Should we go back to old gearing systems?

imo, mostly yes. like he says, 3 "catch up systems already, but what are we actually catching up to as 2nd tier isn’t even out till wednesday. though i do like that alts can be quickly geared to a competitive lvl.

and again, remove wf/tf.

so, could you list 5 items you’re currently wearing?

i forget my neck even its that bad! i knew i had a pvp trinket, but didn’t know the name.

so, could you remember any items you had as current gear during TBC, or even WotLK?

on my first toon, prot pala, i remember saving up the mats to finally get Bracers of the Green Fortress. and constantly looking on AH to see if it was going at a cheaper price than the mats while i was still farming them!

and on this rogue, i remember having the one of the first weapons, Greed or Pride. then the pain trying to get an upgrade for it during ulduar and nothing ever dropping :frowning:

15 Likes

Catch up gear existed since very early in the game. Its first introduction was in TBC with the ZA additions to the badge vendor and ZA itself.

If everything else was fine, engaging and fun, people wouldn’t care about this or wf/tf. But it’s a good time to try to make subscribers in youtube right now by jumping on the bandwaggons of WoW.

WF/TF
Gear progression
Horde racials

Pick any of those and you have a hive mind ready to support whatever argument you make and show your video around as if it’s gospel.

Seriously, if only people made as many videos and threads for more important matters like class unpruning, profession bonuses, non-RNG and non-timed gated content…

11 Likes

I’d love to go back to being able to say, “Yes, I have the Hairy Chestplate of Pling Plong; it’s my BiS. I need to farm this boss to get the Iron Slippers of Doom or else do that dungeon to get the Foot Gloves of Slapping People. They are rarer but are equally BiS”.

I dislike this RNG upgrade system that means the most mundane of item drops can now outshine what is meant to be an epic moment when you get loot from a Heroic Raid Boss!

5 Likes

Just another Youtuber making money with angry men. People who remember the names of their items 10 years ago are mentally ill

1 Like

I have to admit I don’t remember the name of anything I used to have from previous expansions apart from my Artifact - Ashbringer. I couldn’t even name all the ones from the other classes/specs.

1 Like

The only item I can ever remember is actually from Legion. Aggramar’s Conviction.
Why do I remember it? Because I ran that raid every week since it’s launch and didn’t get it until the 20th kill.

“But at least you got it?” You may say. I got it on our first HC kill of Argus, after we got the curve, the raiding team disbanded until BFA.
Gutted doesn’t even start to describe how I felt. Me not getting that trinket was a guild meme.

4 Likes

Ooh I can probably name various legendaries.

Outside of a couple of items, Shadomourne on my warrior when current, and the trinket from ICC that turned me into a Tauren when proc’ing I can remember most item names.

And in fairness if it becomes that we are going to have to wear something so long that you remember its name things will get pretty boring.

We should go back to old everything to be honest

6 Likes

In the Summer you can :wink:

2 Likes

Well I think classic it’s only the beginning… I expect BC or Wotlk to be playable soon too …

3 Likes

Oh yes, counting the days my friend. Human warrior or undead rogue though… choices.

2 Likes

erm…i played wotlk a lot…

deathbringer’s will
dislodged foreign object
tiny abomination in a jar
shadowmourne
egg of mortal essence
death’s verdict or idk it had two names
solace of something

damn, i remember more than i thought! Tho i did think about it for a minute.

The things I remember the most are the weapons which did look amazing and which had the legendary quest chain through which the players had to go to obtain them. Most people which played in vanilla know about the Benediction for example or Rhok’delar. And since I played the priest in Legion I still love the look of my legendary staff for the holy spec from back than the T’uure, Beacon of the Narru and got my staff mogged into it or the famous " knaifu " for the shadow spec which is Sylvanas using in this xpac. Also probably most of the players know about the iconic Illidan Twin Blades of Azzinoth which are still among the coolest weapons added in the game ever and it was a matter of the prestige for the rogues to have those in TBC.

There have been people caring about these things since they were introduced, especially Titanforging. The expansion being in a sad state only amplifies the dissatisfaction. It’s simply a matter of more and more people getting pushed over the edge.

Can you honestly say that the current system is better than what we had in, say, Siege of Orgrimmar? Very limited warforging, fixed item stats and sockets, gear upgrades using Valor, tier sets.

Once you got a piece you wanted you slapped some gems into it, enchanted it and were done until a higher difficulty.

Catch-up gear was also limited to only ~LFR gear levels and was relatively hard to farm if I remember correctly, so if you saw somebody with nearly double your HP you knew exactly where they had gotten that gear from and that they were at least competent at the game.

This was the one thing that got me into raiding back then - seeing DKs with 10mil HP obliterating everything in Timeless Isle. The only way to get to that point was raiding, so I raided because I wanted to be able to do the same, and it turns out I enjoyed it.

Compare that to nowadays where you can get 370+ equipped with doing nothing but queued and world content + the occasional titanforge. It’s bloody dumb and gives no reason for a casual player to try harder content that they might end up enjoying.

4 Likes

When I was doing normal/HC (now HC/Mythic in name) Dragon Soul the agil trinket (Vial of ?, it was a black vial which did random shadow damage), the one that drops from all bosses only dropped once, on the 2nd last clear we did. Meanwhile every str class including me (the solo tank, yes I solo tanked the entire instance weekly) had a bone fethis. Kinda felt bad for him, but atleast BiS was BiS and not “Well super duper TF with socket trinket from world boss y is BiS” take away the forging and “That item is pre-raid BiS”.

Forging may be allowed to stay but either only: +5 and +10, go back to MoP/WoD with +6 or +15 but we will use valor (MoP and WoD style) to upgrade items of our choice. Socket? Get rid of the RNG and just include them as standard again. JC is dieing at this point, it’s nearly pointless.

The upgrade required the token from TI was either a:

-Very rare drop
-Given free only once per char
-Farm coins and buy one (high price)
-Farm coins and gamble at the cave.

It was stronger than LFR but weaker or as strong as flex, wanted normal or HC gear? Or in today’s terms HC or mythic, GO RAID!

Edit: How did I forget get JP/VP/badges for PvE and get back a gear vendor, bring back tier and add a PvP vendor where you buy your gear with CP.

Times change, I don’t mind players getting like they got in the Wotlk the catchup gear once the new raid was released from the badge system which was equal to the normal one ( current heroic ) from the previous tier. And I agree with everyone who says how the vendors and the tier sets were much better solution for the gearing than the azerite system. Blizzard should also make the gemming and enchanting how they used to be in the past. And if titanforge will stay have it caped to 15 max so that it doesn’t go to some ridiculous number.

I dont care about gear at all, other than I need to choose my own gear. Pvp Pve it should be my choice.

1 Like

Yes Blizzard should separate those, so that PvP players aren’t forced to do PvE content to do the things they like.

Badge vendor didnt have full set, ZA wasnt “free loot” encounter, but raid, nor offered best ilvl at time. While now we have month and half of free mythic raid ilvl.

1 Like