Shaman help

I want to do mythic + and some arena as a resto shaman but I don’t know what covenant is best for both types of gameplay. any advice / help would be grateful thanks

For a first approximation about classes, I rely on Icy Veins.

It looks like your choice will be between Necrolord and Venthyr, both being top-two for M+ and PvP, but deciding which advantages you want is something you will probably want to dive into a bit, to figure which benefits suit you personally.

I’d start with the pages I link below, and if you want to hear more check out YouTube or the Shaman Discord.

Shaman

Spec Raiding Mythic+ Torghast+
Elemental Shaman Necrolord Necrolord Night Fae
Enhancement Shaman Venthyr Venthyr Venthyr
Restoration Shaman Necrolord Venthyr Kyrian

Necrolord is a specialized option for raiding, while Kyrian is a good catch-all specialization, and so is Venthyr, which is very close in power to Kyrian. Night Fae is weaker than the rest.

When looking at the relative difficulty of optimizing your Covenant ability usage, Venthyr is easy, Kyrian is average and Necrolord is hard, so make sure to pick a Covenant suited to your WoW experience / gameplay preference, as otherwise it will be hard to have any fun with it!
https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/restoration-shaman-pvp-best-covenants-soulbinds-conduits-and-legendary-powers

While all Covenants are usable for Restoration Shamans, we would like to recommend using the Necrolord if you want to focus on healing.

The main reason why Necrolord is so strong for us is because Primordial Wave Icon Primordial Wave allows for easy healing of spread out targets, which has always been our main weakness. Unfortunately, it deals no damage, unlike all the other Covenants.

If damage is very important to you, any of the other three Covenants is fine (with Night Fae only being worth it on single target), but the way the damage is dealt is very different:

• Kyrian has Vesper Totem Icon Vesper Totem, which allows for flexible, frequent small bursts of damage and healing. You will likely have to relocate the totem frequently in order to get maximum benefit out of both effects, making it challenging to optimize.
  • Venthyr hits hard with Chain Harvest Icon Chain Harvest, which is a long cooldown, big burst of damage and healing. Due to its “one-press” nature, it is the easiest Covenant ability to use well.
  • Night Fae deals the highest single target damage out of all Covenants with Fae Transfusion Icon Fae Transfusion. Unfortunately, this damage is split among targets hit, requires you to channel for 3 seconds and the released healing has very limited range, making it a challenging ability to get consistent value with.

While it can be argued that spread healing is most important in raiding while damage is invaluable in mythic+ and PvP, choosing the best Covenant for Resto Shaman mostly comes down to your personal gameplay (and aesthetic) preferences. We listed the strengths and weaknesses of each Covenant above. Choose one, and continue reading to discover more on how to use its abilities, Soulbinds and Conduits.

All healing done by the Covenant abilities and their secondary effects feeds into Cloudburst Totem Icon Cloudburst Totem, even the healing from Vesper Totem Icon Vesper Totem.

Here are the best Covenants for (PvP) Restoration Shaman.

1. Necrolord is the best Covenant you can choose. This gives you another Riptide Icon Riptide and allows you to heal all targets with Riptide hot on them with Healing Wave Icon Healing Wave. It also provides you with an absorption shield, which can be a useful additional shield or to stop incoming crowd-control.

The Wowhead guide agrees

As with many other classes and specs in PvP, Restoration Shamans have a single covenant that stands above the rest in a PvP setting. Currently, the Necrolord’s class ability Primordial Wave compliments a Resto Shaman’s playstyle perfectly, given that it’s yet another instant heal you can add to your toolkit which is something that Resto Shamans thrive on.

Another major factor that plays into making the Necrolords your most powerful covenant is the combination of Fleshcraft with the soulbind Ultimate Form. This opens up the opportunity to outplay opponents by making yourself immune to incoming crowd control if timed well.

Playing as a Venthyr Restoration Shaman in PvP

Chain Harvest was much stronger on the beta but the damage aspect of it has since been nerfed, meaning that you won’t find too much use out of this covenant ability outside of casting it for some additional heals.

With that being said, both Thrill Seeker and Familiar Predicaments are also excellent features of this covenant, and are what make it your second best choice. Although you won’t benefit too much Thrill Seeker’s Haste proc, Familiar Predicaments is a much bigger deal and this alone makes Venthyr a strong alternative pick.

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is what I needed, thank you for taking the time to post all this for me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.