Shadowpriest tuning

While the changes affect the dps (specifically aoe) , it’s essential to highlight that SP’s damage output isn’t the principal reason they are currently leading in M+. It’s more about how the dungeons and affixes in DF S1 and S2 align with the SP’s versatile utility toolkit. SP’s capabilities range from MD for Bursting/Magic Debuffs, Mind Control, Fade for Entanglement, PI for boosting party DPS, VE for off-healing in high damage scenarios, to Cleanse Disease in UR/BH.

The recent AOE nerf feels somewhat excessive, hence my request for an additional charge to Shadow Crash. Nerfs to VT, SWP, and Psylink notwithstanding, the issue of DOT application remains. Shadow Crash in particular can be problematic, especially when e.g. Lashers spawn frequently or if a player encounters obstacles like ceilings, pillars, or moving mobs.

The prowess of other classes such as DHs and Rogues in keys has been notable, and they have consistently outperformed decent sps. I believe that simply reducing damage is not the correct solution. It’s my hope that these are just not well thought out emergency tunings for SP and that the SP damage changes will be revised as swiftly as they were nerfed.

On the flip side, having always had to main another Caster DPS (Mage/Lock/Moonkin) due to the negative community perception of SPs in M+, I’m somewhat pleased that SPs are now highly sought after in M+.

However, the focus seems to have shifted too far from SP’s damage capabilities to its utility. As others have mentioned, it’s primarily the utility skills like mass dispel, PI, mind soothe, and dominate mind that have made the priest so potent in M+. The decision to nerf the AOE damage seems misplaced when the issue wasn’t necessarily with SP’s damage output. The solution could involve granting other classes more utility and adjusting ours accordingly. If my role is primarily to support, I might as well play an augment.

Classes like the Assassination Rogue, despite their current shortcomings, haven’t received any changes yet. We expect updates to come in due time, but this situation underlines a broader issue about accepting and utilizing the tweaks made to classes.

In essence, I’m truly grateful for Blizzard’s efforts to strengthen our utility role, but it’s a disservice to construe Shadow Priest as merely a utility bot. The SP’s role in M+ isn’t exclusively about damage, and nerfing this aspect isn’t a holistic solution. Let’s aim for a balance that appreciates the SP’s versatile toolkit while addressing the current limitations of other classes.

tldr: I don’t appreciate the update and will drop my sub.

7 Likes

Can’t agree more on this.

5 Likes

Shadow is history for now. After the next weekly reset, we disc priests finally take their place in the meta comp.

1 Like

I don’t care about disc, but thanks for the insight.

1 Like

crap on a fest table

1 Like

Are we referring to your posts on multiple characters here, or the spec?

1 Like

make it NO CD and dot anything within a 15 yards radius where it lands and also auto cast on the target you currently targeting Ty.

2 Likes

aoe and single target nerf within 2 weeks of a single target buff tells you all you need to know.

SO MUCH changing around mid season just doesn’t feel necessary.

I agree with what you are saying in this post mr.

As for the mythic + 16s and 17s i run and doing what i did before im now 30-40k dps behind them when i was in the same ballpark THUS im doing about 30-40Million dps less over the course of a dungeon run, no matter whom are the dps i haven’t beaten anyone.

Thats a big change. Im not elite but im not new to it all either but that change for doing the same thing…just not good enough from them.

2 Likes

blizzard has a hate-bone against Spriest AOE fr.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly concur.

Just checked warcraftlogs and found the first key i could, druid has 93k overall dps. For you to go from a bottom of the barell dps to 30k behind solely due to blizzard nerfs would mean they nerfed your damage output by 37%. The actual nerfs were 5% on ideal sized pulls, 3% on mega pulls and 1% on single target. The remaining 32-36% is skill issue.

www-warcraftlogs-com/reports/WbCRa1VFfHw26NPA#fight=7&type=damage-done

I don’t like the changes that’s certain.

I play less now than i did shadowlands and yet shadow lands sucked to but this class rework sucks as much life force out of you and happieness too mage can with 1 button do 900k meanwhile your on 200k trying to hard cast everything F***kin thing and they ask you Pi me Pi me.

this game blows.

1 Like

You went to the logs and found the “first key” you could and started throwing out percentages. 1 log with a druid is nowhere near an accurate data sampling for any mathematical conclusion, on any thing.

There are variables, key level, group comp (dps classes, utility, melle vs tang, hard cast vs insta-cast, etc), buffs, affixes, tank pulls/methods, group help (efficient usee of aoe stuns, interrupts, cc, etc), pug vs coordinated runs, and so on.

100 “logs of a druid” wont prove, or disprove, what the original commenter was saying. It’s a big picture type of issue, including the variables above and probably some I missed.

Looking at one log and jumping to it’s “a skill issue” is one reason problems like this exist.

I picked up Spriest (this xpac) maybe 4-5 weeks ago.

In Normal Aberrus immediately blue parsed early on, with several orange ilvl parses. Moved on to heroic now and i just got my first 100 ilvl parse, and a 98 on Zaq Assault.

In M+ I pulled respectable dps, sometimes top overall never far away from 2nd or 3rd. Now, I am approx. 15-25% behind many dps classes, especially non-static cast aoe classes.

Remember the variables? I’m talking 16 keys, pugs, varied tanks pulls/styles/irregular movements (rip shadow crash), varied comps, etc…

I’ve been logging each run and reviewing nightly. I’m better geared than I was 3 weeks ago, certainly more “skilled”, than I was 3 weeks ago yet I too have also lost a significant dps.

The Devs, and anyone else, can drop the smug skill related excuses. That’s not it, at least not across the board.

If other spriests are still doing well, across all key ranges, and all variables/comps, maybe they can share 5-10 of their logs?

If enough list their logs, then the devs can (or some of us will) take a look and see what is skill related, and what is not (all other variables).

Remove Pi.-

I see, thelanah and his 50 alts army is on necro-spree.

Seriously dude i think you should get muted for this. Its not funny anymore.

they just hate the class down to the core.

2 Likes

2 talents for dot spread lol

This all makes perfect sense to me, as a maining SP.

Looking at numbers if my mere +16 dungeons, as im a just for fun kinda guy, i used to enjoy damage numbers in line with other dps np at all but now im basically always lagging in 3rd and very often 4th behind the tank too…just doing what i usually do…so its made quite the change and getting into pug groups is taking much longer than it was, which seems quite the obvious direct relation to the fact.

I did a bunch of 17s the week before last to get my vault because nobody was doing high keys. I found my damage was lower than it usually is but I was still holding my own and topping meters, big bursty pulls I was losing to warriors / hunters but by the end the overalls had my back up there.