Roll or Chi torpedo?

Chi torpedo goes further and has a stacking speed boost, but Roll doesn’t go nearly as far, but has an extra charge on a lower cooldown. Every guide I’ve seen seems to suggest Roll though, when torpedo seems nicer to have.

Does Roll end up being favoured in combat because there is less risk of going too far away and it might still often be enough to help with kiting enemies?

I think it is because you sacrifice a talent point for it to have 2 charges, which you could have used somewhere else.

With Celerity you will have 2 charges, and it is on lower cooldown. Unless you are in a dungeon environment (or maybe PvP, not sure about that) you will end up not using the bonus move speed from Chi torpedo too often.

Also keep in mind that roll works out better in terms of cooldown when you have an Evoker in your group, as they reduce the cooldown of roll further.

Plus with the existence of Tiger’s Lust I think we do not have that much use for Chi Torpedo. Still, if you feel like you prefer Torpedo better, then go along with it. It should not make or break things regardless of your choice.

Kyoth is right, but a monk without torpedo just feels so sad and slow…

1 Like

Depends on which spec you play and PvE/PvP imo. For example: the movement speed bonus + 2nd charge VS a single shorter distance roll for a Mistweaver in PvP, shouldn’t be a difficult choice. But a WW raider for instance benefits near to naught.

Friendly tip: there are macro’s that can stop your Chi Torpedo travel distance. Think it’s called a ‘cancelaura’ macro but I don’t work with macro’s enough to be sure. Saw it on Cdew’s stream and he happily shared info about it <3

@ Manocolore Cancelaura roll/chi torpedo doesn’t work anymore. It was removed in Shadowlands prepatch (october 2020). Removed for no good reason at all and many have been crying for blizzard to implement it back, but they refuse (lazy).

Doesn’t affect pve or pvp negatively at all, just making skillcap higher. No one understand why they removed it.

I just switched to MW, been playing it for 2 weeks but here are my 2 cents. First, I picked chi-torped, but after 2 dungs I realized roll is better. Yes, there is no speed buff, but getting out of mechanics is still really fast and shorter distance makes that you dont accidently fall and die (e.g. Azure Vault or Academy).

I dont play pvp this expansion, but chi torpedo probably better there.

I remember tha good old times when chi torpedo was damaging ability aswell (good ol’ WoD). I played with the glyph which made it reset if you kill something with it and I could’ve done insane amounts of chi torpedos in a row in a big pull.
Plus, you used it and immediately pressed space button which made you chi torpedo without actualy moving.
Man, that was fun.

dont forget you can roll in the direction you want : add directionnal ZQSD or whatever you use, with the roll keypress.
im unsure you can do it with chi torpedo, at least in a safe way!

You can. But watch out for the roll distance :wink:

OT; its very situational. If i play for example temple I prefer short rolls to dodge swirlies, if i tank nokhud I want to roll away further. .

I prefer chi-torpedo (speed junkie), but for intricate/contained fights, I think 3xRoll is better for positioning, consistency & accuracy.

In the open world, it’s handy to have the ability to swap talents on the fly, to adapt to different situations. Would be nice to have the same luxury in pvp.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.