Roleplaying?

Hi, i’m new to all this roleplay stuff in WoW! I tried it in DayZ Standalone some years back. Anyways, i have allways been interested WoW-RP, but never got around to try it out. I have created a tauren hunter on Moonglade. Now i’m not to sure, what kind of naming policies there are left, or if i’m gonna keep my tauren. But my characters name is just a “spinoff” of my username.

Does the character name matter as much, since there is the total rp addon?

Being a rookie rp’er and casual videogamer… Is there anything i have to take into consideration for playing some rp from time to time?

Or any tips? I’ve only ever tried to figure out a name, and then just winging it, as i met other players etc.

And are there any communities for adults?

P.S. Don’t mind the character or name in the post. It’s just my first character, since i got back and got myself a new wow account…

5 Likes

Hey, thank you for your initiative!
Those are good questions, and I’ll try to answer as best I can :grinning:

I’m not sure how it is in other realm clusters, but in my experience, the RPers here on Moonglade / The Sha’tar / Steamwheedle Cartel are not entirely homogenous; we emphasize and focus on different aspects of roleplaying.

I think there is some naming policy tied to the RP-realm, but as you mentioned, if you want, you can give your character a new name with an RP add-on.

(Some roleplayers seem to not use those, though, so keep that in mind:)

I don’t remember the details of it, but there is a website that has a “World of Warcraft name generator” (if you google that, it should pop up) for every race in the game, if you want to use that. I usually have some preferences of my own, so I tend to edit those names a bit.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when roleplaying, is to try to keep it “realistic” within the Warcraft setting. Your character doesn’t have know everything that’s happening in WoW (in fact, knowing everything might be unrealistic), but you should probably pay attention to what is going on in the area of the game that your character has been spending time in. If your tauren has never been on Draenor or Pandaria, it makes sense that he/she doesn’t know much about those places, but if you do all the quests in Elwynn Forest, it’s a good idea to pay attention to the quest texts.

Of course, RP is pretending and acting. You can RP a human from the Plaguelands even if your character has never been there in the game. In that case, I recommend reading about that place on WoWpedia, so you have somthing to talk about if another roleplayer asks you about your “homeland” :nerd_face:

As for communities, there is a MoongladeRP Discord,
which I cannot post an invite link to, because I am unworthy… :roll_eyes:

a BattleNet community called LookingForRP, but I’m unable to post an invite to it from my phone… (Apparently one must be more active on the forum to earn link-posting privileges.)

and the in-game RP chat channels:

Horde: /join RPsocial
and/or /join RPnetwork

Alliance: /join LookingForRP
and/or /join OMGRP

Other than that, check this forum from time to time, events are often posted several times a week, and take a look at the RP guild thread if you want to join one or more of those. :+1:

5 Likes

Oh, wow! Thanks for the quick reply!
I see, there is a lot to take into consideration!

Maybe i can get a “real” name for my character. But i’m just concerned, that since the game is 16 years old, there will be difficulties!

I should probaly, think a bit more about what race/class i would want to be, and my “backstory”.

Now i see, your image is of a worgen, but it says 120. So i assume, you are perhapes not playing Gawrdon? I just got curious!

Oh yeah, before i forget! Is most of the RP in text or voice communication?

4 Likes

we use only text,from what I know.

4 Likes

It’s not as complicated as I accidentally may have made it seem :grinning:
There are loads of helpful videos on YouTube about the history and the places in WoW, about roleplaying the different classes and races… :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure how the game’s (old!) age can make naming difficult?

I think the reason Gawrdon is still tagged as 120 is that this forum is very slow at updating such things :grinning: I have characters that are tagged with guilds they left several months ago :grin:

I am a very casual player, since work claims much of my days, but Gawrdon is actually my “main” (although these days, I suppose I spend more time playing various characters in roleplaying guilds:)

In my experience, most of the RP is text and /emote based, even though voice is an option in-game (which I have never tried :slightly_smiling_face: ).

5 Likes

the forum updates only after logging in and out

3 Likes

Oh, okay! Thanks for the quick reply!

Gawrdon
I’m not sure how the game’s (old!) age can make naming difficult?

I mean by old as in 16 years. And it can be difficult to, maybe pick a name, that has not been taken yet! :wink: as for roleplay name
But i will try!

3 Likes

I do see enough players with a pre-RP name and and RP name in TRP. A problem can be if you re playing N-RP (so Horde and Alliance in one event) you are not able to read the other factions TRP’s (unless you have seen it in the same faction before, it seems).
I am, btw curious about the name of that tauren (because there are not enough tauren RPing!).

6 Likes

Okay! Well, i gotta figure out a new name then! Haha.

The name is not RP “friendly” i’d say, so i’ll leave it at that. Haha

3 Likes

A lot of interesting, useful stuff has already been covered.

I do definitely recommend an RP-friendly name, just on the basis of cross-faction and perhaps just to make life easier, but with the TRP addon I can’t see it being a major impact.

I would take into consideration definitely establishing what your character does know of lore, but really, focus on the driving points of what they’ve experienced.

There is the MoongladeRP discord, if you are after an OOC community and plenty of people there to provide you help when you need it!

Welcome o/

4 Likes

Oh, okay. Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.