king for 200 years, so he may be much older.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.