Roleplay Incentive: Happenings

At last, the Happenings Incentive is live! Below you’ll find the current Happening, including some role-playing event suggestions as well as an explanation to what this whole thing is about.

Current Happening: Epidemic. Submitted by Suraìa!

Description: The old nurse placed the back of her hand to the man’s forehead: “He’s burning up!” She quickly checked his eyes and found them very red. The man started coughing ferociously, it lasting well over a minute as he gasped for air in between. The old nurse signaled two of the stronger aids to come her way: “Quickly, get this men a bed and put him with the others.”
Both nodded and did as the nurse instructed. As she saw them walking away with her latest patient she sighed: “That is the fourth one today. It’s starting to look like an epidemic.”

Some mysterious illness is spreading among the population. It seems to infect anyone who is breathing (So forsaken en Death Knights not included) Where it came from or how exactly it is spreading is unknown.

The most common symptoms are a high fever, blood red eyes and frequent severe coughing. There seems to be two varieties of this illness, one that is fatal to even the most healthy and strongest men and women and one that makes people extremely sick for a period of time that seems to vary from person to person before they start to get healthy again.

There is a treatment that seems to help but not in every case for some reason which again might have to do with the possibilities of the two varieties.

Likely Impacts: People can get sick. The price of the so called effective medicine or other medicines and ingredients used for making this medicine go up. Also people might be selling ‘magical mystery cures’ that may or may not actually work to a panicking crowd. The disease seem to spread amongst the living with no discrimination.

Severity: Possibly escalates over time. Medical centers and churches might be overrun with patients.

Event ideas (Optional): Loads of possibilities for healers RP. Trying to find the course, trying to make a cure, going around area’s and rounding up people possibly showing symptoms. Setting up crisis centers. Mandatory health check for personnel.

Current Happening 2: Title: Lumber Price Hike Submitted by: Vashnu!

Story: After the War of the Thorns, much of Ashenvale and Darkshore were thought safe for Horde lumber companies. An ambitious Goblin would-be Mogul invested heavily in an expedition to claim a large section of Ashenvale’s lumber rich territory. In expectation of a new abundance of lumber, the prices of lumber dropped drastically in Horde territories, the Undermine market and even, thanks to the Undermine’s trade contracts, Alliance lumber prices dropped.

Little did this would-be Mogul know however that the Night Elves are not so easily subjugated. After a week on site, the would-be Mogul has reported staggering losses of peon and hobgoblin workers, missing shipments and damaged equipment. Investigators report that the primary cause for this loss is Night elf sabotage coupled with the would-be Mogul’s decision to ‘save some coin’ by not hiring any guards, assuming the threat of the Night Elves was over.

The sudden loss of expected stock has had a notable effect on the price of lumber which as a result have sky rocketed.

Likely effects: Lumber price hikes mean the cost of any product made of wood or reliant on wooden tools or stock would also increase. Arrows, ships, furniture and charcoal prices are notably affected. In an attempt to protect existing stock, there has been an increased crack down on illegal harvesting of lumber from most protected territories within the Horde and Alliance.

Possible follow up event ideas: Horde forces could head into Ashenvale and attempt to chase off the Night Elf terrorists, re-establish lumber operations or raid Alliance lumber mills for resources. Alliance forces could work to support the Night Elf Freedom Fighters, raid Horde lumber operations to further increase the cost of lumber in Horde territories or safeguard Alliance lumber operations.

What is a Happening?

Happenings are essentially rumours, world wide events and generally ‘things that are happening’. The purpose of this incentive/initiative is to provide a sense of an active and ever-changing world of Azeroth, to create the feeling that there is more going on out there than what happens in a role play hub. Happenings are designed to be light weight ideas and mini-stories written by players in order to help others have something to do and or talk about. You can talk about them to other people as rumours you’ve heard whispered, you can create events around them to help other role players or you can ignore them entirely if you so choose to, they are there to help role play, not hinder it.

For a better, if long winded explanation, check the original thread here: RP Incentive interest check: Server Wide Happenings - #34 by Suraìa-argent-dawn

What can I do to get involved?

All you need to do to get involved is go out there and role play. If you fancy helping spread the word about a Happening just bring it up in a conversation IC. “Hey, did you hear there’s a big recruitment drive going on? I hear they marched into the Stockades and drafted a whole bunch of convicts for active duty, things must be getting bad…”

If you’d like to submit your own Happening suggestions, feel free to leave a draft of your Happening in the other thread I linked above or join our discord (only really used to dump ideas for Happenings as opposed to being a new community) which is also linked in the above thread.

Finally, if you do make use of a Happening, either by writing a story, just mentioning it IC or using it as inspiration for an event, we would love to hear about it. Feel free to post how this has affected your character/s or guild/s here if you like. Ideally, I want to keep this thread specifically for things related to Happenings rather than the mechanics of Happenings (that information can be placed in the original thread ideally).

I hope you make use of this idea and that it helps you out in your day to day role play!

24 Likes

What a remarkable, innovative and wonderfully executed incentive for role-play. You are a true pillar of the realm and community! <3

4 Likes

Thanks friend. Can’t wait to talk with you ICly.

1 Like

A wonderful initiative! I really hope this picks up traction, it could very well make the whole server feel more real and alive.

2 Likes

Hey, brilliant! I was wondering about when this would be started.
I’m guessing it’s fair for the Horde to have overheard this stuff, so we get to play along too!

1 Like

This is a marvellous innovation. Kind of like weekly world quests for RP! I will try to keep track of these and may volunteer something down the line!

2 Likes

As a penal company we are quite happy this got chosen! Will keep you up to date with our dealings :heart:

3 Likes

Great! I hope we get to see a Horde one too soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, already used the rumours in RP! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see this develop! :smiley: Great incentive!

2 Likes

Yes! Absolutely, sorry if that was not clear. The Happenings can be applied to both factions and neutral parties if you like. Some Happenings might seem more readily applied to one faction than the other but you can always take advantage of a Happening on either faction. Alliance recruiting farmers to fill their ranks? Use the opportunity to attack Alliance food supplies to really put a strain on their food production. Just a suggestion!

4 Likes

I read your guild concept and that is where this came from. cough :heart:
You are free to come by Eastvale and make some noise :smiley:

2 Likes

Once we return from Deployment we will be sure to pop by!

2 Likes

Cool, you can always contact me in-game or on discord to set something up in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who loves the idea of seeing a modernized, ever changing and immersive Azeroth, I love this and can’t wait to see what kinds of happenings get brought out!

4 Likes

The second Happening has begun “Elune Hides her face”, applicable to both factions and those in Northern Kalimdor as well!

That’s the last of the soldiers will continue to run until next Monday, that being the 4th, at which point a new Happening will begin. Elune hides her face will run until the 11th.

As always, love to hear feedback on how you guys use the Happenings or if you find that they could work better or wish to submit one of your own!

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing about your guys experiences with the last two happenings and I might even write one myself!

Well it just so happens the new Happening is live!

Epidemic! A strange illness/disease is sweeping across Azeroth, affecting Horde, Alliance and neutral parties. The rich, poor, guilty and innocent suffer from the strange affliction and as such, there’s ample opportunities for both factions to make use of this!

The other Happening, Elune Hides her face, will remain up for another week as before!

As always, feel free to join the discord server or let us known here or in the other thread how you have enjoyed the Happenings!

Happy role playing!

3 Likes

They everyone, the new happening has been up for over a week now, check for details on the OP.

The votes for the next happening has also already started. Want to help us? Join our discord!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.