🛡 [RP Project] Stormwind Community Lawbook

There’s nothing to indicate that it was something very remarkable. Kul Tiras just loves the noose as a catch-all punishment. There’s a merchant that gets the rope for overcharging his goods, too.

Crime in Kul Tiras is not something done lightly, especially if you can’t afford many bribes.

The usual law RP from the Stormwind sphere.

2 Likes

You really are the poster child of self-awareness.

Makes one wonder why they even use Tol Dagor.

1 Like

And you really are a child, is what it is, anyways, back on topic yeah Gab? dont try your usual derailment attempts, show about of courtesy for once yeah guy?

My guess Tol Dagor is just the ‘waiting room’.

Can only deal with so many criminals per day.

2 Likes

Where else are you gonna get some easy crooks to carry out your dirty work, if not from the crook storage island?

1 Like

Right, let me answer this then.
Because I said that I don’t want to sit and defend it, does not mean that it was
A) Attempt to power trip
B) Ignore/Serverignore - whatsoever
C) Control public RP.

Reason why I find it pointless to - defend it - is because it feels that this project is forced down the throats of other roleplayers or a situation of “If you dont tag along, you’re not with us and thus /ignore”. It’s not the case by any means.

Once again, I repeat, that this is a project for those who like the idea and want to contribute to it. If you don’t like this idea or don’t want to be a part of it - that is completely fine. You can judge it, question it, be against it. It’s all fine. We all have our opinions.

Goal of this project - provide people, those who want or need or may find a use of it in a future, a second source of references/guidelines. That’s really it. And because this project was brought to a public attention, is exactly so that those who like or support this idea - have an equal chance of contribution to this project.

If I would sit down all by myself, write it down, then force it upon other players aka “Okay, you either accept this or we ignore you lol” - yes, I can understand your concern. But this is not the case.

I like to debate and discuss. But if people say “This lawbook shouldn’t be a thing” - then what is the point of me to argue with? It shouldn’t be a thing for you, you won’t use it then. Why do I have to defend this against a person who won’t use it? I hope that makes sense. Forgive me if I sound harsh or passive-aggressive, it’s not my intention! I just don’t understand why I should defend it against such arguments, maybe I’m missing a point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This gets my sell then. Far too many people try to do heavy roleplay concepts like this with the assumption of “well if you don’t like it go away” type opt-out mentality. I’m sure a lot of people here can all remember the farce that came with Democracy Dan and his handler’s way of trying to “promote” and “provide” rp.

Or whenever there’s a big “thing” going on, everyone who ignores the big boys club trying to tell everyone there’s a pandemic - during lockdown no less - or any other wild thing like idk, marching 200 good men on Stormwind for a coup, or that Argus is in the sky and it’s not. Players are expected to just “accept” this or get browbeaten.

Opt in means those who do law&order rp or criminal rp who don’t want to take part means they’re not being infringed upon if they don’t want to, they can literally not have to worry about it. They can continue doing their Miami Vice cop shtick or their Peaky Blinders rp with no disruption to that.

Not sure what the haw hawing over it all is. It’s a lot better than the current legal professioneer’s attempt at controlling what goes on, which just has the effect of confusing people.

Mostly because unlike the other iterations of this kind of thing from what i’ve seen and interacted with in game as well, these people are trying to portray their guards more in line with what you see in lore over american crooked cop stereotype as a cover to try dictate how to rp in a -hub- of all places.

As far as Horde is concerned “controlling” it as you put it seems easier because RP is less spread out and more organised along guild lines. It is far easier to formation drill guilds than an amorphous group of players who are just trying to enjoy themselves in a capital city hub.

1 Like

Exactly, huge difference in both parts, the approach these guys are taking regarding this system compared to previous guard guilds, and then ofc, the Horde/Alliance landscape differences and how the Alliance cant really be “taken over” like one person suggested this may be an attempt at, nevermind the Alliance/Server, Stormwind alone cant really be controlled by one guild/group lol, people are so capable of just making large communities with numerous guilds now and can simply ignore/not engage with those they deem as rp dictators, as evidenced recently.

