Should roles be spec locked?

So some of you may have noticed that Coren Direbrew was an absolute pushover if you had halfway decent gear.

You may also have noticed that unless you have particularly good gear, the Headless Horseman can actually cause problems in the third phase.

Or more specifically: it can cause problems when your ‘healer’ is a Feral Druid and your ‘tank’ is a Fury Warrior, so the Horseman goes around picking everyone off.

So yeah. Wiping on the Headless Horseman. Because people are using the role selection as a way to get faster queues and then not doing the role they signed up for.

So what do you think? Should players be forced to be in the specific spec they intend to play when they sign up with the LFG tool, and be unable to change out of that spec until the queue has popped and the objectives cleared?

11 Likes

You sign as tank the dungeon you enter you and lock you as tank and if you dont have the gear lock you out for signing as that role .
I feel sorry for the countless groups atm suffering due to troll tanks and healers .

9 Likes

No tank has managed to hold aggro against me but I never thought to check if they were actually in tank spec. I don’t really blame them when I do over 50% damage for the whole group. Lots of people are on alts.

Is it a big problem with people in the wrong specs?

Seen a fair few groups actually wipe this year and thats a first i am just there for daily XP as its huge atm but i do feel sorry for the healers who try to heal frost/arm/fury/unholy/ret tanks :frowning:

7 Likes
1 Like

That sucks. I’ve not done it much this year. My life is Najzatar and group finder.

1 Like

I am free elf after getting Harvester mount ,i really want soundless but doing that intro is just so annoying i am in awe of you and how you have done it so many times .
I want Fabulous aswell so now i am done with Mech i will move to there i guess :smiley:

2 Likes

I now have 29 Horde and 5 Alliance doing Soundless.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Wasn’t it enforced in some instanced content?
I remember doing a dungeon on my priest some years ago and I wanted to change from shadow to disc but was prevented from doing so. It may have been mythic+

But yes, those that don’t play the spec they sign up as in the headless horseman scenario should be cursed to not have the mount drop for them. Ever.

2 Likes

It is in some yes you are correct .

If you get it, can you use it as a hunter pet, or a mount, or both?

1 Like

It’s the mount I’m after although some hunters take great delight in trolling groups trying to tame it. Some groups just don’t take hunters any more.

2 Likes

:laughing:ha ha you’re tired like me. OK night night, good luck with Soundless, he is awesome.

2 Likes

I keep editing and I keep making it worse. Oh my goodness!!

Fixed it.

2 Likes

Had 2 groups in a row yesterday I was healing and the warrior tanks were in arms spec.

Wiped on them both.
Kicked the tanks on each occasion and when we got proper tanks did it with easy.

So yeah, you get role locked rather than spec locked (ie a mage can swap to fire/frost/arcane but a pally can’t swap from prot to retro)

3 Likes

Auto-grouping LFG should absolutely lock you into a spec - if you queue up as a healer on your Priest, trying to swap to Shadow should pop up with a notice “you are not eligible to do that as a Healer” for instance.

The benefit to the group of being able to swap role in LFG is absolutely tiny, but the drawback is usually hugely detrimental. Swapping-specs is generally an entirely selfish act to try and govern their faster queue times, but more often than not screwing the other 4 members of the group over by doing so.

3 Likes

The biggest problem with Headless Horseman is that you have to wait 2 minutes before you kick the trolls.

So have fun with Windwalker Monk healing you.

2 Likes

Or not healing you and expecting the tank to be able to cope without heals.

Which if they’re a high geared Blood DK might work. Otherwise LOL.

2 Likes

laughs in Nazjatar geared warrior