Shaman is due an overhaul

I’m not a main shaman player but I saw what was done for other classes and then I look at shaman and think: Does Blizzard not care about this class as much?

• Ascendance needs to be a visual where lightning and air suffuses your character and their eyes glow with lightning. Not some weird transformation into a low quality mob from an expansion over ten years ago

• Enhancement feels good and looks cool but is way too complicated to pull off under pressure. And yes, I know it can be done but it’s twice the effort for the same result. Needs to be trimmed a bit or helped to make smoother?

• Weapon imbues are pointless. You can get three, and one of them for healing isn’t that great and the other two are mandatory and locked to your main- and offhand. Why is flametongue a spell? It deals 0 damage and all it does is make another skill not stink? Can it be made to do damage again? Can we have frost and earth weapons back please? For some actual choice and variety

• Can we have the Ardenweald spirits for our spirit form please? Each shaman would have such a totem animal that resonates most with their personality. How cool would it be to be able to choose what yours is and use that?

• Can shaman get some durability buffs for PvP? It’s the weakest melee class there. You go in and may god bless your soul because aside from some offheals and one CD, you’re going to take that beating. Most melee classes have tools to deal with being in melee. Except shaman?

• Where did the totem wheel go? Didn’t we have a really cool system where you had earth, fire, water and air totems that you could pick and choose and then drop them for various effects? This needn’t replace the current totems as skills system but c’mon, give us back some of it.

• Resto feels a bit basic. It’s chill that it plays more like a vanilla healer but a few more synergies and cool skill interaction would be great. Right now the whole spec feels like you’re just working towards turning your next chain heal into a chain nuke. Nice, but kinda boring?

• Tank spec? Like y’know… people have been suggesting for over 15 years?

There might be more, or less. But I feel like shaman is due some love. Some Blizz devs leaning over a class that clearly didn’t get the attention paladin did, or many other classes did. It would be nice to see them get a rework that makes them feel really cool again.

3 Likes

As i always said,legion was the best iteration:
-Frostbrand and flametongue was a real skill that damage and buff your weapon,not those gimmick we have atm
-Crashing storm that our aoe did in legion/bfa visually,same for stormlash (the ascendance form of stormstrike,and the link of thunder that buffed our allied,both iteration was cool)
-Windsong that was a good spell but in a row that has low priority compared to the other talent
-The storm spikes and magma spike stormstrike was proccing
-the vodoo totem for aoe hex…
-Unleash element (frost,fire and wind from mop)
-The unleash fury from mop (after unleash of wind you could proc your lightning shield on auto and wf)
-Lavalash that could spawn a fire tornado on the ennemy,a idea that could be developped
The only time i liked using a hothand build was also in legion when it could do a heavy dot.Legion enhancement was the best iteration for me it needed some ajustment (frost shock available for exemple)
It wasn’t perfect but it got a lot of good idea.

2 Likes

It seems then that shaman has gotten and lost many skills throughout the years. Some of which it could be given back, it certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea to give them some more defensives. Playing a shaman and pala in melee is like playing a different game.

I really think it’s high time to not only unlock the class for all races, given the current theme of the expansion, but as they do so, take a good long look at the class and uplift it to 2023 standards.

A part of me hopes they will, another part of me has no hope for anything and expects only disappointment as far as the eye can see.

Enhancement is fine as it is IMO. It’s probably the most fun melee in the game and part of that is because it’s more than a 4 button spec and actually has options that aren’t just gimmicks. I don’t want it to be simplified.

Pretty sure totem wheel was a addon.

Totems were always on the Totem bar.

If you call pushing 13 buttons for the same output as someone pushing 3 or 4 then sure it’s a load of “fun”.

All shaman specs have lost their unique element. Ele was ofc elemental spells, enhancement focus’d on the melee, and Restoration always on healing.

Now Resto spells does more damage than ELE but less than enhance, enhance does the same abilities as Ele but with some stupid buff buttons in between.

It’s honesly a sad mess. They need to bring back 2h Enhance and actually make it how it was, not this watered down gross DW garbage, never have I ever liked DW Shaman, as soon as TBC came around it felt awful cos you did small fast attacks, and WF Enhance was always about those slow big slaps, I remember getting twig of the world tree in vanilla and absolutely wrecking everything I came across.

They’ve seriously lost vision of the Shaman, and the entire shaman team need a firing. They stink.

3 Likes

Kinda an over simplification of what RShaman really is. :smiley:

Granted RShaman could use an update to put it in line with modern times. But its far from basic.

I would add, that its the top healer in pug world because it offers the best reactive healing tools out there. Also, the sheer amount of interrupts and CC can carry a key.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.