Shadowform needs looking at

Besides from the feedback from players about gameplay as a SP I just want to throw in my feedback on Shadowform its self…

I have played Shadow Priest since TBC, not always enjoyed it that’s for sure but it has been the class/spec I always go back to, and it has been for a very long time at this point. Its had its ups and downs (a lot of downs, unfortunately), its moments of renewal and moments of neglect (patch notes are proof of its neglect) but there is just something about the idea of a shadow priest that appealed to me.

So, Shadowform: Blizzard if you are reading this, please consider my idea, its not a fresh one i know but still here it is: Please Glyph the spell effect so we can actually opt in to see our characters.

Now i know ‘you have a glyph for shadowform’ but in truth this just makes you a purple transparent ghost. Its sad that since TBC I haven’t actually got to enjoy how I look in game. My options are: Dark purple solid humanoid silhouette or light purple transparent humanoid silhouette, this is admittedly ok if you don’t care about things like transmogs but honestly how I look in the dressing room vs how I look out and about is laughable at first and then more and more disappointing as the years wind by.
The amazing new artwork of new gear is simply lost to the visual effect of the aura we need to enable to play.

I don’t want to take it away from those who enjoy the look of it, but there are many of us out there who do not, which is why I thought glyphs would be a good way to solve it for both.

There are players who choose their characters for the playstyle and those who do so for the look. I am in both camps and I would just like to see my character without having to toggle the spell off and on every time.

In the way WoW plays in these modern times its seems clunky to have a spell, that’s in effect an aura, and need it so essentially for your damage, that you need to toggle yourself. If i may explain a bit more better by example:

In Mythics, if I die, shadowform is toggled off when I ress, why is this? Having the form toggled off makes no difference to spell choice, nothing changes on my spell bar to warrant the need to manually enable it, gameplay wise, it makes no difference, DPS wise, however, it does. It is essential to my damage.

So this is my second suggestion: Make it an aura that is part of the spec, not a spell.

Sorry for the long post and my bad grammar,
Wishing all a great day.

Thank you.

PS. Bring back glyph of shadow ravens like the scarlet raven priests have, that was cool!

4 Likes

I keep thinking about this ebony mail thing in Skyrim that would go all black and misty if enemies were near (and it would automatically dot them) - so this is me suggesting the shadow effect could show up only in combat.
Of course I’d still like an option to just turn it on anyway.
Sometimes you keep it on if you die and the smoggy stuff goes away, it looks far better tbh. But they could still make something more interesting with it.

1 Like

I actually think shadowform gives priests unique ability to utilise some transmog options.

Glows and things do show through shadowform and can make some very neat combinations. Aswell as spikier edged clothing.

However, wouldnt be any harm done if they made it optional.

This is something I’ve been wanting as well, since what’s essentially an aura we have to toggle as you say, while there’s no choice for other aura’s is a little silly. Shadowform’s 10% damage increase would do well to just be part of shadow in itself, and then perhaps we could have a vanity spell we can toggle on, if we like the look(Like balance druids and their Flap etc.). I get blizzards idea behind wanting people to see what form someone is in for the sake of “what’s going to happen” as with druids, or mages using Icy Veins or Combustion and such, and it makes sense for Voidform to have a visual effect, but Shadowform has little purpose at the moment, aside from flavour/thematic purposes.

this it what i want

this is ugliness we ended up with

1 Like

I like the big puffy purple cloud and I wish there was a way to increase the smoke like in BFA before they nerfed it. But people who don’t like the smog should be able to remove it.

yee, just make the damage buff from shadowform a passive already, and then make glyphs so people can choose which shadowform they want, easy

Saying that if yoy just turn off shadowform and dont change something. Its going to look like a poor mans warlock…

We dont exactly have alot of spell animation lol

Maybe why they dont do it, cant even say mind flay seperates us given warlocks have a version of that too.

Shadowform is pretty much shadows entire aesthetic. They may actually have to do something concerning our animations if they were to let us roam without

yup ! personally, I’d like a shadowform that just looked like a permanent voidform, since I really like how voidform looks. but then, it is how it is for the sake of other people being able to see which state we in. :smiling_face_with_tear:

I honestly preferred voidform.

What they should have done was: give shadow some actual aoe, or at least a way to spread dots to other targets.

And that would have made shadow priest perfect. And maybe try to reduce ramp up time a little bit.

The reason why i never really played legion priest, had nothing to do with the rotation, it was really cool, it just took to long to set up aoe. And in dungeons that was a problem.

But i really really liked the idea of voidform.

says the DH. :stuck_out_tongue: i hate void form i think cascade was an awesome concept blizzard just was scared of making something with. Instant cast cascade did loads of damage proc that with vampiric Embrace and you got your self a heal while your at it.

Void form is when your constipated and you dungaree don’t pop of… with a slow dungaree cast time that gets interrupted in todays meta with instant cast and you have to run a mile with tanks constantly running away from you when you try to use it.

remove void form not impressed doesn’t work

4 Likes

current iteration might feel off, but I personally really like the thematic part of it; briefly inching closer to the same maddening void from which we borrow all our dark powers from in the first place. especially legion’s mass hysteria was incredibly thematic for shadow, as it gave the feeling of giving away your sanity for power, which what the void part of shadow is all about, to which there’s none left in Spriests current iteration, which is sad. even if it did end up being a balancing nightmare.

#bringbacklegionvoidformandmasshysteria :neutral_face:

that said, I’d love if they made eruption baseline instant and off global cd, or made voidform it’s own cd(instant and off global), and instead made eruption either a short cd, or insanity aoe spender, possibly with the cascade effect… :thinking:

While voidform was not perfect it definitely did pop off in the correct situation, so you’re straight up wrong on that, it just didn’t perform that well on low health targets.

Overall, legion shadow, had way more potential that it does right now.

1 Like

It’s still important to keep us relevant in the modern meta, and it’s only real down side is that we have to to cast Void Eruption to get into it, separate the two and make Voidform instant, off GCD and castable while casting

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.