Shadowlands is not real death

Nowhere.

But if something happens to your soul there, if something destroys it, that soul is gone. There is no afterlife beyond Shadowlands.

More at http://lorekeeper.net/en/maldraxxus-shadowlands-and-beyond-interview-with-steve-danuser/

gl hf

1 Like

Or we just leave it at “your character doesn’t know and won’t ever know while alive”, restoring some of the mystery of death.

You’ll find out!

World of Warcraft: Shadowy Shadowlands, coming soon.

In seriousness, I honestly do not know. This is the kind of ambiguity that I hope won’t get cleared out of fear something worse will come out of it.

Exactly this. “Trust in the purpose” where your soul is basically just the trash in a recycling system that ultimately serves to sustain the Shadowlands itself. Expected something meaningful for your afterlife? Sucks for you.

Welcome, dearly departed. Please step into our wine press. This will only take a minute, but it will feel like… oh, nine millenia. Don’t think about it!

I mean, I get that absolving souls to keep them from the Maw is a thing, but then they go on to other afterlives where their precious soul juice is used for something else. Their existence beyond being milked in whatever state seems unnecessary besides maintaining the machinery and they don’t need pesky things like self awareness and contentment for that.

All we see of the afterlife, bureaucracy aside, could be done by constructs and much of it actually is. Actually letting the cogs in the machine have thoughts and opinions seems actively detrimental to the process and Purpose.

Nothing makes sense because the lore isn’t written in such a way as to explain anima and the existence of afterlife realms beyond game mechanics and farmable currency and it leaves everything so hollow.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.