Should customers be able to provide their own artisan mettle for guaranteed max rank?

I returned to DF shortly before 10.2 and I certainly think the new profession are a lot more interesting than it was in the past, with an actual sense of progression.

But as i’m taking more and more orders, I find it weird that customers are able to provide their own artisan mettle for profession items and item recrafts, but are unable to to provide artisan mettle for illustrious insight.

Was there any design reason to separate these two? I think it would be a lot easier for customers using the order system, that when they send a personal order for a rank 5 item, they are able to see an option to provide 50 mettle.

This would A. show them exactly what their order needs in terms of actual costs to the crafter, without the ambiguity if this is a ‘free’ item that just needs a service tip or costs actual materials to be made in their desired rank. B. it allows customers to determine what their own artisan mettle is worth to them and the option to provide it themselves without haggling.

Now I understand the original thought was most likely to limit the amount of max rank items a crafter could produce in a given week. But since customers are able to provide artisan mettle via recrafts anyway, and proc rank 5, it seems to exist purely as nuisance barrier?

Thoughts?

Edit: Believe it or not, the vast majority of my customers have no idea about skill and difficulty levels, or what the cut-off points are for each individual item.

So when I tell them I can do their 476 item for 500g as they requested, and when their order comes in it turns out they squeezed in an embellishment they did not mention. I have to have this whole customer service explanation why the difficulty level now exceeds that of the ‘free cut-off’ point and I have to charge them for either insight or materials.

Now I don’t mind doing that once or twice, but imagine having to do that 3 times a day, every day, with people thinking it’s just ‘click-of-button’ and ‘free gold’ with me having the intend to scam them.

When it at least shows up in the order menu, that artisan mettle is needed for rank 5, that alone would save me so much time and mental stress.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.