No, you’re right, it doesn’t.

But will it remain so?

Well people can just ignore over zealous guards trying to beat them up/arrest for no reason, and carry on their day if they dont wish to engage, what I would say is though, if blatantly committing a crime in rp, why not go along with an arrest/chase atleast? whats the point of being a criminal if you dont get into trouble occasionally?

Good luck with the project.

For having played a lot with guards of all sorts, with and against, I am very much liking the idea of picking a pool of consequences because oftentimes it’s death/banishment only and that isn’t very cool. The NPC Court System is also very welcomed for lowering the need to have players dedicating hundreds of hours for this.

And I very much love the Community Service. When I was under bail with the Kings Footmen, I really think it’s what I missed. Being able to travel around with something to do, it opens up a lot more of fun RP than the immediate conflict and prospect of just not playing the punished character.

It’s going to be a good idea to start slow, start with your guild and make it appealing for other players, that’s the success for building something community wide, being very fair.

And the final advice I can give is just forget about buzzboxes. This is what destroys guard RP and will take a dent to this project. Feeling like you can’t touch a guard or do any crime without fifteen more showing up before you can even emote a reply.

2 Likes

The best way to make such a thing work is to drop all aspirations regarding IC/OOC power, as well as adopting the idea that a guard can suffer consequences too. The “good guy” doesn’t always have to win.

I am tempted to have my own barrister character sign up for duty.

Haha now you put it like that, its even more appealing, I remember back in the day crime/guard rp was simply, criminal does something bad, guards beat the crud out of him, drag him to jail, tell him he’s there for a week or w/e and just leave him in the cell n go about their patrols, the criminal would typically log off n be like “ffs…what do I do now?”, thats if the crime was punished by cell time and not just a simple execution, the idea of having to answer bail n stuff is actually pretty interesting for crime rp, not something Ive ever seen or heard about until your comment.

2 Likes

Thank you a lot!

We are already slowly integrating this into our roleplay. For any criminal character that has been caught, we ask OOCly the person if they are fine with this idea, offer them a list of consequences and ask them what they’d like more unless neither of the options are fit at all. Then they can decide for themselves via NPC court system.

So far, three characters went for a community city where one was trimming bushes in Lion’s Rest under the supervision of the guards and 2 were mopping blood-covered flours at the clinic. Another person wanted to be banished from the city for a few days.

Perhaps it’s best to share a link to the lawbook itself here so people can see our efforts so far without having to join the discord.

.tinyurl.com/communitylawbook
Just remove dot at the beginning! ^^

1 Like

Which law system is it? Civil or common?

I’m not entirely sure what is the difference between the two. I’m not that educated when it comes in terms of legal. This lawbook comes with an idea of giving a choice to both sides and encourage rp & style that fits both parties. Could you tell me then, please?

Ah, well, civil law is basically the law system used on the European continent, with an emphasis on actual lawbooks, while common law is the system used in England and the Anglosaxon world, with an emphasis on cases and the jurisprudence generated by them, and a minimum of written laws.

https://onlinelaw.wustl.edu/blog/common-law-vs-civil-law/

I think the English system can be more “roleplay-y”, but it’ll require a bit more work. You can create all sorts of (whacky) cases of the past to base your RP upon.

1 Like

Also just a lil tip, dont do the “civil death” thing, that was lame af back in the day, abused so much and was mostly OOC influenced lol.

Civil death? Suffice to say that forced death shouldn’t be a thing to begin with.

I’ll give it a read, thank you!

1 Like

I was a little confused by the term but it’s not death as in killing an individual as much as it seems to be the loss of rights that other civilians have. In the context of guard roleplay I assume it means to inpose an exile from Stormwind.