Shadowlands ending, what's up with the undead?

What is the future of the undead on Azeroth? If we defeat Jailer Zoval and we killed evil guys in Maldraxxus, like Kel’thuzad, what will channel the power of undeath into Azeroth now? Cause the necromancy appeared here cause of leak of Powers from Shadowlands as it seems. But if Maldraxxus are good guys and should protect the cycle of Shadowlands is it not logical to take those “poor” souls back into the cycle? Should the Scourge just disappear as a thing, no? cause they literally seem to be powered by powers from The Maw and Maldraxxus. And Forsaken as well, even tho they got part of the brains working properly, still live because of that power. They are all just souls that were misdirected by Zovals plans and turned into weapons to feed the Maw.

I myself hate that idea, BUT If we “CHAMPIONS” SAVE the Shadowlands- I think it’s logical that Scourge and Forsaken just rest in peace and get recycled in Shadowlands no?.. I hate it, writers why?

3 Likes

Don’t think about it. The writers at Blizzard don’t, so neither should you!

26 Likes

but it’s sad… :c

1 Like

First of all, Steve and his writing team don’t care about the lore, especially stuff that came before they were in charge, so nor should you. Wait until (hopefully) a new and competent writing team takes over and retcons the recent lore.

Second of all, to try and give an actual answer, they are probably preparing with something related to Calia, the Light, and Odyn’s yellow val’kyr to justify “undead” going forward. Or they will simply say there are no more new undead to be made ever.

Either way, don’t think about it and waste your passion on speculation when the writers themselves don’t care and also probably hate you or at least look down on you because in their eyes you’re too dumb to get it.

Channel your passion into something else where people care.

14 Likes

Ortellus and Coldfingers are right.

But if you want to try and come up with some answer to make up for Blizzard’s incompetence, you can always imagine that once the animating magic has been cast, it becomes self-sustaining. Undeath doesn’t require a constant flow of death magic from the Maw, it just needs enough to get the ball rolling.

Maybe it could become impossible to create more undead in the future if the Maw gets destroyed, or maybe not. Maybe the ability to reanimate the dead is just a natural use of death magic, and not inherently tied to the Maw and the Jailer, even though those two things are the source of the majority of Azeroth’s undead issues.

… But the truth is that the writers haven’t thought about anything outside of the Shadowlands for quite some time now. Come up with your own answer that you’re happy with, because Blizzard sure won’t do that job for you.

3 Likes

I reckon the undead outside of the Shadowlands will still continue existing. Without either a Lich King or the Mawsworn to control them, I reckon the undead on Azeroth will either turn rabid, now that nobody is commanding them anymore, like a horde of ants losing their queen. Though some of the stronger, named undead will probably manage to grab portions of the rampaging undead for themselves and act on their own agendas.

I for one would love the undead to go rabid. We need more chaos in Azeroth.

1 Like

Aren’t just the methods a trick from the shadowlands? That’s a cat that’s hard to put back into the bag.

Ultimately tho I don’t think Maldraxxus cares about some necromancers on Azeroth (they need competent candidates in the future, no?) not to mention that death is a cOsMiC fOrCe which sounds kind of hard to lock away.

i simply echo the above: Blizzard hasn’t thought about this, nor will they ever. It’s just going to be one of oh so many abandoned story threads.

3 Likes

Holy crap, you just came up with an actual, potential benefit of Blizz retcons!

Blizzard’s justification for how it works “makes” “sense”, in a very limited capacity.

So there’s infinity alternate timelines right, with infinity AU versions of each character running around
but the Shadowlands is one Shadowlands across all timelines
Instead of there being a bunch of AU duplicates, Blizzard had the genius ‘interesting’ idea of having all the AU versions get slammed into one Shadowlands existence, merging together, using a rope analogy which is very funny to me and will never not be funny to me.

So the logic goes that when Johnny Necromancer drags your soul back from the shadowlands to ram into their abomination, they don’t pull your entire soul out of shadowlands, they just pull one of the timeline ‘strands’ from your ‘rope’.

Unless blizzard do some more worldbuilding destruction in shadowlands, the Jailer stuff shouldn’t affect living-realm undead/necromancy at all. And the reason I know this will be the case is because they don’t want anything important from this expac to carry over into the next one.

1 Like

I believe blood and shadow magic is very capable of undead raising too. Maybe this doesn’t relate too much to it but I honestly think all Blizz will do is forget it or wing it. The way I see it is they’ll stop focusing on the core races, what makes them unique and push everyone into one narrative of good doing hero with penchant for unity which apparently everyone in WoW is now lore wise after. Looks at Tyrande

Don’t be sad that it happened, be happy that it’s over.

Unfortunately I think whilst the Shadowlands held great potential for storytelling, they’ve squandered and wasted it all on a redemption arc for one of the least likeable and poorly written characters I’ve seen in a video game. Even though personally I really like the covenants and have had characters that have visited the shadowlands, I don’t think it’ll ever be mentioned in my roleplay and essentially soft retconned to where only mentions of those events will prompt discussion.

Also I can’t imagine the sheer uproar from the playerbase if Blizzard did just put the Forsaken to rest.

That ain’t it chief

Legitimately the most absurd thing I’ve ever read, and re-read, and re-read.

Wanted to use that rope analogy to hang myself.

5 Likes

I’m kind of hoping Calia Menethil takes the reins over the Undead as a faction and that they establish a new foothold somewhere. I can live and dream…

1 Like

nothing more exciting for forsaken players than having the blandest, most boring character become their new faction leader because she has the divine right of kings, I guess

m*narchists really be like this :nauseated_face:

12 Likes

Blizzard punishing players with the monkey paw tactic.

People got upset when she claimed she had no intention of being involved in Lordaeron affairs during Legion, so the devs go “oh yeah well maybe she’ll be their new queen then, maybe she’ll get super saiyan powers, maybe she’ll be a lightforged undead with no flaws at all and everyone will love her is that what you want because we’ll do it

4 Likes

not a single forsaken RPer wants this

5 Likes

Fair enough. I’m just slightly bias because I sympathized for the would-be defectors in ‘Before the Storm’. The Forsaken who asked Calia for aid in being reunited with their loved ones.

That being said, perhaps I don’t fully appreciate what it means to be Forsaken ICly; as I’ve never played one. I know there are a fair few Sylvannas loyalists about, so I’m not surprised most would disagree with me.

A really key thing is that Calia isn’t forsaken.
Nor has she ever been.

To have the Forsaken faction be lead by someone who became a special pretty undead and is loved by everyone and friends with everyone and the personal therapist of both the dark rangers and the Proudmoore family and a personal friend of the High King of the Alliance who also instantly got a seat on the Horde council despite having done nothing.

y’know

it just doesn’t quite add up.

9 Likes