RTX low FPS

I know that RTX is super taxing, its like pushing your card from 1080p to 4k or something, but 35% utilization for 35fps is just wrong. Not with 9900k/32GB 3200/RTX2080. No, just wrong.

Ray Tracing is very demanding

Unfortunately the RTX 2xxx series were the node that added ray tracing, but weren’t powerful enough to really utilize ray tracing without performance drops or using DLSS. You want a 3xxx series card.

But still 35% utilization? Was the card really maxed out, at least Tensor - wise?

Im gouging performance using MSI AB.

Your PC should be a monster for WoW, it is something wrong with your settings/drivers as I can get 100+ fps with Ray Tracing on fair, on a laptop.

However I highly think that WoW has some huge problems with the RTX cards, they do not seem to be very compatible… or there is a driver problem and I am expecting some fixes soon.

going from fair to high does very little in performance boost. Still, if a Blue chimes in why the utilization is low and if the RTS implementation is still in tune, that would be cool.

Looks like NVidia haven’t done much Raytracing optimizing for SL yet, the 6800xt is way faster then the 3090 which is performing the same as a 2080ti so guessing it will get fixed in a driver soon…

Skip to 5 minuets in for the Raytracing results

1 Like

I tested with RTX 2070 and it was working better. What resolution are you playing at and how does it perform without DXR.

He didn’t visited the most annoying places where DXR eats most frames :wink: But overall RDNA2 is very efficient in WoW while simple shadows ray tracing isn’t killing it performance as some more complex implementations in other games.

I know but still the rtx3090 should be out preforming a rtx2080ti with raytracing enabled, would have linked more comparisons if I could find any hopefully their will be more of them in different zones/dungeons as more people get the newer cards

Running fine here for me with a 2070 Super

Run in ultra and and hardly ever see it drop below 120 fps.

Did you enable Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ?
This needs to be done before running RTX
System > Display > Graphics settings
presuming you are using Win10 and 2004 (or greater) update

2 Likes

In a fully reproducible benchmark it likely would. In WoW even if we try to find reproducible spots in the game there is variance (and other player activity).

My results for RTX 2070 are on:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/analyzing-ray-traced-shadows-world-warcraft/

While RTX 3070 results should be over the weekend I would say… I’ve also sent my spots to HardwareNumber so he should also make some comparable RX results to my RTX results.

I know its hard to get identical benchmarks in an MMO like WoW that’s why he did that test on the flight path it’s pretty much going to be the same to with in a couple of FPS each time you run it.

Yep, I’m planning to test it more. Nvidia has nSight app with DXR debugger - maybe there will be some interesting stats there.

havent but ill try it asap and come back with my findings, thanx!

For anyone like me who has the same issues, my results:

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 3900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Windows: Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.746)

Before I enabled hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling, my FPS at WQHD (1440p / 2560x1440) and maximum graphics settings with ray tracing enabled (also maximum) was 30-50 FPS in combat and effects-heavy zones.

After enabling it, a significant improvement in FPS to 75-110 FPS was clearly noticeable.

Thanks for the help and I hope my experience report can help one or the other.

1 Like