Roleplaying a Pandaren?

Hi, I wanted to try out some Pandaren roleplay, and read a few things about their lore.

The first thing I notice is that there are few Pandaren roleplayers, which is good since they should be a rare and mystical race. Then again, the few people I see roleplaying a pandaren often play two stereotypes: The annoying random oddball, or the pretentious wise sage.

There is a small problem with Pandaren as their culture is also inspired by stereotype ancient Chinese in media, often saying wise things in a round-a-bout way without saying a lot though. I also don’t like the fact that Pandaren should always be stoic or happy as that takes a lot away from the flexibility of roleplaying one?

I was thinking of roleplaying a pandaren criminal, inspired by Asian triads, working as a cook as a front, doing shady dealings in the back. Is this possible with a Pandaren? Or are they really limited with their lore?

1 Like

We have several examples of Pandaren criminals both in game -most blatantly with Madam Goya and her little triad- and in bonus short stories where it gets mentioned here and then.

As for Pandaren always having to be either stoic or happy this is simply not true. Just of the top of my head there’s for example Foreman Mann, who is so mean and cranky she is nicknamed “The Mean Queen of Green”.

Pandaren’s culture and the way they guard themselves against the Sha involves not letting emotions rule them. But this doesn’t mean they do not experience the emotions. It means not letting them go overboard. When a pandaren from Pandaria gets angry they don’t fly off the handle, they try to stop and count to ten. That kind of stuff.

And there’s absolutely ways for you to inject some variety in your pandaren’s personality. It’s been a decade since the mists parted. That is a lot of time for someone’s personality to adapt and change.

So, please, don’t limit yourself! Roleplay a pandaren as per your own understanding of one!

1 Like

I have foggy memories about Gina Mudclaw in Halfhill, who basically just send you to collect money from the others…
I can’t remember they are in debt or they are paying for… uhm… “protection”, but Gina WANTS her money, and she don’t really care how you get it, by force, sweet words, or paying with your own money…
Thats… kinda dark

1 Like

There are indeed “Bad” Pandaren around
Madam Goya and her triad is… basically that, a triad and she is the Boss
But you don’t have to go further than the Jade forest
Widow Greenpaw, the Jade ‘witch’ is the best example, you don’t need any mystical or supernatural reasons to go and be bad; no Sha involvement, nothing special
Maybe a little insanity from grief?
"Widow Greenpaw says: I believe I heard some young whipper snapper in my garden out back. Let’s go look for him.
Widow Greenpaw walks around to the garden at the back of the house. She stops in front of Shin, who is a jade statue.
Widow Greenpaw says: Ah, here is the boy. Doesn’t he look special? My late husband and I always wanted children.
Widow Greenpaw says: You should join our family, preserved forever in jade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.