Seriously struggling in high M+ as Disc

Hello everyone,

I come here in hope some of you experienced Discipline Priests can give me some advice. Basically, I’m struggling in 17/18+ keys a lot . My problem is that once I use my Boon of the Ascended, if the pack/boss doesn’t die, I fall too far behind to recover. I end up having to spam Shadow Mend and using Penance defensively constantly, as Atonement healing just doesn’t do enough to sustain a group during high damage periods. As Holy, I’ve no issues healing those same keys, but I don’t find it as enjoyable to play and would love to master Discipline instead.

I would love if any of you could offer me some general tips in terms of rotation and how you plan your CD usage. For me, Power Word: Barrier feels kinda hard to use, since these days there’s a lot of movement required in pretty much all dungeons. Pain Suppression is okay, but limited to one player (and it often feels like slapping it on someone who’s already taking a lot of damage does very little, as you then still have to heal that damage up). Rapture is the only CD I tend to use frequently, but that’s clearly not helping me a lot.

Discipline seems to be highly rated for keys, so I must be doing something very wrong. Currently, Holy just seems infinitely easier to play for some reason. Any tips or links would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Don’t blame you, lol. I tried I think up to +7 as disc priest and found it really stressful and kinda gave up.

What I tried doing is: just before pull, cast Power Word: Radiance, try and spam mind-flay, smite and penance on cool down, plus use the shield bubble thing on cool down.

Pain suppression seemed OK, but didn’t seem to last long.

It seems to me that disc is good if your group know what they’re doing, but if they stand in bad, ignore mechanics and don’t mitigate, then its Shadowmend pain and it seems to lack ‘oh sh**’ type heals.

I guess it just needs more practice and better groups, but I wasn’t very good at it. :stuck_out_tongue:

There may be a couple of vids from twitch streamers such as automatic jak and moadmoad.

Jak is very helpful and may have guides out, they both do way over 20 with disc so may be able to offer some advice.

From an outside perspective you may have to be pickier with which class tank to team with.

Guardian and Blood tend to work better with Disc from what I’ve seen.

I noticed this spec isn’t easy in pugs, since in pugs people give af about you :wink: As holy I also even struggle sometimes, mostly with tanks that cba to wait for a decent amount of mana. Disc works well if you play with a fixed group, or at least a pug group that knows what type of healer they run with.

Like e.g. in Tyrannical weeks, some bosses really require a full blue bar. In Fortified weeks, I can go in at 50-60% usually.

I don’t even drink to max a lot, but some tanks just don’t wait at all.

Anyways, there’s some guides on youtube I followed, which are quite good. Sadly there’s not really amazing legendaries for disc.

Good luck!

Without seeing your gear, your logs (cooldown usage, group comp etc) we can only do guess work.

If you do ok as holy but struggle as disc, first impression is your group is taking avoidable damage. Second thought would be your group isn’t using flasks/ pots/ healthstones.

Alternatively, try to get more insight in the Priest discord: https://discord.gg/WarcraftPriests

1 Like

Talents matter a lot. Use twist of faith. Sometimes masochism can be good too, if you dont need a lot of mobility. Disc in m+ will sometimes have to spam a lot of shadow mend, and while you can be good at min-maxing atonement healing and using cds properly, you might not have the healing throughput that you need with smend spam without twist of faith. It all depends on the dungeon and affixes and how good your group is, but if you often feel like you lack healing throughput, twist is generally the answer.

If you’re already playing twist, then focus on cd management and/or find a better group :wink:

When you play disc, you really need masochism indeed :smiley:

Post with your disc that we can help you.

I haven’t had any issue playing disc in keys so far.
This one hasn’t done any m+ since many months though :joy:

You have a lot of tools (boon, radiance with the conduit, Rapture, barriere, etc).

Boon can be available on almost all packs of mobs and rapture almost has well.

But at some points you will not heal much with your atonement so you have to spam shadow mend (yes great gameplay I know) this is why you have to play with twist of fate, especially in pugs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.