Seeking advice on survivability :)

Hello all, good evening,

This is my rogue, who I have left mainly untouched bar basic levelling since WoD. I’m starting to level her up through BFA content now, and have gone with Assassination. I feel like I am getting to grips with the rotation ok and have no problem with solo mobs.

My problem seems to come whenever I am faced with multiple mobs or a mob that is stronger than average trash. I feel I am seriously lacking in my understanding of how to survive as a rogue and find myself getting flattened.

I’m aware of evasion and crimson vial and utilise those appropriately (I think). I also know I can just vanish and sprint away, but that doesn’t help me finish fights, for example challenge spawns, quuest mobs, or elites. My main is a feral druid so I am used to having some kind of heal on hand.

I appreciate any advice - I want to learn! :slight_smile:

sap and blind to get rid of extra dudes if you need. use garrote and kidney. use leeching poison, subterfuge, iron wire and either elaborate planning or master poisoner. rogue is largely about avoiding or reducing damage rather than healing though, so try to focus on that.

Well it’s always better to pick your fights which Rogues are very good at. I wouldn’t suggest, if you are facing multiple enemies to try to sap one before entering combat, maybe blind another, you can also use Marked for Death and get out a kidney shot on a mob.

tl;dr first thing I suggest is making use of CC

Second really I guess maybe talent change at least for levleing is good. I don’t know what you guys run in PvE but I have leveled my rogue with PvP setup in mind, always and it has worked greatly.

For BFA that would mean including Marked for Death for Kindey shots and Elusiveness, to make your blurr reduce damage, so I guess these things should help. At least use them for leveling maybe.

Still I usually advice picking your fights and disabling enemies with CC as your primary tool. Rogues indeed aren’t very survivable and the AoE is basically non-existent.

Here’s a solid leveling/World Quest build. Depending on your preferences, you could use Master Poisoner to buff Leeching Poison, but I find Elaborate Planning helps you kill things faster, so there’s less need for the healing.

This build is designed with the use of Fan of Knives and Warmode in mind, so you can get the most out of your AE abilities. It’s worth noting, that burst damage can also be used to heal yourself, since you are using Leeching Poison, so this adds Envenom and Vendetta some utility as well. You want Vigor instead of Marked for Death, as Combo Point generation isn’t really an issue for Assassination, it’s Energy management, that you need to learn.

To gain the most out of Venomous Wounds, you want to Garrote multiple targets at the start, so tab targeting works great. You can get 4 Garrotes, 3 reliably, if the mobs are close enough to each other. If the enemies have enough health, you can use FoK and use 3-5CP Ruptures on multiple targets as well, as that will give you good value from Venomous Wounds. You’ll be able to spam FoK, Envenom, FoK again and keep up your Ruptures and Garrote on main target.

Smoke Bomb can be used for LoS, if there is a mob casting or shooting at you from a distance. Cloak is also very good, as is Feint, when your enemies have AE abilities. Evasion and Vial are handy tools, but don’t forget about your Stuns, Blind and Kick. Elite Mobs often have strong special abilities, that you can totally negate with Evasion+Feint, Cloak, or just interrupting them with a Kick or Stun. When all else fails, Vanish and Sprint to safety.

People often forget about consumables. Bandages are great, and using Blind or a Stun can buy you time to use them, or a Health Potion. Always have a stack of those handy. You can also get Drums cheap from the AH, to gain Bloodlust/Heroism. DPS potions and Flasks are also handy, even the cheap ones. You don’t need to use the best stuff while leveling or questing, the cheap stuff will do just fine.

Using Vanish mid-fight can be tricky, because if you don’t attack immediately, the mobs will often reset. However, if you want to speed up killing something, and feel confident enough, you can Vanish to reapply Garrote, or Cheap Shot. In the worst case you will just start all over. Sometimes this can be used to pull a huge band of mobs, kill half of them, Vanish to safety, and engage only half of them with the 2nd pull. Even if half of them are reset to full health, you’ve already cleared a good amount of them without dying, so you’re still making good progress.

Sometimes things get a bit messy, and you can’t run away. That’s when you start kiting. You can slow mobs down with Crippling Poison, and you can apply that by either your Poisoned Knife (30y range) or FoK (10y range). Create a bit of distance, Bandage and use a Health Pot if possible, and you can make the killing blow safely. You’d be surprised just how many Killing Blows can happen in World PvP with your Poisoned Knife as well!

Usually try to stay in 1v1 as assassination. Sap and blind are usefull to take two enemies out for a moment.
Kidney shot ftw

Remember that feint has very low cooldown.

And try to avoid overhealing with vial. Rogue is all about saving recourses.

I disagree with holding onto vial. Use it early and you get a second use of it if fighting packs of mobs.

1 Like

Grand melee and iron stomach go brrrrr.

Exactly this, outlaw trivializes leveling experience for rogue due to simplicity, lack of mechanics to maintain etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.