Sexism, ANTI-LGBTQ+ and Skin-Based Racism has no place in RP in 2021

Thats all? No event? Or loot that often comes with that?

1 Like

That’s all, well, you do go help bc nightwarrior something something happy times.
But the line is all we really got about it.

1 Like

Nope, its a bit of fluff text.

Same with Pelagos.

Glad to see someone else feeling the same about this, but it’s disappointing to see that people are continuing their weird, self-inserty or edgy prejudice RP. Good on you for calling it out though OP, and I hope you and everyone else with any sense of tact continues to call out and distance themselves from this tastelessness.

10 Likes

It’s worth noting that for Night Elves sexism is/was a very real thing regarding who could become a druid or priest(ess) of Elune. I don’t entirely see the harm in recognising that in RP.

3 Likes

We should avoid having OOC blend with IC. It is not really fair to assume that every character is a self-insert, and played by a player who wants to get his political views across. Separating IC and OOC is always a very good thing to do. If it is blatant OOC fueled bigotry, then, yes, report it, else just leave it be.

My characters are not aware of 2021’s social issues either. We are roleplaying in a fantasy world after all.

I just treat them as if they’ve always been there.

2 Likes

Yes… orcs are best race… next to trolls.

1 Like

I agree normally, but having characters with IRL prejudices rather than WoW’s pre-established prejudices is always a bit of a red flag to me. Why play a homophobic character if you aren’t a homophobe and if you acknowledge that the root causes of IRL homophobia (religious beliefs or the belief that being gay is less masculine and thus worse than being straight) aren’t present on Azeroth? The same with skin colour or sexism?

Sorry if this comes off as accusatory, but I think it’s important to ask ourselves these sorts of questions sometimes when it comes to our characters.

1 Like

Its entirley fair, because RPing a trope that doesnt fit a fantasy world is completley without defence or reproach.

Also the Night Elf sexism thing is another flawed point, this doesnt work, because in the end the first Night Warrior was a man, a “gay” man, despite the current one being a woman.

While it is true Night Elves are inherantly Matriachal we have seen that the Archdruid was a man, and has always been, the priests of elune are not gender locked, infact, we see male priests in Val’Sharah.

Again, as I said “historic” lore is outdated, and no longer canon, nor should it be taken as such, older lore was written before newer conventions and had different values to what we have now.

If you really need to start justifying sexism/racism as an RP thing, you do have an inherant bias, even if you pretend its your characters attitude and not yours, it “Is” something you conjured, and you are the agent of your chars behaviour.

Furthermore, if that makes people uncomfortable to hear, then “good” because you should feel uncomfortable being judged for something that is inherantly wrong in the OOC world.

I might shoot myself in the foot here but…

Warcraft started off as a feudal fantasy setting, and that will unfortunately will mean that several cultures, will have diffrent views on this matter. We don’t have sufficent lore fortunately to make our own headcannon on how gender roles worked in the races such as humanity and orcs. I can however state that it’s probable that given humanity’s vrykul ancestry, women were capable to fight just like anyone and have a place in society and as for orcs? Women had been capable to fight there too and assume leadership role.

It’s where -there- is lore on sexism that it gets more tricky. Amongst Kaldorei, males used to have a position in society up until after the War of the Ancients when the majority of those males became druid and were excluded from the Priesthood and military, as those roles became more or less exclusive only to women. This took over 10.000 years to reverse, so you can assume given the mere recent change if you expect from an elf, it takes some damn time to go over this shift in society. The same very much happend with when the Highborne was excluded.

The thing is, I absolutely understand what you mean. Xenophobia, Sexism and any form of racist is abhorant and should not be tolerated in RL.

However, something I want to point out is that IC is IC and OOC is OOC. If the lore do state that the various races have diffrent gender views as well as racial views then I do think it should be lorefriendly to the game we RP in. Elves (And Gilneans to an extent) have a superiority complex that see themselves above everyone else. Kaldorei or at least females who serve Elune sees it as a privilege to themselves to belong to her Priesthood.

I don’t know what the other races have for gender view, but in order both remain lorefriendly as well be good roleplayers, I think it’s important that whatever happens in IC is not reflected to be the player’s view as well.

5 Likes

Tbh, at risk of being labelled as some epic fencesitting centrist, you can make your character an insufferable, hateful person filled to the brim with prejudice without being sexist or racist, with the latter focusing on characteristics that we don’t see being targetted ingame.

To add to that though, I wouldn’t report Mag’har RPers treating green-skilled orc warlocks with disgust, Bronzebeard dwarfs namecalling Dark Iron clan members or Darkspear Trolls assault Sandfury and Drakkari insurgents because all of these instances are entirely canon. Yet, in essence, they act on what skin color a given character has.

5 Likes

Looks at Draenei sexual dimorphism

I get the sentiment but Blizzard’s character designs don’t help in this at all.

People tend to misinterpret this.

A lot of us, including myself, consider OOC notes on sexuality/attraction/sexual preference a red flag that could potentially mark an ERPer. This is same for all characters, whether your TRP at first glance says “Homosexual”, “Heterosexual” or “Attracted to humans”, still a red flag.

11 Likes

Theres a reason they’ve eased out of gender view affairs in the last few expansions alone and it is entirley because old conventions and old lore no longer qualify as current lore, even if they were the games foundation, they have long lost meaning or value.

For example:

God was the bringer of Light in Warcraft 1, but now, the Light is a seperate entity entirley and lately its gone from a force that was specifically aligned with moral values to one that is aligned with personal religious zeal and loyalty to its ideals even if that makes you fanatic.

This is a change in the lore, but a change that was needed to adapt new conventions to the old.

In the same light, we no longer see as many gender barriers between night elves because 1, they’re race is practically on its last leg, and 2, they’re no longer able to pick and choose who flils the roles now vacant from a post-genocide war.

Again, this is not an argument that has a ground to stand on, and as for the feudal thing, no, just “no” we dont live in the life-is-feudal tier of RP, its an unhealthy way to RP and very, very bad RP.

1 Like

There is a pretty big difference though to a Gilnean being very nationalistic and fondly thinking about how great Gilneas is/was or a night elf priestess thinking she is closer to Elune than one of the guys, compared to Sir Roderick the Black Bear(human paladin) rolling up in Stormwind to tell all the women to go “make babies you wenches” spouting of homophobic slurs at passersbyers and trying to lynch the black merchant walking by.

5 Likes

On an unrelated note, why are characters’ romantic preferences even part of their OOC description in the first place? Are all my characters psychics now?

9 Likes

Gosh yeah. It’s kind of annoying that you can’t have a male draenei priest that doesn’t look like a fridge or a female draenei warrior who’s just a pencil, though thankfully we do have lore characters that show that men can be robe-wearing spellchuckers and women can go ham with a hammer*.

*This is the only time I will say anything positive about Yrel.

6 Likes

a dwarf from south dun morogh encounters an elf for the first time but despite the little to no knowledge he has about elves he instantly knows the elf is attracted to draenei males whom he has also never encountered

Yes… we are psychic.

2 Likes

I almost never fill out my profile beyond the bare basic names because I either get lazy or unsure what to write.

Nowdays I can pretend its a deliberate choice because its more accepted to not have a bunch of meta knowledge there. But there was a time when you got funny looks if your profile+AA page wasnt written like a Stephen King description.

I feel like a lot of profile elements are pretty firmly in the realm of “things I’d rather find out through RP”.

4 Likes

This is incorrect. The new lore hasn’t overwritten the matriarchal history of the night elves at all. Their society has changed, yes, but the sexist history still exists within the lore.

9 Likes