Roleplaying noob looking for help

Heyhey Argent Dawn :dracthyr_yay_animated:

So I wanted to return to WoW and I would really like to try RP but to be honest I’m super anxious about it and have no clue where to start and what to do. Does anyone here maybe have some tips and such?

I have looked around the Argent Archives from time to time and the writing, storytelling and art skills there where always just so impressive to me but I’m really not good with social things (even in online spaces :dracthyr_uwahh_animated:) and that always was a bit of a barrier to trying roleplay. Not sure if there’s anything more to write that would be helpful but I’m open to any ideas or questions.

Thank you! :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

11 Likes

Cool to see someone wanting to get into RP. First things first, I’d recommend getting the addon TRP3 if you haven’t already; it’s pretty much a must-have because it allows you to create a profile for your character. You get to write things like a description, first glances and a “currently” section that can serve as hooks for other players to interact with.

As for actually getting back into the flow of things, there are hubs like the Crossroads you can meet random players — but most guilds are also very accommodating to newcomers, and considering you mention you struggle with social settings, it might be a better way to ease into things by joining a guild. You’d know the people out of character, so things aren’t as intimidating as they would be in a hub. Check the forums or the argent archives to get an idea of existing guilds.

Hope this helps—always willing to answer more if there are more questions!

15 Likes

There are also other guides around the place that can help give some pointers and tips on how to roleplay. Hope this helps as well.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of good advice around, but I just wanted to point out this part. If you are concerned that you aren’t good or impressive enough, don’t be! There’s plenty of cool stuff on the Archives, but if you roleplay in game it’s perfectly fine to stick to dialogue and use the premade emotes like /nod or /sigh, etc. Just as some people write eloquent and long emotes, there are people who hardly ever write emotes. I love them both equally. You don’t need art or a massive character profile either to make a cool and impressive character.

The best way to learn is to just jump into it! Don’t try too hard, if it’s too scary.

4 Likes

Hello there friend!

Do not fear ^^ A lot of people in rp will help you or will /w you with help. If you ever need help or want to rp on Horde side don’t fear to whisper me or mail me if you want some tips. You can also always send me a dm on discord if you want to ^^

Have fun roleplaying!

1 Like

Welcome to Argent Dawn!

Don’t stress it at all, I promise each and every one of us was in the same spot as you are now when we started out. Every moment spent RPing is a learning experience, and the only way to get better at it is to keep on going. I remember the first characters I made and the first stories I wrote and grimace a little, but at the same time I look back fondly at those times when I didn’t know better.

The biggest advice I can give on top of what’s already been said is to read up on the lore of the race/class/concept you’re most interested in RPing to get a solid foundation. You don’t need to know everything, just enough to have a grasp of the basics. Everything else you can pick up along the way. Always remember to ask questions! There are people who are always willing to answer them.

3 Likes

Something I might have overread or something that wasn’t noted yet, don’t overcomplicate your first character. Make it simple, something you are comfortable with. Perhaps take a few days time to observe other roleplayers to get a feel for it, view it was a “How to video” from Youtube so to say.

2 Likes

To ratio this, there are also people around who will snub at you or will “ICly” tell you to go away, or barely even acknowledge you at all.

The RP community is not -that- welcoming, but there’s plenty of nice people around, too. Just don’t be discouraged from RP by the people who stand around looking all “approachable”, but don’t really want to roleplay with you. They’re not worth your time and they’re not a majority.

Welcome to Argent Dawn, otherwise!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.