Roleplay - Enhancement Shaman (Go with me on this)

Hi all,

I am struggling to RP my enhance shaman and find my ‘‘role’’ in the world. I know Shaman has a lot of scope but I was wondering how to specifically RP enhancement.

I see shaman as advisors, mediators as well as those who assist in battle, but Enhancement seems to be entirely focussed around combat and less about healing and preserving like resto (and to some degree ele). Any tips or inspiration?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Spec specific RP. I am just struggling to find anything and as a result struggling to connect with my character.

An idea that many of us carry is to separate game mechanics from our RP flavor. Obviously one doesn’t want to fall into the snowflake-ism of all those supposed “high elves” rolling death knights during WotLK due to the blue eyes, but to an extent, you don’t need your spec to define who your character is.

Here’s one example, and it’s not one you need to adopt; it’s simply a demonstration of how that is done. An enhancement shaman has combat abilities, as one would expect from either a traveler in such a dangerous world, or from a person with past military experience, like two years of conscription. As for their shamanic abilities, then those don’t need to be powers with direct mechanical applicability in the game; they could simply be powers as simple as receiving inspiration from unseen voices, precognition of future events, the ability to ‘feel’ the pain of the elements in areas of great destruction or conflict, or simply a person who innately knows things they shouldn’t otherwise be able to know.

None of the above are abilities which would be of any consequence in a direct gameplay sense, but you could absolutely RP them as tied to your shaman’s enhancement abilities. You could also leave all of those aside and develop your own ideas while also holding to the same principle: not everything in RP or your character’s backstory needs to be based directly on gameplay mechanics.

1 Like

The way I would personally approach enhancement is by looking at the word for the spec itself- enhancement . You could play it as a shaman specialized in imbuing or channeling the power of the elements through objects or even people, enhancing their weapons and armor magically, using totems to empower themselves and their allies, perhaps even blessing the weapons of their allies before battle as is sometimes done prior to mak’gora.

You could perhaps consider how this would manifest outside of combat, perhaps being the kind of shaman that creates talismans, magical weapons, or again, totems

2 Likes

Wow, I love this take

I love it as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.